Yes, as many of your predicted, this was our April Fools joke for 2009! We hope we ‘got you’ for at least a little bit!

For a few months now, we’ve all been wondering why there’s been such a cloud of secrecy from Guillermo and PJ regarding progress on The Hobbit. Well, today we got wind of what could be the biggest story so far about this much anticipated film: a report that negotiations are under way for a third film!

On condition on anonymity, our source revealed that some of the main sticking points include amendments to PJ and GDT’s contracts requiring an additional 3 months of principal photography, and temporarily suspending some of their other projects.

Our insider also mentioned some legal wrangling with the Tolkien Estate to acquire additional rights to materials not currently under license which would provide the bulk of the plot for the third movie. What specifically this could be is a guess, but our source seems to imply delving into the back-story of the Istari (Wizards) including Gandalf and Saruman’s youth in Valinor. The inclusion of other young wizards at the academy would provide an opportunity for cameos from LOTR actors who’s story arc doesn’t fit into The Hobbit. The latter would go a long way toward explaining recent cryptic quotes from LOTR actors about possible appearances in The Hobbit.

We’ll keep you up to date as this story progresses. Our source is sending us an update tomorrow.

Raimi Del Toro SAM RAIMI, who was on the shortlist of directors for the big-screen remake of The Hobbit, says Guillermo del Toro was a brilliant choice to make the film. thehobbit1.jpgSpider-Man director Raimi told Empire magazine: “I thought that The Hobbit was just a fantastic icon of fantasy literature. I love that book and I’m a giant fan of the Lord of the Rings movies. “It would have been an excellent job but Peter Jackson is the producer and he chose who he thinks would be the best filmmaker, which is Guillermo del Toro, who I love. Del Toro was right choice for The Hobbit, says Raimi

How do Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson, the two titans of pop culture, collaborate on the new 3-D motion-capture version of “Tintin”? With lots of high-tech wizardry.

Spielberg, who’s directing the first installment, “The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn,” recently wrapped 32 days of performance-capture shooting in Los Angeles. Producer Jackson traveled from his New Zealand home base to L.A. for rehearsals and the first week of shooting, and then appeared via an elaborate video-conferencing setup for the rest of the shoot, using a specially designed iChat-type system in which the Kiwi filmmaker can see everything on the set in real time and simultaneously talk with Spielberg. The film is scheduled to hit theaters in 2011. ‘Tintin’ project brings moguls together

Guillermo Del ToroIf there is one thing the director of The Hobbit cannot be without while based in Wellington, it is plenty of graphic novels and books. Mexican Guillermo del Toro has been in Unity Books in Willis St buying large numbers of graphic novels and books as he settles in for pre-production on the two-part adaptation of The Hobbit at Peter Jackson’s Miramar studios. Shooting takes place next year. Del Toro was also a guest at Wellington Zoo on Sunday for the introduction of Weta Workshop’s new children’s television series The WotWots – the first time he has appeared before the media since arriving in Wellington. Del Toro, whose two recent Hellboy movies were based on a comic book series, is renowned for being a voracious reader. Hobbit director feeds comic book habit

Interest is high for an upcoming Dunbar Sloane auction, with movie-maker Peter Jackson tipped to be interested in two rare biplanes going under the hammer. Also on offer is a piece of the infamous flagstaff Hone Heke repeatedly chopped down, kicking off the first of the land wars. The two biplanes on offer include a 1944 Tiger Moth and the last remaining 1929 Simmonds Spartan in the world. Peter Jackson is an avid World War I-era plane collector. Dunbar Sloane confirmed Jackson’s buyers had been alerted to the upcoming sale and had shown initial interest. “But we won’t know if he is going to put in a bid until the day. Buyers don’t usually let us know they are definitely bidding before the day.” Planes go to auction

Everyone knows Hollywood giants Peter Jackson and Steven Spielberg are collaborating on three Tintin movies, but rarely has the public seen the two top film-makers in the same place. A new online video shows them not only together, but with the potential to be a snappy comic duo. The official website for Tintin unveiled this week a two-minute video recording of Jackson and Spielberg made for the the Angouleme International Comics Festival in France. In the video Jackson and Spielberg wear bowler hats and carry umbrellas as a homage to two of the Tintin series’ most popular characters, the bungling detectives Thomson and Thompson. They are seated between a cardboard cutout of Tintin, the plucky Belgian detective. “We’re here to celebrate Tintin’s 80th year in existence,” said Spielberg, who is directing the first Tintin film Secret of the Unicorn. Tintin video unveiled Video