OSCAR WINNER PETER JACKSON TO DIRECT “THE HOBBIT” IN TWO INSTALLMENTS Peter Jackson Set to Direct J.R.R Tolkien’s “The Hobbit,” In a Two-Part 3D Production of Extraordinary Scope
(Los Angeles, October 15, 2010) The two films based on “The Hobbit” are now greenlit and will begin principal photography in February 2011, under the direction of Peter Jackson, it was jointly announced today by Toby Emmerich, President and Chief Operating Officer, New Line Cinema, Alan Horn, President and Chief Operating Officer, Warner Bros. and Steve Cooper, co-Chief Executive Officer of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc..
“Exploring Tolkien’s Middle-earth goes way beyond a normal film-making experience” Jackson says, “It’s an all-immersive journey into a very special place of imagination, beauty and drama. We’re looking forward to re-entering this wondrous world with Gandalf and Bilbo – and our friends at New Line Cinema, Warner Brothers and MGM”.
“Peter is a filmmaker of incomparable ability; having him return to Middle-earth to produce and direct is a dream come true. A true original, Peter is a gifted story-teller, visionary director and pioneer in film technology,” said Emmerich. “Reuniting with Peter, Fran and Philippa truly makes it feel like we are going ‘there and back again.’”
“There is no human being on the planet as qualified as Peter Jackson to direct these films,” said Horn. “Peter is incredibly talented and has the creative vision and experience to bring this beloved property to life in a way that no other filmmaker could. And the team of Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens has proven through their work on the ‘Lord of the Rings’ trilogy that no one is more skilled at transforming Tolkien’s written words into a vibrant, living language that makes the audience believe they are not merely visiting Middle-earth, but actually living in it. We couldn’t be more thrilled and look forward to seeing ‘The Hobbit’ take shape under Peter’s stewardship and the team he is putting together.” Continue reading “Press Release from New Line/Warner Bros.: OSCAR WINNER PETER JACKSON TO DIRECT “THE HOBBIT” IN TWO INSTALLMENTS”
A number of reliable internet sources, including TheWrap.com, the LA Times and Deadline Hollywood, are reporting that “The Hobbit” has finally been green lit and that filming will begin in February. From the LA Times:
Following a multitude of delays, Warner Bros. and co-financing partner Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc. have agreed to start production in February on the two films that serve as a prequel to the blockbuster “Lord of the Rings” trilogy, people familiar with the situation said.
All reports emphasized that there are still hurdles to overcome, such as the labor union issues that surfaced in the last month or so. However, this news will hopefully help emphasize the urgency of resolving those issues. To be sure, the news is a big boost for Hobbit and Tolkien fans everywhere! Join in the excitement and discussion on our Hobbit discussion board by following the “Discuss” link below.
Update: The New Zealand Dominion Post is reporting official statements from Peter Jackson and Warner Bros.
PJ: “We’re looking forward to re-entering this wondrous world with Gandalf and Bilbo – and our friends at New Line Cinema, Warner Brothers and MGM.”
Warner Bros. President Alan Horn: “There is no human being on the planet as qualified as Peter Jackson to direct these films.”
New Line Cinema president Toby Emmerich: “Peter is a filmmaker of incomparable ability; having him return to Middle-earth to produce and direct is a dream come true. A true original, Jackson is a gifted story-teller, visionary director and pioneer in film technology.”
WELLINGTON – Tuesday, 12 October 2010 – In response to comments made by Helen Kelly of the CTU, co-writer and co-producer on The Hobbit Philippa Boyens stated “I want to reassure Helen Kelly that the filmmakers involved in this production are working as hard as they can to save the jobs of the New Zealanders put at risk by the actions of NZ Equity and are doing everything they can to keep the production from being moved off-shore. Three Foot Seven is working with actors’ representatives, namely their agents, to ensure that the terms and conditions for all actors working on “The Hobbit” are fair and equitable and that the actors engaged to work on the films are happy with their contracts. The agents involved are doing an extremely good job of protecting their clients’ interests.“
Boyens went on to add: “I do not understand why NZ Equity would single out a New Zealand filmmaker who has always treated actors fairly and with respect; nor do I understand why NZ Equity would want to risk the international reputation of New Zealand as an excellent place to make films, thereby putting at risk thousands of film industry jobs, over demands that are, in their own words, “miniscule.”
After attending a meeting of Wellington Actors last night, it is becoming increasingly clear that NZ Equity do not have a mandate to speak for the majority of New Zealand actors and performers nor did they consult with other Guilds involved in the industry before instituting this boycott against “The Hobbit”. I would like to thank Yvette Reid and the other organizers of the Wellington Actors meeting for letting me attend. The room was packed, there were representations from Dave Gibson and Penelope Borland from SPADA, Helen Kelly from the CTU, myself, as one of the filmmakers involved with “The Hobbit”; Sue Rogers, a prominent New Zealand producer as well as several actors and filmmakers. Debate was lively, uncensored and at all times civil. It is a pity NZ Equity declined the opportunity to participate in such an important discussion when they are in fact responsible for initiating an industrial action which has inflicted enormous damage on the NZ film industry.”
Sir Peter Jackson met with Economic Development Minister Gerry Brownlee this morning to discuss the future of his Lord of the Rings prequel, The Hobbit. Sir Peter, accompanied by his wife Fran Walsh, talked with Mr Brownlee in a closed meeting inside the Minister’s office. 3 News understands an announcement on the film will be made by the end of the week. The future of The Hobbit has been thrown into disarray following a highly-publicised spat between Mr Jackson and an Australian actors union. More..
The New York Times is busting out major headlines today: First with the revelation that ‘The Hobbit’ films will be filmed in 3-D, and now, all but confirming Peter Jackson will direct the two ‘prequels.’ (Woo Hoo!!! – Sorry, had to get that in there) According Michael Cieply’s article, an announcement to this affect will be coming in the next few days.
Mr. Jackson, who is a producer and writer of the two “Hobbit” films, agreed also to become their director after Mr. del Toro left the project earlier this year, citing the delays. Mr. Jackson’s agreement to direct the movies has been in place but hasn’t formally closed because it depends on the studios’ willingness to begin production soon, according to people briefed on his status.
The first “Hobbit” film is expected to be released in mid-December 2012, the second a year later. Mr. Jackson has said he can direct the films only if those release dates can be met.
There are some other great details about the production in the full article over at The New York Times. [Read More]