Join us in the mad journey of SDCC 2014, through the Exhibit Hall to TheOneRing.net panel, a life-sized Smaug, and a hula-dancing Kili!Posted in Fans, Happy Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, Tolkien, Uncategorized, WETA Digital, WETA Workshop
Archive for the ‘Tolkien’ Category
Join Kili for a walk in the Sierra Nevada Mountains and a hunt for a bear as she shares her knowledge of the forests, just like a Ranger or an Elf and start building your own knowledge of the woods!Posted in Fans, Happy Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, Tolkien
On July 29th, 1954 George Allen & Unwin, Ltd. of London published the first part of ‘The Lord of the Rings’ trilogy, ‘The Fellowship of the Ring’. The first printing was limited to 3000 copies, and only 1500 when it was published in the United States later that year. Who could have predicted that this little book would go on to become one of the most popular and influential fantasy epics of all time?
Our message boards are already in full celebratory swing, so stop in and join the fun!
Posted in Fellowship of the Ring, J.R.R. Tolkien, LotR Books
Welcome to our collection of TORn’s hottest topics for the past week. If you’ve fallen behind on what’s happening on the Message Boards, here’s a great way to catch the highlights. Or if you’re new to TORn and want o enjoy some great conversations, just follow the links to some of our most popular discussions. Watch this space as every weekend we will spotlight the most popular buzz on TORn’s Message Boards. Everyone is welcome, so come on in and join the fun!Posted in Creations, Events, Fans, Fellowship of the Ring, Hobbit Movie, J.R.R. Tolkien, Lord of the Rings, LotR Books, Other Events, The Hobbit, TheOneRing.net Announcements, TheOneRing.net Community, Tolkien
In this TORn library article Barliman chatter and Hall of Fire regular Puma examines one error regarding Aragorn’s age that was actually introduced in the transition to the revised editions, and has seemingly remained unnoticed ever since.
The tale of one word
The Lord of the Rings is a complex book with just as complex a history. Through all the revisions there is one error in the appendices that has persisted even into the 50th anniversary edition, which is the most correct version we have. (more…)Posted in Christopher Tolkien, Fans, Fellowship of the Ring, Green Books, Headlines, J.R.R. Tolkien, Lord of the Rings, LotR Books, Return of the King, The Two Towers, Tolkien
The game comes to Playstation 4, Xbox One, Playstation 3, Xbox 360 and Windows PC on September 30 in the U.S. and October 2 for the rest of the world. (more…)Posted in ComicCon, Events, Gaming, Merchandise, Miscellaneous, Tolkien, Video games
We are so happy to be hosting an ‘offsite event’ here at San Diego Comic Con, and can’t wait to party like Hobbits and Dwarves with you all. So here are a few fast little facts you all need to know about the party.
1) The Laketown Luau is located at the Kona Kai resort and runs from 7pm to 10pm. 1551 Shelter Island drive, San Diego, CA 92106.
2) The Kona Kai is on the TEAL shuttle route, which takes about 30 minutes drive time, each direction. Or you can drive there in about 20 minutes, just take N. Harbor up past the airport, turning left on either Scott road or Rosecrans, the left again onto Shelter Island drive, with the Kona Kai being the last hotel on the island.
3) We are Sold Out. If you did not buy tickets on the Eventbrite page, or get an email from me (Garfeimao), you are not on the guest list. There will be no additional ticket sales at the door beyond those who have received an email from me. The one exception is a contest we are currently running on our Facebook page. Simply leave a comment on the post regarding our newest sponsor, Jens Hansen Ringmaker, and a winner will be chosen and contacted shortly after Noon. They are hosting a complimentary Photo Booth at the party, but were unable to actually attend the party, so they wanted to offer you, the Fans, their tickets. You must either be in San Diego, or able to get here in a rather short period of time in order to take advantage of these tickets.
4) There will be games and contests and prizes, lots of prizes. Everyone will walk out of the party with something, maybe several somethings. Of course, you have to play the games and enter the contest to win the good stuff. Games include: Golfimbul (Goblin head Golf, with a baseball bat), Pin the Black Arrow on the Dragon (try and pin the Dragon in the heart), The Hula costume contest (see below), and there may be a few other little games tossed in for good measure. There is also a Tiki Piñata and the Photo Booth, so lots of fun and games to be had by young and old. This is a Family Friendly event.
5) The one contest that seems to have several people scratching their heads is the Hula dancing costume contest. But it’s quite simple, wear a costume, dance the hula, win something. There will be a prize or three for the best costumes, Tolkien themed and non-Tolkien alike. But there will also be prizes for the best Hula, or the funnest, or funniest, and non-costumed folk are eligible for this aspect. But the thing to remember is everyone entering the costume contest will be asked to Hula, solo or en masse, as you all see fit. We’ve posted Hula tutorials previously, and instead decided to post a general WikiHow post on how to Hula. Check it out at Dance Hula Wiki/How
6) Our Sponsors – This party absolutely would not have happened if a few of our friends had not stepped in to sponsor and support us. In addition to the aforementioned Jens Hansen Ringmaker as a Sponsor, we are also Supported by our long time friends, Badali Jewelry, who have been with TheOneRing.net since the very beginning. Our Co-hosting Sponsor for the party are the good folks over at WETA Workshop . They are graciously bringing several artists and numerous prizes to the event, you are sure to be blown away by some of the items prizes WETA is bringing with them.
7) Autographs – Don’t do it. This is a party, if any cast or crew should show up, be mindful of this fact and just chat, laugh with, and in general have fun with our special guests. Don’t be snapping photos without asking permission first, especially if using a flash. This statement is not an acknowledgment that any special guest will attend, just that it might happen and we’d appreciate you being respectful of this casual atmosphere.Posted in ComicCon, Events, Fans, Hobbit Book, Hobbit Movie, J.R.R. Tolkien, Meet Ups, Other Events, The Hobbit, The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies, Tolkien, WETA Workshop
Evangeline Lilly talked to Slashfilm the other day about all things San Diego Comic-Con, and answered a few questions about The Hobbit, and her book, The Squickerwonkers.
One of the things she revealed is that she’ll finally be doing ADR for The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies directly after Comic-Con. (more…)Posted in ComicCon, Conventions, Evangeline Lilly, Events, Headlines, Hobbit Movie, J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit, The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies, The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies, Tolkien
- Bilbo’s lost in the caves (1341)
- Riddles in the dark (1341)
- Bilbo finds the dwarves and the wizard (1341)
- The Company is trapped in the trees (1341)
- The funeral escort of King Théoden sets out (1419)
Join Kili (who seems to be possessed by Martha Steward of Gondor) for an extra wacky episode and learn how to make whiskey from the store a little more exciting. Oh, and please drink responsibly.Posted in Fans, Happy Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, Tolkien
We are going all out with our Luau theme for the Laketown Luau, including a Lei for every attendee. This in addition to our Tiki Piñata and the Hula costume contest, including a mundane category for those not in costume. Don’t worry, there will be props to help you along. (more…)Posted in ComicCon, Conventions, Events, Fans, Hobbit Book, Hobbit Movie, J.R.R. Tolkien, Meet Ups, Other Events, The Hobbit, The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies, Tolkien
Join us on our favorite convention adventure yet in the magical madness that was Fantasy-Con 2014! Elves, dragons, castles, goblins, and many a familiar dwarf or hobbit abound!
Posted in Conventions, Fans, FantasyCon, Happy Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, Tolkien