TheOneRing.net: Collecting The Precious – Iron Studios Gandalf the Grey Deluxe Statue https://t.co/78cqOzVzyA https://t.co/Zj2oNLjshj

TheOneRing.net: You will want to get to know supporting actor Owain Arthur as his next project is Amazon’s Lord of the Rings https://t.co/LBCpdGxQQs

TheOneRing.net Exclusive: Behold! Thorin Oakenshield and Orcrist!

July 17, 2011 at 11:01 am by newsfrombree  -

For a week or so, we have been treated to an unprecedented look at the Dwarves from Peter Jackson’s The Hobbit. Today, TheOneRing.net is both honored and humbled to be given the worldwide exclusive reveal of Thorin Oakenshield! (and Orcrist, the Goblin-cleaver!)

As a young Dwarf prince, Thorin witnessed the destruction and terror wrought when a great fire-breathing Dragon attacked the Dwarf Kingdom of Erebor. After slaughtering many of Thorin’s kin, the great serpent, Smaug, entered The Lonely Mountain and took possession of its vast store of gold and jewels. No-one came to the aid of the surviving Dwarves, and thus, a once proud and noble race was forced into exile. Through long years of hardship, Thorin grew to be a strong and fearless fighter and revered leader. In his heart a fierce desire grew; a desire to reclaim his homeland and destroy the beast that had brought such misery upon his people. So when fate offers him an unusual ally, he seizes the chance for revenge.

We’d like to wholeheartedly thank the production for giving the Tolkien fan community this final reveal! And now, we have seen the full representation of Thorin and Company! Read TheOneRing.net Staff Talk Dwarvesfor our thoughts and analysis on Thorin & Co., plus view a high resolution picture of each dwarf.

After the break you’ll see a great compilation photo of the entire company. This particular compilation is from our friend Ringer lotroel (Thanks to all the Ringers sending in their masterpieces!). Please share your thoughts and opinions in our comments, forum, chat room, and Facebook!

You might also enjoy: “Dwarves: What’s ‘Hot’ is Being Cool

Thorin/The Hobbit themed wallpaper for your computer:
Just Thorin: 800×600, 1024×768, 1152×864, 1280×1024, 1600×1200, 2048×1536.
Thorin and Company: 800×6001024×7681152×8641280×1024,1600×12002048×1536

Posted in Adam Brown, Aidan Turner, Casting Rumors, Characters, Graham McTavish, Headlines, Hobbit Book, Hobbit Cast News, Hobbit Movie, Ian McKellen, James Nesbitt, John Callen, Ken Stott, Mark Hadlow, Martin Freeman, Peter Hambleton, Richard Armitage, Rob Kazinsky, Stephen Hunter, The Hobbit, TheOneRing.net Announcements, TheOneRing.net Community, Tolkien on July 17, 2011 by TheOneRing.net Exclusive: Behold! Thorin Oakenshield and Orcrist! | Discuss
Order the Gollum Enraged - Click Here

432 responses to “TheOneRing.net Exclusive: Behold! Thorin Oakenshield and Orcrist!”

1. Dancer says:

Here we go again. I remember the incredible outcry when Frodo was cast as a young boy instead of a middle-aged man. Tolkien himself said that he envisioned his work as the creation of a mythology that others would interpret through their own media. He was specifically referring to artwork, but I don’t see why the comment couldn’t apply to film.  I personally have read all of Tolkien’s works multiple times. I loved Peter Jackson’s re-interpretation of The Lord of the Rings, and expect Thorin’s beard to bother me as little as Frodo’s age.

2. Debba Sniderman says:

I agree, Thorin looks like a bloody Highlander.  Which is fine if it’s a movie about the Scots.  Not so much if it’s a movie about Middle Earth dwarves.  Where’s the dignity here?

3. Christina says:

I expected long dwarves and “hard” faces like Gimli, but I’m still excited to see the movie. Despite the fact Kili has like no beard, he’s GORGEOUS. BAHAHA BOMBUR ONLY BOMBUR I JUST LOVE HIM, Thats exactly how I pictured him xD I actually kinda like this group’s appearance, looking forward to the movie

4. Missindia22 says:

Je dirais que j’ai vu les autres acteurs qui auraient pu jouer Thorïn et c’est vrai, ils collaient au livre ( je suis en train de le dévorer ^^ ), mais il faut dire que l’acteur choisi pour ce rôle colle à la personnalité de Thorïn. Fort, fier, jaloux et posessif. De toute façon, je n’aime pas ce personnage, dans le livre il m’énerve vraiment, mais bon. Voilà, donc, je dis que Richard Armitage est le bon acteur.

5. Missindia22 says:

6. Missindia22 says:

7. Lelande says:

I am exited, very much indeed.

About the beard thing?? Then just dont go see the movie. Simpel.

Tolkien is not the director. Who is going to call him, and say his work just been destroyed? Yes no one is.

Its a movie for crying out loud. Its not a book. Its just based on a book.
    I like the idea of different “types” of dwarfs. On some of the original art, they almost looked the same. Atleast now you can tell a different.

Besides, I would like to think Tolkien would appriciate this. Cant imagine he ever thought about his books turning into a movie.

Good Artists Copy, Great Artists Steal.

8. Lelande says:

I am exited, very much indeed.

About the beard thing?? Then just dont go see the movie. Simpel.

Its a movie for crying out loud. Its not a book. Its just based on a book.

Good Artists Copy, Great Artists Steal.

9. Lelande says:

I am exited, very much indeed.

About the beard thing?? Then just dont go see the movie. Simpel.

Its a movie for crying out loud. Its not a book. Its just based on a book.

Good Artists Copy, Great Artists Steal.

10. Sixtina says:

All I can say is that I would take Thorin Oakenshield home any day….

11. Themistocles490 says:

If you want to insult someones intelligence, try a little spell and grammar checking first.

12. Thain of Westfarthing says:

Demo, you said in this post, “However, things change at Henneth Annun.”  I believe you meant that Pippin changed at Amon Hen, or Parth Galen.  I don’t think Pippin ever went to Henneth Annun (although the Field of Cormallen may not have been too far from there).

13. Thain of Westfarthing says:

14. Thain of Westfarthing says:

15. Thain of Westfarthing says:

16. Enna says:

Thanks for the picture!

17. Enna says:

Thanks for the picture!

18. Enna says:

Thanks for the picture!

19. Enna says:

Thanks for the picture!

20. Ailyn says:

Tolkien did not “write for England”. No author writes and publishes his stories ONLY for his own country. Tolkien didn’t write a series of lengthy tomes depicting how magnificent and superior ENGLAND is compared to OTHER countries. Tolkien created an one-of-a-kind, beautiful fantacy word that inspired THOUSANTS-no MILLIONS other writers, artists, fanfictioners, authors, poets, filmakers as well as the average human being, the common fan. Every authors dream is to motivate and inspire such a multitude of people from all over the world with their works. Just because you English ‘purists’ grew up with those books doesn’t mean that the rest of the world is not allowed to touch them!
    Personally, I’m from Greece and if it wasn’t for Jackson and his ‘heretic’ films I, and most people here, wouldn’t have heard a thing about the great Tolkien, who, as you deem it: “wrote for England”!
    Hollywood took the magnificence of Tolkien’s universe and distributed to the rest of the world, altered but not at all damaged. Your perceptions, Jenifer, are ethnocentric and unjust.

21. Ailyn says:

22. Hannah Cir says:

Like the picture and like the Dwarves. We cannot have 13 same persons. Everyone must be unique. The filmmakers always ave to do compromise between the books and the wish of broad audience -normal people who are not the readers of Tolkiens books. I pray for P.J. that he will fulfill the dream of the books fans again. And I am eager to see every new picture from the filming. I remember that I had to get use to some things even in LOTR but in the end I was happy for what I have seen in the cinemas. BUT, on the othre hand, I hope that P.J. will not forget the bok fans and He will offer us more detailed extended version of the films 🙂 Special collection as was made also with LOTR trilogy:-) Fingers crossed for us all (to survive so long waiting) and for P.J. colletive (to finish the films happily)

23. TFF says:

Thinker, I know your rant was posted months ago, but I just now came across this site.  Though you are ranting about the lengths of beards, more than anything else you seem to have a certain amount of underlying disdain for Richard Armitage.
    Just sayin’!

24. TFF says:

Just sayin’!

25. Ramsey_keilani says:

Of course the books would still be popular even if PJ didn’t make a movie out of them. I’ve read the Simmarillion, the Hobbit, LOTR and the Histories of Middle Earth over and over again for years and the dwarves have clearly defined characteristics, would it have really killed Peter Jackson to buy a fake, long beard and NOT make Bombur look like a Klingon! Before the movies, they were still one of the most popular books in the World, and making a stupid movie won’t make them any more popular!. BTW: Thumbs up to Thinker!

26. Ramsey_keilani says:

It looks like theres one dwarf, 2 elves, 2 klingons, and a bunch of men. Fili looks like mini Aragorn, Kili looks like an elf, Balin just looks plain ridiculouse, Thorin looks like Theoden ( a human, as we all know), and Bombur looks like PJ’s idea of a joke, The only good dwarf that Peter Jackson ever made was Gimli in the LOTR movies, but here comes the Hobbit and Gimli looks like a seperate species from Kili or Thorin. The only part they got right was the shortness, but after that it all went to hell, BTW: some of you “fans” should pick up a copie of The Simirillion!.
    P.S: sorry for my mis spellings, I’m Japanese.

27. Writhe says:

Thorin looks more like a Klingon than a Dwarf.

28. Troobi says:

Is it me, or does Thorin look like a Klingon in that picture? I guess it fits, since the Klingon language also sounds like a real “jaw cracker!” Even so, I’m looking forward to the movies.

29. Maretrg says:

Children, please. Can we discuss our opinions without resorting to ad hominem arguments and insults?

30. shogun768 says:

This is a classic example of someone thinking their personal view should dictate what everyone else should do or think. It’s important to realize a fact of life: what you think or what you like doesn’t actually form “hard reality” or “how it should be.” You need to remember that you not thinking this follows Tolkien’s intent doesn’t mean it’s not actually following his intent.

31. Mike says:

I’m one of the younger generations to get into tolkiens books. I’ve read The Hobbit, The Silmarillion, The Lord Of The Rings, and I’m about to get started on Unfinished Tales. BUT i only got into them after watching the Fellowship of the ring. Which I enjoyed so much I couldn’t resist but go out the next day and spend hundreds on all his books. I haven’t looked back.

Though I owe it PJ, without his adaption I probably wouldn’t have realised how amazing tolkiens works are. I won’t side with either of these arguments, because they’re both convincing. My point that I’d like to make is that I’m thrilled that such amazing pieces of work are being made into movies to be viewed by all, and potentially scoop up more and more new fans. As was the way with me.

32. When the dwarves from the Iron hills come to aid Thorin and company Tolkien says their beards were tucked into their belts. That wasn’t hyperbole he was using. Though I don’t think that length is neccesary I do think longer beards like Gimli had in LOTR would be somewhat better. However, having said all that I think the hobbit is a lighthearted book and the different looking dwarves with the crazy hair and beard styles show that.