TheOneRing.net: Security cam footage proves that Gandalf is officially a disturber of the peace! #Happy4thofJuly https://t.co/xf2UgGtJOc

TheOneRing.net: JRR Tolkien is like “I know a place” and it’s the same corner of the same pub every time https://t.co/hBaXoR81m2

TheOneRing.net: You could have chosen a different screenshot in a story about COVID https://t.co/OoSrtdXunl

Gollum swoops into Wellington Airport

October 25, 2012 at 5:42 pm by Tehanu  -
Gollum is reaching for some nice NZ rainbow trout

Gollum is reaching for some nice NZ rainbow trout

A tired but jubilant Weta crew unveiled their new Gollum statue at a press function at Wellington Airport this morning. Working almost around the clock for three days, Gollum was hoisted up overnight to hover over diners at the airport’s main lounge. The 13m sculpture was designed and produced by Richard Taylor and Weta Workshop supervisors

Rob Gillies and Sarah Morris. Richard made a short speech to thank the team that made the incredibly realistic sculpture – a testament not only to their talent and hard work, but also to the technology and skills Weta has developed. He also thanked the “excellent” team at Wellington Airport, who have been a pleasure to work with in creating something that would bring delight to Wellington’s visitors. Airport CEO Steve Sanderson said the airport was proud to work with Weta and have such a magnificent sculpture on display. “Everyone will be amazed when they enter the terminal.”

Wellington mayor Celia Wade-Brown was also there. She confessed to being a true Tolkien fan. “I was given one of those paperback copies of LOTR for Christmas when I was 12. That was a very, very quiet Christmas as I read my way through those books!”

Posted in Crew News, Director news, Events, Headlines, Hobbit Movie, LotR Movies, Peter Jackson, Production, Richard Taylor, The Hobbit on October 25, 2012 by

Order the Gollum Enraged - Click Here

18 responses to “Gollum swoops into Wellington Airport”

1. Kent says:

The new TORN website is dreadful.

2. Tuatara says:

That’s so cool!

3. joejm66 says:

Richard Taylor and the folks at WETA are so amazingly talented and creative. I truly hope that they get all the appreciation the deserve. That Smeagol in ridiculous cool.

4. We’d love to know why Kent!

5. Tina says:

Personally I don’t think it’s dreadful, but I have tried different devices and different browsers and the pictures always have a shade overlay for me when you enlarge them, don’t know why that is.

6. JOSHUA says:

Cool. Wish people here was as hyped up as those over there.

7. When you say a ‘shade overlay’ – do you mean you don’t see the images at all when you click on them? The function is supposed to overlay the website with the image in an easily navigable format – arrow keys, clicks or even swiping motions on touch devices. I’d love to know if that is not working and if so which browsers/operating system you tried. We are working with the new framework from WordPress.org

8. Cami says:

The look is kind of pretty, but for me it’s not fitting to the screen, which is frustrating. (I’m using Chrome.) I have a pretty big screen, but I still have to scroll side-to-side to see the whole page. Of course, if it *did* fit to the page, the main body would be really awkwardly narrow, with two wide sidebars like that. 🙁

9. Can you send me an email at calisuri@theonering.net with a bit more information so we can try to duplicate the issue? The site is supposed to ‘shrink’ and ‘expand’ based on your device of choice. I’d need to know the browser version, the operating system you are using and if you can,t he type of computer you have. Thanks!

10. Anon says:

I think its ridiculous. Its ugly and might scare kids. Who wants to sit under it while eating. What if it falls. I think its way too hyped. What a waste of money.

11. fawzii ah says:

Looks amazing.. was dea when.dey startd on it.. look awsum gr8 job guys

12. BigBird says:

I think the new version is very nice, but- why all the articles headlines in the main page are cut?

it’s kinda ridiculous that you have to actually enter an article just to know what is it’s full headline and see if it’s interesting for you. (and that’s for both side- the left 3 articles with pictures, and the right which is only headlines)

can you please do something about that? it would be great. 🙂

13. BigBird says:

can you please do something about that? it would be great. 🙂

14. We made that decision based a bit more on modern practices on news sites. If you check most outlets out, you’ll see that they only give a few lines of the article and then link you to the full thing. We were trying to account for that with our ‘Blog News’ in the navigation – that is more in line with how we used to do things.

Your opinion is a common one, so we will definitely be reviewing and considering our options. We greatly appreciate constructive criticism! So thank you!

15. BigBird says:

the Blog News is great, i’ll keep up with that for the time being.
    thanks for the consideration

16. Tina says:

Sorry, I updated my FF, all is good. I thought I had the same problem on the iPad, but it looks okay there as well. Must have been the old FF version and the IE8 version at work that I am not allowed to update. But yes, on the old FF (7.something) the images were visible but had a very dark tint, same on the IE8. But as both browser versions were very old, I wouldn’t worry about it if I were you. 🙂

17. GCord123 says:

This is so cool. Never thought I’d see Gollum at an airport!

18. GCord123 says:

On the other hand, it could scare people who haven’t heard about J.R.R. Tolkien’s books… Or watched the movies.