We are so happy to be hosting an ‘offsite event’ here at San Diego Comic Con, and can’t wait to party like Hobbits and Dwarves with you all. So here are a few fast little facts you all need to know about the party.
1) The Laketown Luau is located at the Kona Kai resort and runs from 7pm to 10pm. 1551 Shelter Island drive, San Diego, CA 92106.
2) The Kona Kai is on the TEAL shuttle route, which takes about 30 minutes drive time, each direction. Or you can drive there in about 20 minutes, just take N. Harbor up past the airport, turning left on either Scott road or Rosecrans, the left again onto Shelter Island drive, with the Kona Kai being the last hotel on the island.
3) We are Sold Out. If you did not buy tickets on the Eventbrite page, or get an email from me (Garfeimao), you are not on the guest list. There will be no additional ticket sales at the door beyond those who have received an email from me. The one exception is a contest we are currently running on our Facebook page. Simply leave a comment on the post regarding our newest sponsor, Jens Hansen Ringmaker, and a winner will be chosen and contacted shortly after Noon. They are hosting a complimentary Photo Booth at the party, but were unable to actually attend the party, so they wanted to offer you, the Fans, their tickets. You must either be in San Diego, or able to get here in a rather short period of time in order to take advantage of these tickets.
4) There will be games and contests and prizes, lots of prizes. Everyone will walk out of the party with something, maybe several somethings. Of course, you have to play the games and enter the contest to win the good stuff. Games include: Golfimbul (Goblin head Golf, with a baseball bat), Pin the Black Arrow on the Dragon (try and pin the Dragon in the heart), The Hula costume contest (see below), and there may be a few other little games tossed in for good measure. There is also a Tiki Piñata and the Photo Booth, so lots of fun and games to be had by young and old. This is a Family Friendly event.
5) The one contest that seems to have several people scratching their heads is the Hula dancing costume contest. But it’s quite simple, wear a costume, dance the hula, win something. There will be a prize or three for the best costumes, Tolkien themed and non-Tolkien alike. But there will also be prizes for the best Hula, or the funnest, or funniest, and non-costumed folk are eligible for this aspect. But the thing to remember is everyone entering the costume contest will be asked to Hula, solo or en masse, as you all see fit. We’ve posted Hula tutorials previously, and instead decided to post a general WikiHow post on how to Hula. Check it out at Dance Hula Wiki/How
6) Our Sponsors – This party absolutely would not have happened if a few of our friends had not stepped in to sponsor and support us. In addition to the aforementioned Jens Hansen Ringmaker as a Sponsor, we are also Supported by our long time friends, Badali Jewelry, who have been with TheOneRing.net since the very beginning. Our Co-hosting Sponsor for the party are the good folks over at WETA Workshop . They are graciously bringing several artists and numerous prizes to the event, you are sure to be blown away by some of the items prizes WETA is bringing with them.
7) Autographs – Don’t do it. This is a party, if any cast or crew should show up, be mindful of this fact and just chat, laugh with, and in general have fun with our special guests. Don’t be snapping photos without asking permission first, especially if using a flash. This statement is not an acknowledgment that any special guest will attend, just that it might happen and we’d appreciate you being respectful of this casual atmosphere.
Posted in ComicCon, Events, Fans, Hobbit Book, Hobbit Movie, J.R.R. Tolkien, Meet Ups, Other Events, The Hobbit, The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies, Tolkien, WETA Workshop
Following the listing on The British Board of Film Classification on July 11, Alberta Film Ratings has just issued a PG rating for the teaser trailer for The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies.
Running time is the same: 1 minute and 48 seconds. (more…)
Posted in Headlines, Hobbit Movie, The Hobbit, The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, Trailer
Evangeline Lilly talked to Slashfilm the other day about all things San Diego Comic-Con, and answered a few questions about The Hobbit, and her book, The Squickerwonkers.
One of the things she revealed is that she’ll finally be doing ADR for The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies directly after Comic-Con. (more…)
Posted in ComicCon, Conventions, Evangeline Lilly, Events, Headlines, Hobbit Movie, J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit, The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies, The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies, Tolkien
Film spoilers ahoy!
Christopher Lee has already spoken somewhat about his larger role in The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies. So we know that the White Council has a role to play, and we’ve always assumed that this will involve a quick trip down the road to Dol Guldur to have a chat with Sauron and his best buddies. (more…)
Posted in Headlines, Hobbit Movie, The Hobbit, The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies, The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
Lord of the Bricks has just unveiled the forthcoming Erebor Lego collectible set. The set, which contains some 800 pieces, will debut in October.
As well as Smaug, it contains five minifigures — Bilbo, Dwalin, Balin, Thorin and Fili — but no new characters Every character has new torso printing, and Bilbo has his mithril shirt. (more…)
Posted in Collectibles, Hobbit Movie, LEGO, Merchandise, The Hobbit, The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies, The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies, Toys
Some of the coolest things you’ll see at Comic-Con are the Lego built characters either at their booth, other booths, and even outside of the convention center itself.
This year if you happen to make it to the Warner Bros. booth (#4545) you will get to see a Lego Smaug standing over six feet tall and weighing 411 pounds. Smaug took 625 hours to complete and includes 83,433 pieces. The folks at Lego also have some surprises for fans showing off new sets for The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies as well as an exclusive Bard figure. (more…)
Posted in Collectibles, Collectibles, ComicCon, Conventions, Events, Hobbit Movie, LEGO, LEGO, Luke Evans, Merchandise, Shop, Studios, The Hobbit, The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies, Toys, Warner Bros.
So, it seems that we’re going to be drip-fed a photo a day until the San Diego Comic-Con Hall H presentation.
Today, it’s one of Gandalf meeting Thranduil in what seems to be a wintry and ruined Dale. Those following the Gandagast staff kerfuffle will note that Gandy has his old staff in this one. The one he lost in Dol Guldur just recently. (more…)
Posted in Hobbit Movie, The Hobbit, The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies, The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
We all know that Warner Bros. and the production crew of The Hobbit have been very quiet since the turn of the year, releasing only a trickle of material relating to The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies.
That doesn’t mean that readers and movie fans have been dormant. In fact, they’ve been pretty active producing fake teaser posters. (more…)
Posted in Creations, Fans, Hobbit Movie, The Hobbit, The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies, The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies, The Hobbit: There and Back Again
Those attending TheOneRing.net’s unauthorized preview of the final Hobbit film at San Diego Comic Con this Thursday (July 24, 2014 5:00pm – 6:00pm Indigo Ballroom, Hilton San Diego Bayfront) will have a chance to share thoughts and feelings with a camera crew. The crew will be on hand previous to the panel (following the living legend George R.R. Martin — appropriately) to capture fans’ thoughts and memories of Middle-earth. (more…)
Posted in ComicCon, Conventions, Events, Fans, Hobbit Movie, Meet Ups, The Hobbit, The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
If you’re going to be at Comic-Con this year we have a couple of items you will want to add to your shopping list of exclusives. Our Comic-Con exclusive T-Shirt follows the War Effort we started last year with the our Tauriel poster.
This year Gandalf the Grey himself is asking you to join the Battle of the Five Armies! Gandalf is created by our friend and artist David Powell who as you know created Tauriel for us last year. You will be able to grab Gandalf on a T-Shirt as well as poster, and even be able to get both together for a special price. (more…)
Posted in Clothing, Clothing, Collectibles, Collectibles, ComicCon, Conventions, Events, Merchandise, Shop, The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies, WETA Workshop