TheOneRing.net: Security cam footage proves that Gandalf is officially a disturber of the peace! #Happy4thofJuly https://t.co/xf2UgGtJOc

TheOneRing.net: JRR Tolkien is like “I know a place” and it’s the same corner of the same pub every time https://t.co/hBaXoR81m2

TheOneRing.net: You could have chosen a different screenshot in a story about COVID https://t.co/OoSrtdXunl

Theme from The Lord of the Rings Featured in ‘Man of Steel’ Teasers

July 21, 2012 at 3:03 pm by newsfrombree  -

For those attending viewings of ‘The Dark Knight Rises’ this weekend, you may find yourself listening to the end of Howard Shore’s ‘The Bridge of Khazad Dum’ playing as part of the brand new ‘Man of Steel’ teasers. If you have seen The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, you know (SPOILERS) that when Gandalf falls at the bridge, we have an amazingly emotional and dramatic score to accompany this significant event. I get chills just thinking of the scene. Now, for better or worse, that same theme is used to build emotion for the next attempt to revive the Superman franchise. How do you feel about it? Share your thoughts in the comments, our forum and on Facebook! If you somehow managed to go through the last 10 years without owning Howard Shore’s award-winning score, we highly suggest you pick up today! (There are obviously many versions of the score to own, so browse around a bit) [LOTR:FOTR Score] [Kevin Costner Voiceover Teaser] [Russell Crowe Voiceover Teaser]

Posted in Crew News, Events, Fans, Film Screenings, Hobbit Movie, Howard Shore, Ian McKellen, Lord of the Rings, LotR Books, LotR Movies, Merchandise, Movie Fellowship of the Ring, Music, Production, Studios, The Hobbit, TheOneRing.net Community, Warner Bros. on July 21, 2012 by Source: Yahoo! Movies Theme from The Lord of the Rings Featured in ‘Man of Steel’ Teasers | Discuss
The One Ring

25 responses to “Theme from The Lord of the Rings Featured in ‘Man of Steel’ Teasers”

1. pixie2u says:

don’t like it – leave it with lord of the rings!

2. Jacob Justice says:

I was pleasantly suprised. It’s great music, and it seemed to match the emotional tone the trailer was trying to convey. It speaks to the power of Shore’s soundtrack that his compositions hold their emotional significance even in unfamiliar contexts.

3. David Graham says:

Not happy with it, It belongs with Gandalf’s Death

4. Al says:

Love it. Its indicating a different type of Superman film in the works. More than just him flying.

5. Pete_Ritzert says:

I immediately flashed back mentally and emotionally to the aftermath of Gandalf’s fall in Moria. Interesting use of the music–it kinda fits, mood-wise, but for me and a lot of other Ringers, it’s weirdly out of place. Not a bad move by the Superman people, though.
    And I’ll echo a comment I saw elsewhere. Superman leaves contrails?

6. In my opinion, unless they acquired the rights to use the score, they have no sense of originality for the whole thing. And this is NOTHING compared to the magnificence which is The Lord of the Rings…Howard Shore dedicated his soul to the music for the ultimate trilogy, and to know that it is used in such a lowly though famous iconic character, is as good as mocking the brilliance of The Lord of the Rings…I saw the teaser and they should have just used the original Superman theme which was good enough for Superman Returns. To me, NOBODY has the right to misuse the magic of the Lord of the Rings if they do not have a mental state of passion, dedication, spirit, honour and sheer genuine love for the franchise like Sir Peter Jackson and his army of wizards that went through so much sweat and blood and effort to bring the story to life on the screen. So no, in all due respect to Superman, this should not have been used because it is TOTALLY out of the Lord of the Rings’ league! PERIOD.

7. In my opinion, unless they acquired the rights to use the score, they have no sense of originality for the whole thing. And this is NOTHING compared to the magnificence which is The Lord of the Rings…Howard Shore dedicated his soul to the music for the ultimate trilogy, and to know that it is used in such a lowly though famous iconic character, is as good as mocking the brilliance of The Lord of the Rings…I saw the teaser and they should have just used the original Superman theme which was good enough for Superman Returns. To me, NOBODY has the right to misuse the magic of the Lord of the Rings if they do not have a mental state of passion, dedication, spirit, honour and sheer genuine love for the franchise like Sir Peter Jackson and his army of wizards that went through so much sweat and blood and effort to bring the story to life on the screen. So no, in all due respect to Superman, this should not have been used because it is TOTALLY out of the Lord of the Rings’ league! PERIOD.

8. Just as a reminder: The Lord of the Rings trailers used music from other films as well.

9. Lotrfan11111 says:

The main reason I don’t like it is because the song is in elvish which has nothing to do with super man…and in the song it says mithrandeir which is elvish for gandalf…WTF…does that have to do with superman???????????????

10. Cambui says:

The first LOTR trailer used music from Darren Aronofsky’s Requiem for a Dream…. And every body loved it!

11. carmen says:

he doesn’t die.. he just falls

12. JasonK says:

I think it’s silly because the Lord of the Rings movies were so popular that most of the people I know have watched them OVER AND OVER again, as well as having purchased the soundtrack. The association with that song is hopelessly stuck as “Lord of the Rings”, so it doesn’t make sense to use it in something completely unrelated.

13. quillet says:

I watched this trailer with a wtf expression, and when it finished I burst out laughing. Honestly, their use of this song is ridiculous! And laughable! Firstly, as another commenter pointed out, it’s sung in Elvish, which has nothing whatsoever to do with Superman. Secondly, the song is a beautiful evocation of GRIEF, which has nothing to do with the contrived and wimpy Mysterious-Origins-Mood this trailer is trying to evoke.

*snort*

14. “they’re a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, they’re capacity for good, I have sent them you, my only son.”

Read into it, there are some subtle similarities.

15. Kovecs says:

I am not happy with this at all, it is such an emotional scene meant for LOTR. I guess it could be worse, if they used “Concerning Hobbits” I’d march right down to the people who made this trailer and tell em what for!

16. I remember the 1st trailer for THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING used The Crow: City of Angels..but they picked the right essence for the trailer…and after that, all their trailers used their own score…so no, this particular score BELONGS SOLELY to the fall of Gandalf in Moria..it’s a sorrowful scene…and I don’t care if they wanted emotion felt for the new Superman movie, to use it without any understanding or worse, without buying rights to it, it’s a complete dishonour to the magic that is Lord of the Rings.

17. I seriously hope the producers for Man of Steel PAID the royalty for usage of this masterpiece score…the emotion meant for the fall of Gandalf and to introduce Superman…IS UTTERLY RIDICULOUS!

18. Planet says:

It works. Juxtaposition is one of the main tools of visual storytelling. Put this music up against the images you see on the screen and see what happens. I think it delivers the message the studio wants to send, and that’s what counts.

19. Are we forgetting Requiem for a Dream remix?

20. chocobos says:

The music fit pretty well, matched the vague sunset scenery you see with the child Clark Kent. I have not seen Lord of the Rings in many years, so I had forgotten which moment this song was from.

21. elessar says:

he did die, he was sent back as gandalf the white

22. DSMathis says:

They used this song because Zimmer hasn’t completed any of the score yet, the movie isn’t due until next year so hasn’t worked on it

23. Jee says:

Actually that was for The Two Towers not Fellowship. Fellowship used Gothic Power by X Ray Dog.

24. jokersharley says:

I actually got pretty ticked off when I heard it in the trailer. It belongs to LOTR and should never have been used for anything else. Period.

25. Attra says:

They are completely ripping-off LotR, in my opinion. Can’t they use some other music? I mean, LotR was a masterpiece, a god among insects. This, is pathetic compared to it.