TheOneRing.net: I'm now streaming on Twitch! Playing Talk Shows https://t.co/LWNHMc0YuD

TheOneRing.net: Let's dive into the Silmarillion since Amazon's cast is reading it. #TORNTuesday LIVE https://t.co/Hda5HoXbA9

TheOneRing.net: Have you ever started watching a movie then just turn it off and read the book its based on instead?

Guillermo Del Toro departs “The Hobbit”

May 30, 2010 at 5:24 pm by xoanon  -

Guillermo Del Toro announced today that he is no longer directing the two movies based on J.R.R Tolkien’s “The Hobbit”, but will continue to co-write the screenplays. Out of respect to the legions of loyal Tolkien fans, both Guillermo and Peter Jackson wanted to break the news to The One Ring first. They are both committed to protecting The Hobbit and will do everything in their power to ensure the films are everything that the fans want them to be.

“In light of ongoing delays in the setting of a start date for filming “The Hobbit,” I am faced with the hardest decision of my life”, says Guillermo. “After nearly two years of living, breathing and designing a world as rich as Tolkien’s Middle Earth, I must, with great regret, take leave from helming these wonderful pictures. I remain grateful to Peter, Fran and Philippa Boyens, New Line and Warner Brothers and to all my crew in New Zealand. I’ve been privileged to work in one of the greatest countries on earth with some of the best people ever in our craft and my life will be forever changed. The blessings have been plenty, but the mounting pressures of conflicting schedules have overwhelmed the time slot originally allocated for the project. Both as a co-writer and as a director, I wlsh the production nothing but the very best of luck and I will be first in line to see the finished product. I remain an ally to it and its makers, present and future, and fully support a smooth transition to a new director”.

“We feel very sad to see Guillermo leave the Hobbit, but he has kept us fully in the loop and we understand how the protracted development time on these two films, due to reasons beyond anyone’s control – has compromised his commitment to other long term projects”, says Executive Producer Peter Jackson. “The bottom line is that Guillermo just didn’t feel he could commit six years to living in New Zealand, exclusively making these films, when his original commitment was for three years. Guillermo is one of the most remarkable creative spirits I’ve ever encountered and it has been a complete joy working with him. Guillermo’s strong vision is engrained into the scripts and designs of these two films, which are extremely fortunate to be blessed with his creative DNA”.

“Guillermo is co-writing the Hobbit screenplays with Philippa Boyens, Fran Walsh and myself, and happily our writing partnership will continue for several more months, until the scripts are fine tuned and polished” says Jackson. “New Line and Warner Bros will sit down with us this week, to ensure a smooth and uneventful transition, as we secure a new director for the Hobbit. We do not anticipate any delay or disruption to ongoing pre-production work”.

The Hobbit is planned as two motion pictures, co-produced by New Line Cinema and MGM. They are scheduled for release in Dec 2012 and Dec 2013.

Posted in Director news, Director Rumors, Guillermo Del Toro, Headlines, Hobbit Movie, Peter Jackson, The Hobbit on May 30, 2010 by
Guillermo Del Toro departs “The Hobbit” | Discuss

29 responses to “Guillermo Del Toro departs “The Hobbit””

1. Arastrider says:

i believe everything happens for a reason and PJ needs to face his destiny,he needs to accept his destiny that his is also bound to the fate and origins of the ring like Bilbo himself. only he has the passion and heart to see this through, he is the chosen one.

2. andys1 says:

does this mean that we can now look forward to Hellboy 3?

3. Pierre says:

Terry Gilliam Experience counts!

4. Jessica says:

I think the only person who could kind of match Del Toro's vision and style is Alfonso Cuaron. Honestly, I don't really care who does it, as long as it gets done!

5. Joe says:

Peter Jackson needs to do this.

6. Nolan says:

There is no excuse now for Peter Jackson not to direct this himself. What is he going to direct instead, “Lovely Bones 2”? Jackson directing will also give the two Hobbit films the same feel and visual sense as the LOTR trilogy, which would be the way to go anyway. If Jackson does not want to do it, then perhaps he can get Steven Spielberg to do it. He is the only other director I would trust with this project.

7. Alan says:

Agree, Peter Jackson needs to mount up and do the job. The Hobbit needs his vision and talent as director. A new guy wouldn't be the same.

8. Amillennialist says:

My vote's for PJ.

9. Fartsauce says:

Dammit! I just pray that this project will not be handed over to James Cameron or someone as god-awful as him…

10. Amigo says:

Is Guillermo still going to be involved as either a producer or executive producer?

11. amazigh says:

we want peter jackson not del toro

12. Alessandro says:

Peter Jackson please

13. Vale182 says:

Yeah, maybe Terry Gilliam would not be a bad idea either, anything but David Yates please!! to save the integrity of the book, I as a Harry Potter fan can tell you it would be a mistake!!

14. Fake says:

Good riddance. I guess the guy would rather go back to making B-list movies every 6 months, rather than putting in a little effort to make a sure-fire blockbuster (money-wise and culture-wise).

15. Sean Jameson says:

agreed! not a HP fan, but read all 7 books. the journey from book to script was not @ all as good as the WETA team of PJ, Fran & Phillipa. the reason for HP film series sucking is that it was commercialized by idiots who only wanted to make the films for income of goods (i. e., toys/amusement park), not fans who love and appreciate a writer and his or her creation. jk rowling just needed money; and i don't give her credit for anything. David Yates is horrible. the intergrity of every character was broken in the adaptations, as the x-men world was.

16. Kralik says:

Peter Jackson should take over and pick up where he left off..

17. Hannah says:

Peter jackson plz

18. henche says:

¡¡Peter Jackson please!!

19. Toadsmoothy says:

PJ, if you are listening, put your big boy pants back on and direct this thing! You have brought this world alive for millions of fans. It is your responsibility to see it through.

20. Larjur says:

I am kinda sorta done…with the whole mess…if it ain't done proper…why bother.

21. Spaceghost says:

PJ please….
    Every Del Toro movie I’ve seen with great expectations I may add, has been a HUGE dissapointment. Visually the guy is great but as a storyteller, he pales in comparison to Mr. Jackson.

22. Codyisgayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy says:

we need jackson hes the only one that can pull of the phenomenal effects and story line correctly

23. Matt9942 says:

People really have it hard for Jackson dispite the fact that Lord of the Rings is his only significant movie. (Dead Alive was cheesy fun, nothing more)

I’m really not trying to do that troll crap people like to do with these things but I just don’t get the hype he has. The story of Lord of the Rings was what was great and Jackson was lucky to have landed it as it was nothing like any movie he had done. Del Toro, on the other hand, has made several great fantasy movies already and clearly plans on making more. Jackson directs a great trilogy and follows it up with a Jack Black crap fest about a big monkey that unsuccesfully climbs a building.

maybe because Peter Jackson had slightly better material to start with ? just a thought …

25. Rjvavili says:

Peter Jackson is a better director than Guillermo Del Toro specifically because Del Toro’s fantasy films DO tend to be bloated with monsters. I love Del Toro but the fact remains is that Pan’s Labrynth is his true master piece. I love his creature designs but Jackson is the better director.

26. gandalfs flip flop says:

I think people who only think PJ can direct The Hobbit are completley wrong. Yes he did an amazing job with the LOTR Trilogy but that doesn’t necessarily mean no other director could it. I am gutted Guillermo del Toro is no longer at the helm. He is a brilliant director, a great story teller and his films have been visually stunning and hugely creative. I think pj will do a good job, its just a shame del toro couldn’t do it.

27. Ksatchwill says:

For the sake of the latest Sherlock Holmes series…these two films must be wrapped and released as expeditiously as possible. Watson, we need you,