We’ve received word from the folks at 3Foot7 regarding the casting of extras for The Hobbit. Earlier in the year, incorrect contact and address details were posted to TORN and we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this has caused. 3Foot7 would like to reconfirm how the process works:

“We are casting in the usual way. IE – we will contact people ONLY if we want to take their application any further. As it happens, we do not need any further applications at this time, and we will not be acknowledging that we’ve received applications to date. There are just too many!”

“Correspondence should only be forwarded directly through 3 Foot 7’s postal and email addresses.”

Three Foot Seven Limited
PO Box 15 104
Miramar
Wellington 6243

The email address for extras is: extras@3foot7.co.nz

(Extras should be NZ residents with eligibility to work in NZ7)

Nobody has been cast in “The Hobbit,” but there are some clues that despite not being able to hire anybody, plenty of auditions are taking place. The latest example is Caroline Grace-Cassidy for the role of Primula. We aren’t announcing that she has been cast, only that she visited Los Angeles for an audition with “Lord of the Rings” casting director Victoria Burrows back in March. It might be notable that this is beyond “send in a tape” or auditioning in the UK where she is based so it could even be a second audition or an in-person follow up to a previous recorded reading. Click inside to see a larger shot and more discussion. Continue reading “Primula and other casting news / clues for ‘The Hobbit’”

Fans of The Hobbit know actors such as Ian McKellen (Gandalf) and Andy Serkis (Gollum) have at least discussed reprising their Lord Of The Rings roles with Hobbit director Guillermo del Toro or producer Peter Jackson.  While reports suggest other Lord Of The Rings actors may have a role in the upcoming production, it appears one name has not been contacted at all.

In an interview with Bob Strauss of the Los Angeles Daily News, Blanchett  mentioned “she has yet to be approached to reprise Galadriel in the upcoming Hobbit movies”.  Although Galadriel is not mentioned in the story, fans speculate she may yet appear if scenes alluded to in the book (the White Council or an attack on Dol Guldur) are included in the movies.   

Could this mean Galadriel has no role in the new movies?  Or simply the “green light” delay related to MGM’s situation would nix even a discussion about the lady of light returning?  TORN fans likely will continue to debate it on the message boards.

MGM’s lenders have granted the studio a fifth extension on its debt payment, giving the studio until July 14th to sort out its financial issues. In a statement released yesterday, a day before the studio’s fourth extension (granted around March 31st) was due to expire, MGM released a statement saying:

“… its lenders agreed to extend the forbearance period and therefore will not seek remedies in connection with the nonpayment of interest and principal due on the company’s bank debt, including the revolving credit facility, until July 14, 2010. The lenders took this action in support of the company’s ongoing efforts to evaluate long-term strategic alternatives to maximize value for its stakeholders. MGM appreciates the continued support of its lender group for the process it is undertaking.”

What this means for the two Hobbit films stuck in pre-pre-production limbo in anticipation of the elusive greenlight is anyone’s guess. Head to our messageboards to follow and partake in the discussions about the possible outcomes of this waiting and watching situation.

It seems Sir Ian McKellen was mistaken for a beggar as he sat outside a theater in costume according to an article in the UK’s Telegraph.

In the article he said, “During the dress rehearsal of Godot, I crouched by the stage door of the Comedy Theatre, getting some air, my bowler hat at my feet (and) seeing an unkempt old man down on his luck, a passer-by said, ‘Need some help, brother?’ and put a dollar in my hat.” You can read the whole story and see a funny photo right here.

The future of the storied MGM studio is uncertain and is keeping a pair of potential “Hobbit” movies uncertain as well. Variety re-reports this morning, with some new details, that the studio wants to push back a deadline for debt payments that expires on Friday. You must subscribe to get more than a tease but The Wall Street Journal reports the studio is seeking a reprieve until the end of June or perhaps even longer while it gets its…uh…stuff together. (Don’t reward them with a click though, they want to charge for the internet!)

Debtholders hoped to sell the historical studio which includes 4,000 catalog films (including this year’s “Hot Tub Time Machine,”) future James Bond films and half of “The Hobbit” films’ earnings among other assets. TORn friend Kristin Thompson explains on her own Frodo Frachise site that Time Warner (parent company of studio Warner Bros that swallowed up LOTR studio New Line and is the other 50% of “The Hobbit”) is flush with cash and as the last bidder standing on MGM, might just buy the thing “at the right price”. Meanwhile quiet pre-pre-production continues in New Zealand, waiting for the day when the two films get the greenlight. Yup, it is a mess but we will do our best to keep you posted.