By Mike Fleming at Deadline.com: BREAKING: While Peter Jackson and Warner Bros are figuring out where they’ll shoot back-to-back installments of The Hobbit, Jackson has begun to set his cast for the ambitious projects that will begin shooting in February for release in December 2012, and 2013. As Deadline told you last week, Martin Freeman is set to play Bilbo Baggins, the adventurous Hobbit whose adventures and discovery of the One Ring leads the story up to The Lord of the Rings. Freeman has appeared in films ranging from The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy and Hot Fuzz to Love Actually.

Jackson has cast several other significant Dwarf characters.

Richard Armitage (MI-5 and Captain America: The First Avenger) will play Thorin Oakenshield, leader of the Company of Dwarves which sets off to reclaim the Lonely Mountain from a thieving dragon. Aidan Turner (Being Human) and Rob Kazinsky (EastEnders) will play Kili and Fili, members of the Company of Dwarves. Graham McTavish (Secretariat) will play Dwalin, John Callen (Power Rangers Jungle Fury) will play Oin; Stephen Hunter (All Saints) will play Bombur, and Mark Hadlow (King Kong) plays Dori, while Peter Hambleton (The Strip) will play Gloin. Continue reading “Deadline: Peter Jackson Sets First Names For ‘The Hobbit’”

After a tense standoff, a new actors union in New Zealand announced late Wednesday it won’t boycott Peter Jackson’s “The Hobbit,” from New Line/Warner Bros. and MGM. “New Zealand Actors’ Equity and the Screen Production & Development Association (SPADA) have entered into an agreement to commence good faith negotiations for a new set of conditions which will govern the way in which performers are engaged in the local screen industry,” read a statement from the groups. “Talks are to take place over the next six months. As a sign of good faith, while negotiations occur, Equity has agreed that those productions which fully comply with the current guidelines for the engagement of cast in the industry–‘The Pink Book”– will not be subject to industrial action,” unions continued.

Statement was issued only hours after Jackson and his producing partner Fran Walsh indicated they are ready to move “The Hobbit” out of New Zealand entirely because of the threatened boycott. More..

Just breaking on Auckland’s Newstalk ZB:

Sir Peter Jackson’s new film won’t be shot in New Zealand after an actors dispute threatened to de-rail the project

The Hobbit will no longer be filmed in New Zealand.

Sir Peter Jackson’s production company Wingnut Films says Warners is coming to New Zealand to make arrangements to move the production offshore. The company’s been in dispute with New Zealand Actors Equity, over collective bargaining.

Wingnut says even though the union has now lifted The Hobbit off its blacklist, the damage to our film industry has already been done. It says a decision by the actors’ union to cancel a Wellington meeting with film workers who wanted to express their concern about losing The Hobbit, exemplifies the pure ‘gutlessness’ of the ‘self-centred group’.

With the news that the NZ Equity Meeting was canceled last night, we are now getting some reports from the ground. Below you will find two reports: One from a witness to the resulting technician march (with pictures!);  Another from a technician marching with some exclusive information. As a quick summary, the general consensus is that the meeting was canceled last night when it was realized the protest group greatly outnumbered those in the actor’s equity. However, the worst news comes from Jabes report:

We received news tonight that the Hobbit is essentially lost to NZ, but maybe some drastic act would help brew enough support to present a solid case to Warner/MGM

Thanks to Ringer Caras Galadhon and Ringer Jabes for sharing their reports! Click ‘continue’ to read them in their entirety.

Continue reading “NZ March Reports – Hobbit already moving??”

There is a green light at the end of a long tunnel for fans who have been waiting to take the cinematic journey back to Middle-earth. It was announced today by the studios involved that “The Hobbit,” film will shoot starting in February 2011 with Peter Jackson as its director, showing in two installments expect to hit theaters in December 2012 and 2013.
Jackson said in a press release from the studios:

“Exploring Tolkien’s Middle-earth goes way beyond a normal film-making experience. It’s an all-immersive journey into a very special place of imagination, beauty and drama. We’re looking forward to re-entering this wondrous world with Gandalf and Bilbo – and our friends at New Line Cinema, Warner Brothers and MGM”.

Fans have been waiting for this announcement since the cultural phenomenon of Jackson’s first ground-breaking foray into Middle-earth, “Lord of the Rings” trilogy swept the Oscars with its final installment, “Return of the King,” in 2003. The New Zealand director was largely unknown internationally last century when New Line Cinema took a risk to finance three films based on the book by J.R.R. Tolkien. He returns to the fabled setting as an accomplished and much sought-after director after an incredible amount of adversity preceded the start of the films.

According to the press release:

“Jackson will utilize groundbreaking visual effects and his incomparable story-telling to bring J.R.R. Tolkien’s novel to the big screen. Both Hobbit movies will be filmed in Digital 3-D, using the latest camera and stereo technology to create a high quality, comfortable viewing experience. Jackson also co-wrote the screenplays with Fran Walsh, Phillipa Boyens and Guillermo del Toro.

Continue reading “Peter Jackson will direct ‘The Hobbit’ in two installments, three dimensions”