TheOneRing.net: Collecting The Precious – Weta Workshop’s Witch-king & Frodo at Weathertop https://t.co/NXZ81l5tDw

TheOneRing.net: We have a confirmation for SDCC: Rohan will NOT answer this year. https://t.co/F1ohFGgsUP

TheOneRing.net: Faramir's men wearing masks since the third age. https://t.co/1C617ExGJm

Peter Jackson posts ‘Hobbit’ production diary #3

July 20, 2011 at 8:44 pm by MrCere  -

He may not be at Comic-Con, and the only Hobbit content is from TheOneRing.net, but Peter Jackson knows that fans are salivating for more on the two Hobbit movies and wow has he delivered. From the set he leads viewers through memories from cast and crew of the first segment of shooting including a surprise vet in the final shot. Enjoy!.

Please join us to share your thoughts and opinions in our comments, forum, chat room and on Facebook!

Posted in Adam Brown, Aidan Turner, Andy Serkis, Characters, ComicCon, Conventions, Director news, Graham McTavish, Hobbit Book, Hobbit Cast News, Hobbit Movie, Ian McKellen, James Nesbitt, John Callen, Ken Stott, Mark Hadlow, Peter Hambleton, Peter Jackson, Richard Armitage, Rob Kazinsky, Stephen Hunter, The Hobbit on July 20, 2011 by Peter Jackson posts ‘Hobbit’ production diary #3 | Discuss
The One Ring

20 responses to “Peter Jackson posts ‘Hobbit’ production diary #3”

all I can say is, I hope Peter is gaining weight quickly.  Fanboys (and girls) what a fat Peter Jackson to direct ‘The Hobbit’

2. Jaidoprism7 says:

Got chills!  Getting hyped about this whole thing.  I had a feeling the dwarfs were going to be a little comical but hopefully their ferocity comes shining through in times of need.  Seeing them in line with their mini-doubles got me really pumped.  If I can only have one wish:  Please make Gollum have the glowing eyes Tolkien wrote about and make the riddle game a seriously scary portion of the movie.  Give Gollum the menacing prowess of a murderer. That would seal the deal with me.  Looks awesome! Can’t wait!I

3. thinker says:

the trollshaws are filmed in studio…I hope the Mirkwood will be at least in some part filmed in real forest, I know it would be difficult but studio forests look so fake…Fangron was awful in lotr, imo.

4. thinker says:

even the ators playing dwarves said that kili is the only dwarf withoud fake beard and mask cause the actor is handsome…Just like I thought, they decided not to destroy his pretty face. And in this short film Thorin’s beard looks even shorter than on the poster…the oldest dwarf with the shortest beard…but the rest of the dwarves look really good, better than on the pictures.

5. hatseflatsism says:

The dwarves look better “irl” than in the picture, but it’s still a shame the crew hasn’t given them longer beards and a somewhat less comic character. Then there would’ve been the same differentation in appearance but way more in tune with Tolkien’s vision, as well as more believable.

6. Eugenia says:

Fantastic show! The dwarves look better than in the photos indeed. Still Kili and Fili differ too much from the rest.That’s no good for the film, I suppose. The dwarves must be recognisable as compared with the characters of other races.

7. Rodkeys54 says:

One thing that I noticed on the video is that the coat Bilbo is wearing is from a different collor from the one Ian Holm was in that scene from FOTR.

8. Mr.Blue says:

He looks pretty big now. I seems like he gained a lot of weight in the months he has been shooting.

9. Jaidoprism7 says:

I agree.  The dwarfs have too much of a modern youthful look.  Thorin should appear much older.  Fili and Kili were young but by dwarf standards which means they’d probably be old too, by our standards.  In the book (The Hobbit) Tolkien gives the dwarfs some ferocity but mainly he gives them the sense of incompetence due to age.  They were always unwilling to do things themselves and always sent poor Bilbo to in their stead.  Like they were trying to hide a bit of cowardice.  These dwarfs don’t look too timid. Still excited to see the film though just hope its not a time bandit chuckle fest.  That is all…

After all this start debate about the pictures, this video lifted up my spirits a bit more. 🙂

11. oh this was amazing! i’m loving it already! i think making “mini” dwarves was a very smart move from PJ. full screen hobbits looked pretty fake in lotr… specially in fotr, so having small full costume actors is the best way to go

12. Peter Jackson is such a Legend for doing this, The fact that he’s in england at the moment rocks! Lol at Saruman at the end… I think Peter Jackson is going to do a awesome job of this

Imo, Fili and Kili looking different from the rest of the crew is not that hard to get over with. We clearly see them acting like dwarves with the rest of them in the video, don’t we? If anything, that makes them dwarves.

Besides, if you look carefully, you can see Kili probably wearing nose prosthetics. Looks like their nose grows first. 🙂

Good to see Rob Kazinsky as Fili around the table at bag end and with the line up with the size doubles.

16. Rochendil says:

I have to say this video has restored my faith (to some degree) in PJ’s vision.  I still think the look of the dwarves is not as it should be, but some how they all look better than in their photo stills.

Kili looks less ‘pretty’.  His prosthetic nose is more obvious and somehow he looks less polished.  Bifur’s hair is less rediculous.  Dwalin, Dori, Oin and Gloin are all still looking good etc. etc.  Still not sure about Nori’s hair style though or Ori (now that we can see more of both).  I don’t know what it is but they all look more convincing now as a group.  Perhaps it’s seeing them interact with each other in bag end or just the fact that the images are not touched-up as in the stills.

… Or may be its just that I’m getting used to them (??).  This is probably the whole point of these video diaries and photo releases as far as Jackson is concerned; to win over the hardcore fans before they see the finished product.  Afterall the people most likely to be critical are the same people who visit this website.

Also loved the scenes with Gimli, Galadriel and Saruman at the end.

17. Rochendil says:

Also loved the scenes with Gimli, Galadriel and Saruman at the end.

18. Alexwally29 says:

best video yet! the dwarves look even better!