Less than two weeks after its unveiling, the Middle-earth theme-park mooted for the Spanish province of Rincon de la Victoria is running into copyright concerns. Both Warner Bros. and Tolkien Estate are reported to be casting a close eye over the La Comarca (The Shire) project that was unveiled at the international tourism fair FITUR on February 1.
Rincon de la Victoria officials insist that they have their legal bases covered so that nothing will be considered a copy, and that the park would “not belong to any [single] author”. If that’s the case though, it’s starting to sound mroe like a generic fantasy theme-park and less like a Middle-earth one.
Posted in J.R.R. Tolkien, Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, Tolkien, Tolkien Estate
Leonard Nimoy has died, aged 83. The actor had been suffering from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease for some time.
He was a poet, a photographer, a singer, an artist, and, of course, an actor. For Tolkien fandom he’ll be recalled for the delightfully kitsch Ballad of Bildo Baggins but his key legacy to pop culture and the world will forever be his role as Mr Spock on Star Trek. (more…)
Posted in Characters, Headlines, Hobbit Book, The Hobbit
TORn staffers Ashlee Rose Scott and Greg Barrett were among TORn’s official photographers for The One Last Party at the Hollywood Post 43 of The American Legion. They took more than 2,500 photos of all the action on the night, but here’s a handful of teasers to tide you over while we sort out the very best.
Also very quickly, on behalf of TheOnering.net, I’d like to again thank all the Indiegogo supporters and sponsors who helped make the party possible. Whether you contributed $1 or $1,000, or even simply told folks about our campaign on social media, this party could not have happened without your belief and backing! We hope everyone who attended had a ball, and that those who weren’t able to make it had fun watching our live stream.
We do still have some Indiegogo perk fulfillment to complete, and for those waiting on perks, we’ll be in touch soon to let you know what’s happening there.
In the meantime, enjoy these great teaser stills from the party!
Posted in Bruce Hopkins, Events, Fans, Hobbit Movie, John Bell, Lord of the Rings, LotR Movies, Oscar Parties, Peter Jackson, Sala Baker, The Hobbit, The One Last Party, WETA Digital
You might recall those rumours from around 18 months ago that Universal was considering a Middle-earth theme park. Nothing ever came of that, but it appears that an eight-hectare Middle-earth theme park to be called La Comarca (The Shire) will soon be built in Rincon de la Victoria in Spain.
RINCON DE LA VICTORIA is to be the home of a fantasy theme park based on the universe and characters created by JRR Tolkien.
Eight hectares have been allocated for the park, which is to be named La Comarca (The Shire). The project was unveiled today by the town’s mayor Francisco Salado at the international tourism fair FITUR, currently taking place in Madrid. (more…)
Posted in J.R.R. Tolkien, Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, Tolkien
New York graphic artist “William Puck”, who posts mock Middle-earth travel notices on the New York transit system, has designed one especially in honour of our party! We’re pretty stoked — check it out below.
William has posted hundreds of mock travel advisories across the New York subway over the last couple of years. TheOneRing.net interviewed him a little while back. If you’d like to know more abut his work, you can read our interview here. (more…)
Posted in Creations, Events, Fans, Oscar Parties, The One Last Party, TheOneRing.net Community
The countdown is on!
With less than seven hours to go before The One Last Party kicks off at the Hollywood Legion in Hollywood, our staff are at the venue putting the finishing touches on everything. We’re super-excited and looking forward to seeing all our guests, supporters and VIPs there a little later on. (more…)
Posted in Events, Fans, Hobbit Movie, Lord of the Rings, LotR Movies, Oscar Parties, The Hobbit, The One Last Party
Guests at The One Last Party tomorrow night will be able to sample some lovely red or white wines courtesy of Middle-earth Wines.
The Nelson-based vineyard has generously provided its highly regarded Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Noir wine. (more…)
Posted in Events, Headlines, Oscar Parties, The One Last Party, TheOneRing.net Announcements, TheOneRing.net Community
Check out all the details from Warner Bros. about the contents, pricing and distribution for the home video release of The Hobbit: the Battle of the Five Armies.
Release date will be March 24, 2015. (more…)
Posted in Blu-Ray, DVDs, Headlines, Hobbit Movie, Merchandise, The Hobbit
Party time is fast approaching!
So over the next few days we’ll be putting out some reminders with key information that all party goers should be aware of to ensure that you’re all set to have a great time.
First up, The One Last Party is Saturday 21st February at the American Legion Hall, Hollywood – in case anyone is still unsure! The party starts at 5.30pm and goes until midnight.
- All tickets are “will-call”. Your Indiegogo email and name are on our list. There are no physical tickets; bring ID and we’ll cross your name off our list.
- Dinner + show check-in: If you are Expected Party Goers, Rivendell Revellers or one of our VIPs, check-in is 5:30-6.30pm. VIPs should head to the left hand side of the building; all other party goers check in at the front!
- Dinner buffet: to avoid anyone having to wait in long lines, we’re dividing this into three groups – ‘Dwarven Feast’, ‘Hobbit Feast’ and ‘Elven Feast’. You’ll receive a dinner ticket at check in – please head to ‘Rohan’ (the dining area) at the time shown on your ticket.
- Further fun and games: be sure to check out everything else going on at the party! We’ll have music, magic, photo opportunities, caricaturists and more!
- Show-only: Entish Entertainment folks, your check-in starts at 8:00pm.
- Live Show: will start at 8.30pm.
- Live stream: is free to watch for everyone! TheOneRing.net/live
- Bring cash. We are operating a cash bar. You can use credit cards, but there’s a $20 minimum. On the plus side, you can run a tab against your credit card if you wish. Don’t forget, you may also want to purchase more raffle tickets – and we will have some amazing silent auction items and goodies for sale in ‘Rivendell’ (our party store).
- Party Store: Credit cards will be accepted in ‘Rivendell’, so no worries about having to carry large sums of cash if you plan to bid on the big items. Cash is a lot easier for the purchase of Raffle tickets, but not a requirement. A list of Auction and Raffle items will be posted very soon. This is also the room where you can claim your shirt and button if you are a Rivendell Reveller, or purchase one if your package does not include those items.
- Attire: Black Tie and Pointy Ears Optional. This means that if you have a Tux, or an Evening Gown, wear it. Pointy Ears Optional refers to costuming, which will be acceptable attire for the event. Please note, expert costuming is required for entry. Please read our FAQ on the topic for more details. NB no jeans, shorts, t-shirts or sneakers.
- Goody Baggins: will be given out at the end of the night! At check in, Expected Party Goers and Rivendell Revellers will receive raffle tickets, drink tickets, dinner ticket and a Goody Bag coupon – which you’ll exchange for your bag as you leave the party.
See you at the party!
[Party SubSite] [Party Specifics] [Entertainers] [Party FAQ] [Raffles & Auctions] [Costuming & Attire] [Sponsors]
Posted in Events, Oscar Parties, The Hobbit, The One Last Party, The One Last Party, TheOneRing.net Announcements, TheOneRing.net Community
The Kalamazoo Civic Theatre will be performing a stage adaptation of The Hobbit for a week, starting February 20.
Starting on Feb. 20, the Kalamazoo Civic Theatre will present a play adaptation of “The Hobbit” for one week. (more…)
Posted in Events, Stage Productions, The Hobbit
The Dominion Post is reporting that there may finally be movement on the long-mooted Middle-earth film museum in Wellington.
Wellington’s long-heralded film museum finally looks set for a waterfront home.
The idea was first suggested in 2001, as Lord of the Rings fever established Wellington on the international movie-making map.
Talks between the city council and Rings kingpins Sir Peter Jackson and Sir Richard Taylor about a museum are understood to have been taking place for years, but crucial questions have always included where it would be sited. (more…)
Posted in Director news, Hobbit Movie, Lord of the Rings, LotR Movies, Peter Jackson, The Hobbit
The theatrical edition of The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies is set to release on “home video” in March.
Digital-only release is on March 3, while DVD/Blu-ray will be available in stores from your favourite supplier starting March 24. A couple of versions are already available for pre-order on Amazon. Not sure if other formats will appear, we’ll keep you informed as we find out more from Warner Bros. (more…)
Posted in Blu-Ray, DVDs, Headlines, Hobbit Movie, Merchandise, The Hobbit