TheOneRing.net: Amazon: but we just paid a billion dollars for the rights! https://t.co/HByX7dEtZa

TheOneRing.net: Security cam footage proves that Gandalf is officially a disturber of the peace! #Happy4thofJuly https://t.co/xf2UgGtJOc

TheOneRing.net: JRR Tolkien is like “I know a place” and it’s the same corner of the same pub every time https://t.co/hBaXoR81m2

Update: Peter Jackson Confirms Third ‘Hobbit’ Film

July 30, 2012 at 10:39 am by maegwen  -

Note: Updated with confirmation about third film’s release date and content. Updated with Official Press Release as well.

In a note posted to Facebook this morning (in the U.S.) Peter Jackson confirmed there will be a third film in the “Hobbit” series:

So, without further ado and on behalf of New Line Cinema, Warner Bros. Pictures, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Wingnut Films, and the entire cast and crew of “The Hobbit” films, I’d like to announce that two films will become three.

TheOneRing.net has confirmed with two independent sources that the third “Hobbit,” film will not follow the schedule of traditional December releases for Middle-earth movies and will hit audiences in Summer of 2014. TORn has also learned that this newly announced film will not serve as a bridge film but continue to tell the story of “The Hobbit,” in three parts. It is believed that the breaking points of the first film has changed. That film, “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey,” will be released in theaters this December 14. The next film, announced as “The Hobbit: There and Back Again,” is expected to keep its December 13, 2013 schedule. Its name may change however. The newly announced film, as yet untitled, will follow months later in the summer months of 2014.

The reaction has been swift and strong from film communities and Tolkien fans around the world. Read Peter’s full note here. Join us in our LIVE chatroom Barlimans, on the board, on twitter (@theoneringnet) and on Facebook (facebook.com/theoneringnet) Follow the break for the official press release

New Line Cinema, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios, and Warner Bros. Pictures Announce Third Film in The Hobbit Trilogy

BURBANK, CA, JULY 30, 2012 — Peter Jackson will make a third film in his upcoming adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien’s enduringly popular masterpiece The Hobbit, it was jointly announced today by Toby Emmerich, President and Chief Operating Officer, New Line Cinema, Gary Barber and Roger Birnbaum, Co-Chairman and Chief Executive Officers, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios, and Jeff Robinov, President, Warner Bros. Pictures Group.

Jackson, the Academy Award®-winning filmmaker behind the blockbuster “The Lord of the Rings” Trilogy, recently wrapped principal photography on what he originally planned to be a two-film adaptation of The Hobbit, which is set in Middle-earth 60 years before The Lord of the Rings.

Jackson stated, “Upon recently viewing a cut of the first film, and a chunk of the second, Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens and I were very pleased with the way the story was coming together. We recognized that the richness of the story of The Hobbit, as well as some of the related material in the appendices of The Lord of the Rings, gave rise to a simple question: do we tell more of the tale? And the answer from our perspective as filmmakers and fans was an unreserved ‘yes.’ We know the strength of our cast and of the characters they have brought to life.  We know creatively how compelling and engaging the story can be and—lastly, and most importantly—we know how much of the tale of Bilbo Baggins, the Dwarves of Erebor, the rise of the Necromancer, and the Battle of Dol Guldur would remain untold if we did not fully realize this complex and wonderful adventure. I’m delighted that New Line, MGM and Warner Bros. are equally enthusiastic about bringing fans this expansive tale across three films.”

Emmerich stated, “We completely support Peter and his vision for bringing this grand adventure to the screen over the course of three films. Peter, Fran and Philippa’s reverence for the material and understanding of these characters ensure an exciting and expanded journey that is bound to please fans around the world.”

“With the abundance of rich material, we fully endorse the decision to further develop what Peter, Fran and Philippa have already begun. We are confident that, with the great care the filmmakers have taken to faithfully bring this journey to the screen, the film will be welcomed by the legions of fans across the globe,” said Barber and Birnbaum.

Robinov added, “Peter, Fran and Philippa have lived in this world and understand more than anyone its tremendous breadth and scope, and the relationships that bind it together.  We strongly support their vision to bring this great work fully to life.”

The first film in the trilogy, “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey,” will be released December 14, 2012, with the second film releasing on December 13, 2013, and the third film slated for summer 2014. All three films will be released in 3D and 2D in select theatres and IMAX

From Academy Award®-winning filmmaker Peter Jackson comes three films based on The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien. The trilogy of films are set in Middle-earth 60 years before “The Lord of the Rings,” which Jackson and his filmmaking team brought to the big screen in the blockbuster trilogy that culminated with the Oscar®-winning “The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.”

Ian McKellen returns as Gandalf the Grey, the character he played in “The Lord of the Rings” Trilogy, with Martin Freeman in the central role of Bilbo Baggins, and Richard Armitage as Thorin Oakenshield.  Returning cast members from “The Lord of the Rings” Trilogy also include Cate Blanchett, Orlando Bloom, Ian Holm, Christopher Lee, Hugo Weaving, Elijah Wood, and Andy Serkis as “Gollum.”  The international ensemble cast also includes (in alphabetical order) John Bell, Jed Brophy, Adam Brown, John Callen, Billy Connolly, Luke Evans, Stephen Fry, Ryan Gage, Mark Hadlow, Peter Hambleton, Barry Humphries, Stephen Hunter, William Kircher, Evangeline Lilly, Sylvester McCoy, Bret McKenzie, Graham McTavish, Mike Mizrahi, James Nesbitt, Dean O’Gorman, Lee Pace, Mikael Persbrandt, Conan Stevens, Ken Stott, Jeffrey Thomas, and Aidan Turner.

The screenplay for “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey” is by Fran Walsh & Philippa Boyens & Peter Jackson & Guillermo del Toro.  Jackson is also producing the film, together with Carolynne Cunningham, Zane Weiner and Fran Walsh. The executive producers are Alan Horn, Toby Emmerich, Ken Kamins and Carolyn Blackwood, with Boyens and Eileen Moran serving as co-producers.

Under Jackson’s direction, all three movies are being shot in digital 3D using the latest camera and stereo technology. Additional filming, as with principal photography, is taking place at Stone Street Studios, Wellington, and on location around New Zealand.

“The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey” and its successive installments are productions of New Line Cinema and MGM, with New Line managing production. Warner Bros. Pictures is handling worldwide theatrical distribution, with select international territories as well as all international television licensing, being handled by MGM.

Posted in Director news, Headlines, Hobbit Movie, New Line Cinema, Peter Jackson, Production, Studios, The Hobbit, Warner Bros. on July 30, 2012 by Source: Peter Jackson Facebook Update: Peter Jackson Confirms Third ‘Hobbit’ Film | Discuss
Daggers of Tauriel

97 responses to “Update: Peter Jackson Confirms Third ‘Hobbit’ Film”

1. Logical1 says:

It could be worrying, but there are a couple reasons I think it will turn out well. First, it’s not just the 300 pages of content from the Hobbit. There is a ton of additional content in the LOTR appendices that will be included. Second, the decision to expand to three movies is coming as Jackson realizes that he’s already got too much material for two movies. So it’s not like Warner Brothers is just looking to make some extra money by stretching it out. They have to either make a third movie or cut good material out. I definitely support this decision.

2. Paul says:

Easy: LOTR–a whole lot left out; Hobbit–trying to get everything in.

3. Ro says:

i’m too freaking excited! YAY!!! ❤❤❤

4. John says:

Money, money, money. I don’t hate the idea. I just think the LOTR should be the “Trilogy”, and keep the Hobbit in a comfortable “brace” if you will.

5. Lecrazy says:

While he’s at it, why not add a Tom Bombadil scene, too. My favorite part of the LOTR trilogy.

6. sandy101 says:

I wonder the plot???

7. Kalen says:

This is incredibly stupid (and greedy).

8. Oin K says:

I’m all for this, as it means more Middle Earth on the big screen, and that’s a great thing in the hands of Jackon & co! On the other hand, I’ll continue to nudge for a “Novel Cut” in addition to the extended editions, one film made from the three that ONLY includes what was in the text of the novel itself. Of course, that means less Gandalf, and less of the dwarves and their history, but I think such an edit would be a welcome edition to a true Tolkien fan’s collection. That way if I want to sit down and immerse myself in Middle Earth I can pop in the EEs and live in that world for a day, but if I want to sit down and watch a complete story – with my kids, perhaps – about a hobbit’s adventure There And Back Again, a “Novel Cut” would be wonderful as well. Put this in the back of your mind, PJ! Something for the inevitable Omnibus Edition LOTR saga re-release, perhaps?

9. Why is everyone so negative about this, we all love LOTR and the Hobbit so surely the more filming and more movies the better. I’m all for the third film!!

10. Kendall says:

All I want to know is if the beasts will speak. I consider that a good litmus test for if the movies will be an improvement over the LOTR or not. If they will speak then Jackson is planning on pushing the limits of wonder beyond where he took them in the LOTR. If they won’t (even Smaug) then it will simply be another nice set of movies but ultimately tame creatively compared to Tolkien’s vision.

11. the appendices are part of it

12. am I the only one that remembers that LOTR was a sequel, and the hobbit wasnt a prequel?

13. Alex says:

I think we are wrong when we want try to understand the 3 films like The Hobbit films… I am seen these 3 films like The War Of The Ring films more than just The Hobbit.
    The Hobbit adventure is part of the War of the Ring and I think that is what PJ wants to tell.
    For me, the best 3rd film tittle would be, The Hobbit: The War Of The Ring.

14. Alex says:

For me would be like this:
    -Film 1: Dwarves escape from Elvish
    -Film 2: Battle of the Five Armies
    -Film 3: Battle of Dol Guldur and Suron return to Mordor.

For me, the best tittle for the 3rd film would be, The Hobbit: The War Of The Ring.

15. fjosman says:

The hobbit films will use material form the LOTR books and its extra material, much of The Hobbits backstory is explained in LOTR, while the Hobbit book is somewhat superfical on some events. So there you go 🙂

16. fjosman says:

So they are NOT investing millions of dollar in making these movies for the money in the first place? Come on, get real! Is it wrong to make money on making movies now as well? PJ is a businessman also, and is doing what he love and is getting paid well for it! Wouldnt you do the same?

17. I wonder if we are in for a trilogy where ‘The Hobbit’ is part of a larger all encompassing story. If so this could very well work over three films.

18. Matthew says:

Excellent. With the addition of material from the appendices and possibly The Unfinished Tales book, three films make sense. This is great news for all fans of MIddle Earth. Wonderful, wonderful news. If the third film is released in December of 2014 that would be great as well.

19. KaitlinNoel says:

The only thing that irks me about this is the summer release date for part 3. I would rather that they stuck with the good ‘ol mid-December release tradition. Ah well, who know what could change between now and then, anyway!

20. Alex says:

The Hobbit was a prequel o LOTR.
    Everything about the Ring and the White Council are part of the events that finish in LOTR.

The Hobbit: The Return Of The Shadow, could be a good bridge with LOTR.

21. Yd1956 says:

to paraphrase a famous Sir Winston Churchill speech after the Battle of Britain “never in the field of English Literature, has so much money been made, from so few pages.”

22. Alatar says:

He added a female character because the story is very very phalocentric! I love the original material as much as the next Tolkien geek, but I can understand why he did it. It’s a question of balance and opening it out to a slightly less dude based audience. I just hope he doesn’t go the Arwen route of crowbarring her in, in a ‘her fate is tied to the ring’ schlock like he did in LOTR. That really did grate and was obviously a play for more Liv screen time and and expansion of the love story.

23. Alatar says:

It’s already been cited on The Hobbit wiki page that Martin F and Ian M have both already been contacted about appearing in the third film. We’ll probably hear similar details for the other actors coming out pretty soon!

24. Alatar says:

You would actually have to wait about 6 months not a year 🙂 (if all goes to plan)

25. Alatar says:

Smaug is definately going to talk. He’s being voice by Benedict (Serlock) Cumberbatch, who’s also voicing the Necromancer. A non talking Smaug would have completely defeated one of the key scenes of the story. I’m imagining the Trush would still have a talking part too as well as the ravens. As to the wargs, I’m no so sure.

26. Alatar says:

I know what you mean Kaitlin, but at least we only have to wait 6 months between movies instead of 12! 🙂

27. Alatar says:

I’m not sure about the canon, but I’m pretty sure that Gimili isn’t at the Bot5A. It’s just Thorins group and the hard as nails warrior veterans of Dain II Ironfoot representing. Don’t put it past PJ to throuw a young Gimili in there though!

28. Green Dragonite says:

Huge fan, love the hobbit and two towers books the most, as much as I’m sure I will love the three movies having to wait another 2 1/2 years seems extreme.

29. Charity says:

Well… I guess the story really isn’t about THE Hobbit anymore! Which… is okay in some ways, but also makes Bilbo rather unimportant in the grand scale of things.

30. aa says:

Jackass. The War of the ring took place in LOTR, stupid. Read Much?
    Cool idea though, except for your illiterate interpretation of when the war of the ring took place. BTW, i never knew the dwarves escaped from a place called elvish, and i dont believe i know a fellow named suron. Possibly brother of Sauron???
    Please Introduce me to him.They are great books, try reading them.
    peace out
    ps. The return of the shadow would be great for a third title

31. Oakenshield says:

Are you a pastor? because the church that I go to has a pastor named Scott Johnson. please respond. Peace out.

32. Ezra says:

One does not simply stop making hobbit movies. Thank you Peter Jackson for making this happen!

33. Kurt says:

First off, I want to say that I love PJ’s adaptation of TLOTR and I am SO exited about what I’ve seen of The Hobbit. The news of a third film is a little troubling for me though, and here’s why… The scripts for the two movies were written over the last several years. The principle filming and the pick-up shots for the two films just wrapped up. All along they have had a certian stopping point for the first film in-mind. And, from most of the promotional material that we’ve seen, it would appear that the first film would cut off after the barrel riders scene. It’s been a couple years since I’ve read the book, but a good majority of the story happens before the barrel riders scene… maybe 85% of the novel. There is a lot of things going on during that 85%… character development, contract, Rivendell, trolls, goblins, finding the ring, wargs, eagles, Beorn, Mirkwood, spiders, and elves… oh my! Basically, all you would have left would be the battle with Smaug, 5 armies, and appendix stuff (the titles they have secured are certainly alluding to this). I will be really disappointed if 15% of the Hobbit gets “spread thin over toast” over the last two movies. I think they would need to change the ending point of the first movie (I would think this would be prohibitive this late in the game) to even have a reasonable balance of material. Otherwise, I have a feeling that consumers will feel like they are being taken advantage of. Personaly, I can’t wait to see what PJ and Co. come up with. It will be great, I’m sure. I just wish they would have made this decision a year or two ago.

34. TheBard says:

I trust PJ – if anyone can continue the vision of JRR Tolkein, it is him <3

35. Alatar says:

To this I say: Yes! Tell the story PJ!

Develop the characters so they stand out as individuals (a ‘tall’ order with so many dwarves!). Give them depth and detail and drives where possible, but never at the expense of the main tale.

Define each beat of the story, keep it focused, hammer it into shape and inspire us. You have a much loved treasure to draw from. Be true to it in spirit and creativity.

Draw us back into Middle Earth, breathe life into the ancient tales of Durin’s folk; The exodus from Khazad-dum, the great Goblin wars, the founding of Erebor and the coming of dreaded Smaug. Let us feel their passion, their wonder and their craft. Make us long to return to the lost kingdom of the Lonely Mountain as if it were our own, and make that fierce passion a foundation upon which we could build mountains and lay low even the mightiest of Dragons!

This is a tale of dwarves (and a Hobbit!), drive home what it would feel like to have been driven out and exiled from your homeland. Show them as they should be, stout, hardy, tough and fierce through necessity, but also passionate, proud, and loyal. All those years in the wilderness would have brought them closer together and they would fight to the death to defend their own. Let Thorin Oakenshield’s rallying call send a shiver down my spine at the Battle of the Five Armies as the true King Under the Mountain calls for his kinsmen, make it a ‘Dwarves to your King!!!’ moment, a title long denied any meaning to the them without a true Kingdom to call their own. It should be a fierce tale of returning home, of fighting against the odds and risking everything to regain a homeland that was stolen long ago (despite their initial outward plans of mere thievery). It’s a story of the return of a lost and scattered people. That’s the tale you need to tell, those are the emotions you need to inspire. I believe you will do it! 😉

36. Jay says:

I like the idea of another movie in Middle Earth but I’m very worried as to what it would be about. A lot of stuff happened in the Hobbit but two movies is more than enough to tell that story… Perhaps the third movie will be about what happens after Bilbo’s journey but it doesn’t seem enough to fill (three?) hours…

37. Tania says:

I’m guessing theyre adding lots of stuff from the appendices of LOTR, like Aragorn at Rivendell, the war between the Orcs and Dwarves, Saruman’s betrayal, backstory to the enmity between elves and dwarves and the rise and defeat of the Necromancer which is pretty skated over in the books.

38. Mandolinguitar says:

I exactly have been thinking of the same title today, but then I thought The Return of the Shadow seems to much equal to The Return of The King and I left the idea…

39. Brian Boru says:

It has been often said that the structure of The Hobbit is a microcosm of the structure of The Lord of the Rings. Hence based on how The Lord of the Rings movie trilogy was structured it wouldn’t surprise me if the trilogy is split at when Bilbo and the Dwarves arrive at Esgaroth and at the death of Smaug. I think the first movie will be linear with the journey of Bilbo and the Dwarves being told in the context of the White Council dealing with the delaying tactics of Saruman who only relents to the attack on DolGuldur at the end of the movie, which will only be understood at the end of the second movie when Saruman is seen communicating with Sauron through the palantir after Sauron has gone from DolGuldur at which point the audience discovers that that he was feigning being driven out of DolGuldur. I think the second movie will intercut between three plot strands: the action around Bilbo and the Dwarves at the Mountain which leads to Smaug sacking Esgaroth, the strategies around the White Council attacking DolGuldur and Beorn and the Beornings’ defence of the Men of the Vales of Anduin from the Orcs and Wargs that attack their viillages to explain how Beorn becomes the chief of that area. Meanwhile, the third movie will bring these strands together to first tell of the besieging of the Lonely Mountain by the Elves and Men and then them helping the Dwarves with their defence of the Mountain from the Orcs and Wargs. And the movie may end with a 20 min denouement where old Bilbo is heard narrating as young Bilbo travels home which is interspersed with scenes showing how the Lonely Mountain, Dale, Esgaroth and the Desolation of the Dragon changes over the years and how this prompts Balin to set off to Moria to create a colony there. Then old Bilbo could be seen with Frodo who says: ‘So the old prophecies have come true in a sense?’, At which Bilbo says that of course they did and his adventures and escapes were not for his benefit, after all he was just a Hobbit and they aren’t big people in the world, to which Frodo replies; ‘Thank goodness’. Then perhaps the subtitles could roll on Gollum leaving the Misty Mountains and on him travelling in the lands around eventually coming to Mordor and then on Aragorn hunting for him and then capturing him in the Dead Marshes leaving the audience with the impression that there are other tales to tell.
    In order to help develop the different plot strands the appendices information on the Rohirrim will be referred to so to help develop the Beornings and Bardings because of their relationship with the Rohirrim. Also, the appendices information on the Gondorians will be referred to so to help develop the Esgarothians because of their relationship with the Gondorians. Meanwhile, the appendices information on the Orc and Dwarves war will be referred to so to help explain their relationship with each other. Also, the appendices information on the Dwarves’ relationship with the Rohirrim will be referred to so to help explain their relationship with the Beornings and the Bardings. And information in the Lord of the Rings that didn’t make it into the Lord of the Rings movies on the Dwarves relationship with the Elves will make it into the Hobbit movies as well as information in the Lord of the Rings book on Hobbits and maybe even on Aragorn’s people in the north that didn’t make it into the Lord of the Rings movies to help develop these things as well. That should give a lot of information to help flesh out the movies.
    I also think that the first movie may begin with a prologue spoken by Galadriel that shows things that didn’t occur in the prologue of the Lord of the Rings such as Anatar helping the Elven-smiths with creation of the Rings, becoming Sauron when he makes his own Ring, the Three Rings actually being given to Gil-galad, Cirdan and Galadriel by the Elven-smiths, Gil-galad being thrown to his death at the battle where the Ring was taken by Sauron’s mace and him giving his ring to Elrond as he lays dying, an off-screen Isildur taking the Ring off an on-screen Sauron, the Ring then seen falling to the bottom of the river, Greenwood becoming Mirkwood, Sauron being seen in DolGuldur, the Istariarriving at the Grey Havens and Cirdan giving his ring to Gandalf, Deagol’s hand picking up the Ring from the bottom of the river, the White council meeting for the first time, an off-screen attack by Smaug on an onscreen Lonely Mountain, Thror, Thrain and Thorin leading the Dwarves away from the Mountain, an old Bilbo with Frodo at Bag End. Meanwhile, the second movie could open with a more detailed attack on Dale and the Lonely Mountain by an onscreen Smaug in all his might and more detail of the escape of the Dale Men and the Dwarves. And the third movie could open with a detailed history of the Dwarves in exile from leaving the Lonely Mountain to Gandalf meeting Thorin at Bree, which could introduce Dain killing Azog in the battle outside Moria in the Dwarf-Orc war.

40. disqmonde says:

To truly understand the hobbit, you must search through the appendices and read The Silmarillion. The Hobbit is not just the story, it is the history of LOTR. The extra time will probably explain the Necromancer of Dol Guldur (hope I spelled that right), the war of the dwarves and orcs, and Gollum’s search for the ring. As well as the history of Erebor. Plenty of material to work with.

41. disqmonde says:

If he does not, I may possibly rage

42. disqmonde says:

BUT THE APPENDICES ARE PART OF THE HOBBIT STORY AND WITHOUT THEM THERE WOULD BE SO MANY LOOSE ENDS! WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU COMPLAIN ABOUT MORE MIDDLE EARTH? (to make sure you understand the gravity of this situation, I barely ever use caps lock)

43. disqmonde says:

There probably will not be much spreading thin, the 3rd movie was made because the second contained too much material, much like the last two books of the Inheritance cycle.

44. Francroiff says:

No se no se.. (I dont know.. nothing)
    3 películas para un libro tan corto.. jackson y los dolares, si el proyecto no resulta será una lástima para la memoria de j.r.r. Tolkien =/
    (3 movies for a book so short .. jackson and the dollars, if the project fails, it will be a shame to the memory of JRR Tolkien) =/
    A esperar.. to expect..

45. dale10 says:

The more middle earth the better. I don’t want it to end. I’ve been a fan of the books and the movies as long as i ca n remember. Martin freema nn was perfect for the role of bilbo

46. gloin says:

its not a bridge film

47. Emz says:

This is just so AMAZING! I cannot wait for The Hobbit trilogy, it’s going to be immense. The only bad thing is how long we have to wait inbetween parts. It’s just so great that I don’t want to have to wait!