TheOneRing.net: Fandom has always wielded immense power as a set of checks & balances https://t.co/P13dk8NX1P

TheOneRing.net: Reply to this tweet with a photo of your #TolkienCollection

What’s ‘Hot’ is Being Cool

July 17, 2011 at 10:45 am by maegwen  -

(The following opinion piece is the final in the “Hot Dwarves” series, following last week’s Hot Dwarves: Peter Jackson strikes back… with Bombur!)

At last we have our peek at Thorin. Now THAT’S hot — meaning cool. Super cool.

Forget how the man behind the dwarf looks, it’s what the picture promises that has our hearts swelling. This is a Thorin who oozes single-mindedness, determination, ruthlessness and a dash of pomposity.

Didn’t think I would appreciate that, did you?

Richard Armitage is going to be an amazing Thorin because of the intensity he brings to all of his roles. His all-around greatness in ‘Spooks,’ kick-ass action in ‘Strike Back’ or as the complex lover in ‘North and South’ — he has got it going on. Forget checking him out, check those out.

Thorin is cool because his character is a leader the others will follow into battle, who is single-minded in pursuit of what he thinks is right & who, in the end, comes to a tragic end with dignity. And yes, he’s being played by an actor who is talented, modest and, sorry, smoking.

It’s not shallow – it’s fact. But it’s not the most important fact by a looong shot.

***

What started out as a satirical look at the struggle between box-office economics, author intent, fan expectation & creative genius, the “Hot Dwarves” series became something of a joke we couldn’t resist. Just saying “Hot Dwarves” has to make you laugh, no?

The result was interesting and I have to say I loved it. I’m not a fangirl, I just played one briefly on TheOneRing.net. I love the discussion that sprung up, the agreements and the arguments. The people who just thought the whole thing absolutely hilarious. The people who thought I had betrayed womanhood, was guilty of being shallow and insecure, and/or sexist.

Oh and one fan site that scoffed I didn’t know how to spell the plural of dwarf. No, it really is dwarves. C.f. ‘The Letters of J.R.R.Tolkien,’ Letter 138.

Best of all, The people who were horrified at the prospect of — gasp — having good looking men in the movie, or caring if they were good-looking, or for even wondering what Tolkien did or didn’t say about dwarvish attractivness or lack thereof.

Some people enjoy Adam Sandler movies. I love good Tolkien arguments.

Oh, you don’t? Ack. Well, OK. I’ll move on — you might like the rest of this.

***

And it’s not all about Thorin, is it? This is a *company* of dwarves. And a hobbit. A Very Important Hobbit. A hobbit that is no slouch in the cuteness department, might I add.

Plus a wizard, some elves, a dragon, a town-full of men, an archer, a bear-man, eagles, MORE dwarves, a horde of goblins, wolves, and, oh, a partridge in a pear tree named Tauriel who we have no idea what she’ll be doing.

Each and every one of them has a flash of panache (I’ve been dying to use that phrase) that goes beyond their physical looks.

Balin comes across with the wisdom benefiting his age and experience. Bifur & Bofur — their unique headgear aside — are powerful. Kili & Fili, well yes, we do have the “hotness” that was feared/longed-for, but as the younger dwarves in the company let’s assume that they grow into their “dwarfishness” as they age.

Oin & Gloin are warriors that the Goblins will rightly fear. Fierce, daunting, what we have come to expect as dwarves from the ‘Lord of the Rings.’ Dori, Ori & Nori — they all have a distinctive look that pleases.

In fact, it’s the makeup, design, costuming and etc. departments that are hot. Yes, you guys know who you are. Let’s get your pictures up here, OK? Shout-out to the whole production team. If I fangirl anyone, it’s Richard Taylor.

They’ve taken each actor-dwarf and given them a distinct visual identity that will prove very helpful when audiences — even knowledgeable audiences — have to divide attention between so many similar characters.

So, yeah. ‘Hotness’ has many faces. And voices. And styles. And all of those little things you fall in love with that you are never able to put your finger on. They just are.

You know what I mean:

— The twinkle in Ian McKellan’s eye
— The way Martin Freeman cocks his head and looks quizzical.
— James Nesbitt’s dimples.
— When Benedict Cumberbatch’s voice goes reaaaaaaaaallllllll loooooowwwwwwwwww.
— Kate’s sweaty t-shirt — oh wait, wrong show

Oh, and…. Thorin.

*grin*

Bring on ‘The Hobbit!’

=============================================

This is an opinion piece and does not represent views and opinions of TheOneRing.net as a whole.

Maegwen is a long-time senior staffer who loves Tolkien in all forms — films, books, gripes & gushing. She loves to debate everything and can’t resist a good joke.

Posted in Casting Rumors, Hobbit Cast News, Hobbit Movie, Richard Armitage, The Hobbit, TheOneRing.net Community on July 17, 2011 by What’s ‘Hot’ is Being Cool | Discuss
Daggers of Tauriel

47 responses to “What’s ‘Hot’ is Being Cool”

1. Laurie says:

You hit the nail on the head…perfect commentary:)

2. Laurie says:

You hit the nail on the head…perfect commentary:)

3. Micah says:

Not anything like what I pictured him, but he still looks epic.

4. Micah says:

Not anything like what I pictured him, but he still looks epic.

5. Micah says:

Not anything like what I pictured him, but he still looks epic.

6. Micah says:

Not anything like what I pictured him, but he still looks epic.

7. Micah says:

Not anything like what I pictured him, but he still looks epic.

8. Micah says:

Not anything like what I pictured him, but he still looks epic.

9. RAFrenzy says:

Well, I have no choice but to comment on this since it’s out of the park! LOL!!   I’m sure this comment won’t be the last of my opinion on it, but I had to get that off my chest.   Thanks maegwen. 😀

10. Annette says:

Richard Armitage as Thorin is absolutely awesome; as are all the dwarves and of course Bilbo Baggins & Gandolf. Soooo can’t wait for the films. Looking forward to any more photos along the way. 🙂

11. Bregalad says:

My opinion is: this dwarf, with an appropriate hair cut, is just like Faramir, not from the movies, but from the book.

12. Della Dreher says:

Perfectly stated. I actually clapped my hands in delight at your list at the end – a first for me. LOVE this article.

13. Ds1026 says:

It looks like John Travolta from Battlefield Earth. FAIL!!!!! I did like BE though.

14. I expected someone waaaaaaaaaay older but looks cool though, really cool!

15. Yerhiness says:

The Country I live in is peopled with many indigenous First Nations peoples but they do not all look the same. Why couldn’t it be the same with Tolkin’s dwarven cultures?

16. The Misty Bridge says:

I definitely thought they would give Thorin an older look. That’s how I always imagined him — old, headstrong and stuck in his ways.

…But this Thorin is way cool. Go Hobbit!

17. GARROTE says:

For me it’s wonderfull

18. Aleksi says:

Wasn’t Thorin blonde, or is it just my imagination? Because he looks nigh perfect save for that detail…

19. well, I looked up how old Thorin was at the battle of the 5 armies. 195. Also looked up average life expectancy on the forums for a dwarf, which I guess is somewhere around 200?

Based off of that. That is why I always pictured Thorin to have white/gray hair. But perhaps his wardrobe will change. Who knows

20. Re: Tauriel
    I wasn’t a fan of the idea of her at first…but now I realized that she’s there just so we can have a female in this story! The Hobbit is SO male saturated; at least in LotR we had Galadriel and Eowyn (Arwen hardly counted in the books). It’s so people who haven’t read The Hobbit won’t raise an eyebrow (or as much of one) when they see what a sausage-fest this story is, as much as we love it.

21. Tessa says:

I think that, and you think that, but alas not everyone thinks that.  I love all the different looks and I really like the idea that dwarves, being so long lived, “grow” into their dwarfishness a little, as opposed to all being born looking like Mini-Me’s of Gimli. 🙂

22. Tessa says:

23. ZERGDOGG says:

wth, is he wearing braces?

24. ZERGDOGG says:

wth, is he wearing braces?

25. I totally agree with you.  Thorin looks fabulous and Mr Armitage is going to give an amazing performance.
    I’m nodding at all your other ‘ hotness ‘ examples too.  It doesn’t have to be about looks. It’s those little quirks that have
    a certain je ne sais quoi effect.

26. I totally agree with you.  Thorin looks fabulous and Mr Armitage is going to give an amazing performance.
    a certain je ne sais quoi effect.

27. Kiplingkat says:

Split hairs and rationalize all you want, you’re still fixating on looks over story. If they were “hot” men or elves, I would not have an issue, but we are talking about redefining what dwarves look like as to include “heartthrob dwarves”. You’re still the shallow one. Deal.

And please, please, please, PLEASE do not repeat the, argumentative fallacy of the false dilemma “EITHER we have 13 Gimli clones OR we have dwarves that look like Dis had a fling with the elvish milkman.” I have seen it FAR too many time since the pictures of Fili (whom I do not have an issue with) and Kili came out, and as the myriad ways they have differentiated all the other dwarves without turning them into men or elves show, it is no more true now than it was when this started.

You are also trying to excuse your stance on one dwarf (Kili) by tying it to another (Thorin), and trying to tie character design to acting ability. Yes, Richard Armitage is a fantasitci actor, and Thorin at least looks like he fits within the realm of dwarvendom. That has nothing to do with Kili’s character design and fangirls going “SQUEEE! Yay for HOT DWARVES! Cuz’ this movie would be boring without masturbation material added to it.”

28. Kiplingkat says:

With adding the White Council storyline, they are bringing Galadriel back into the film.

I too pray Tauriel has only a Haldir-sized role. I don’t want attention drawn from the real Tolkien stories.

29. Kiplingkat says:

Possibly, except all the dwarves of this party except Bifur, Bofur, and Bonbur are descendants of Durin.

30. ZERGDOGG says:

whats with the teeth? he has some kind of metal studs poking out of them (zoom in)

31. Kiplingkat says:

Sorry, Bombur. Typos.

32. Worf says:

Thorin is distant cousin of Klingon general Martok from Star Trek. 😀

33. Jedp15 says:

I finally got where I’ve seen the likes of this before: a klingon from Deep Space Nine…without the head ridges. If you think about it, even their character traits/cultures are similar. Both are hardy peoples; both  are proud warrior cultures; both prize their weapons and combat prowess, etc. The Klingons are a little more extreme in those areas, however. Just something interesting to think about…

34. Mywishpig says:

Actually I did expect fangirls to defend making Thorin (and Fili and Kili for that matter) look like sex symbols and come up with a bunch of B.S. to explain why they’re not being shallow.

They look nothing like how they are described, they are prettied up simply to be pretty. Don’t act like it’s not shallow. It totally totally TOTALLY is. And please, if you honestly believe it isn’t, slap yourself and stop following yourself.

Making them attractive may be shallow, but it isn’t stupid. People LIKE attractive characters. There isn’t anything wrong with them liking attractive characters either, it’s 100% natural. 13 Dwarves looking as ugly as they technically should, wouldn’t sell as well. I give them credit for making most of the actors ugly and hairy.

But don’t try to dress it up.

35. Ded Thingz says:

I still think that Thorin looks a wee bit much like Rob Zombie

36. TwistedCyberChick says:

Dead ringer for a Klingon sans ridge.

37. Just the way the light is reflected in the teeth, that is all.

38. Can’t wait for the Hobbit to come out. Would be watching it just because we enjoyed the LotR films and fantasy in general, but knowing that my favourite actor plays the head dwarf is just great. 😀 Hot or not, Thorin’s going to be memorable.