- Three Films – Three films will be made of ‘The Hobbit.’ The first film, titled “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey,” will be released on December 14, 2012. The second film, titled “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug,” is slated for release the following year, on December 13, 2013. The Third Film will be “The Hobbit: There and Back Again” only six months later on July 18th 2014. Confirmed by Peter Jackson on his official Facebook Page. [Official Release] [Official Website]
- The first trailer for “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey” was released on December 20th at 10pm ET. [Trailer Page] [Frame-by-Frame Analysis]
- The second trailer for “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey” was released on September 19th 2012 at 10am ET. [Trailer Page] [Frame-by-Frame Analysis]
- Director – The films will be directed by Peter Jackson with Andy Serkis as second unit director.
- Characters – All major characters from The Hobbit are expected to appear in the films, as well as additional characters from the Middle-earth lexicon. Please see our ‘character‘ and ‘cast‘ pages for more information.
- Locations – Both films will be made entirely in New Zealand, using many of the same locations and sets from The Lord of the Rings film trilogy.
- Producers -”The Hobbit” films are productions of New Line Cinema and MGM, with New Line managing production. Warner Bros Pictures is handling worldwide theatrical distribution, with select international territories as well as all international television licensing being handled by MGM.