TheOneRing.net: We got more from our friends at Budk. This time Rohan is getting some love and specifically Eomer. If you’re a prop… https://t.co/0xGfn7HSKX

TheOneRing.net: Hear me out: Animal Crossing, but its Treebeard and you are a sapling Ent arranging your small part of the forest

“The Hobbit” (finally) gets the Green Light!

October 15, 2010 at 2:23 pm by Altaira  -

A number of reliable internet sources, including TheWrap.com, the LA Times and Deadline Hollywood,  are reporting that “The Hobbit” has finally been green lit and that filming will begin in February. From the LA Times:

Following a multitude of delays, Warner Bros. and co-financing partner Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc. have agreed to start production in February on the two films that serve as a prequel to the blockbuster “Lord of the Rings” trilogy, people familiar with the situation said.

All reports emphasized that there are still hurdles to overcome, such as the labor union issues that surfaced in the last month or so. However, this news will hopefully help emphasize the urgency of resolving those issues. To be sure, the news is a big boost for Hobbit and Tolkien fans everywhere! Join in the excitement and discussion on our Hobbit discussion board by following the “Discuss” link below.

Update: The New Zealand Dominion Post is reporting official statements from Peter Jackson and Warner Bros.

PJ: “We’re looking forward to re-entering this wondrous world with Gandalf and Bilbo – and our friends at New Line Cinema, Warner Brothers and MGM.”

Warner Bros. President Alan Horn: “There is no human being on the planet as qualified as Peter Jackson to direct these films.”

New Line Cinema president Toby Emmerich: “Peter is a filmmaker of incomparable ability; having him return to Middle-earth to produce and direct is a dream come true. A true original, Jackson is a gifted story-teller, visionary director and pioneer in film technology.”

Definitely music to every fan’s pointy ears!

Posted in Director news, Headlines, Hobbit Movie, Peter Jackson, The Hobbit on October 15, 2010 by
“The Hobbit” (finally) gets the Green Light! | Discuss

The Floor Plan from WETA Workshop

11 responses to ““The Hobbit” (finally) gets the Green Light!”

1. Redwallcluny says:

I think I speak for all of here when I say…
    FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Sven says:

Cast Bob Shaye as Smaug

3. labelledominique says:

Finally! Talk crb’s advice and get Sir Ian’ scenes shot STAT!

YES!!! Best news of the year!

Now they just need to get this Actors Equity nonsense resolved ASAP…..and film in NZ!

So glad Pete is in the directors chair! This is so awesome!

Although the only thing I’m not too keen on is a digital 3D Hobbit! Digital looks like sh*t compared to the beautiful look of film!!! If they are going to do it in 3D they should just shoot it in film and do a great 3D conversion, that way we still have continuity between LOTR and The Hobbit AND it will still look great!
    I’m sure it will be great regardless, but that was one of the biggest complaints of the Star Wars prequels, how they didn’t match up in continuity because Lucas filmed them digitally!

Either way, I’m stoked! December 2012 & 2013 cant come soon enough!

Thank God, at long last!!

Hurry back Middle Earth, we need you more than ever!!

7. Vanessa Hooley says:

Hooray! I’m so glad Peter Jackson will be directing the new Hobbit movie. There’s nobody else I’d trust with something like that, and I thoroughly enjoyed the LOTR Trilogy.

Just wanting an update here, because there’s been a lot of rumors going round, and I’m a bit confused. Basically, when are they going to start filming, and when is it going to be released? Also, I’ve been looking for an ‘audition spot’ here in Australia, as I would like to audition to sing for the soundtrack, but I can’t find anywhere. Any ideas?