TheOneRing.net: Guys what's stopping you from dressing like this 24/7 https://t.co/gq8KGELGCl

TheOneRing.net: So what you’re saying is my idea of a date is NOT unique 🧙🏻‍♂️ https://t.co/A1IpZhskjR

Warner Bros drops new Hobbit film titles and dates!

August 31, 2012 at 8:13 pm by Demosthenes  -

Hollywood Reporter and various other outlets are reporting that July 18, 2014 will be the release date for the third Hobbit film.

In addition, they report that Warner Bros has announced that the third film will be renamed The Hobbit: There And Back Again.

The second film, to be released on December 13, 2013 will be called The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug.

Veronika Kwan Vandenberg, president of International Distribution said in the press release: “The Hobbit: There and Back Again will be an action spectacle and an emotional conclusion for this already much-anticipated trilogy. Opening in the summer will maximize playability for what promises to be an event film for fans the world over.”

EDIT: I think that the second title Desolation of Smaug means that it will conclude with the demise of Smaug at the hands of Bard the Bowman. Highlight to see spoilery speculation.

Posted in Headlines, Hobbit Movie, MGM, New Line Cinema, Studios, Warner Bros. on August 31, 2012 by
Warner Bros drops new Hobbit film titles and dates! | Discuss

Daggers of Tauriel

16 responses to “Warner Bros drops new Hobbit film titles and dates!”

1. I disagree with the guess as to where the second film will end. The word desolation doesn’t mean death; it means that which has been made desolate. It refers more to the consequences of the dragon’s presence than to whether or not he is dead yet. I can easily see them ending with a reveal of the dragon, or with him flying out of the mountain in rage, and the third film beginning with his death.

2. Fanamir says:

This is exactly what I predicted. And, with this, the structure of the trilogy seems to be exactly as I thought it should be done. I am content.

3. Brady says:

I wish it were titled The Road Goes Ever On, but a title (usually) does not determine the quality of the film itself, so this is a minor nitpick.

4. macmarlen says:

I am very interested to see how they developed this so much shorter prequel to LOTR into 3 movies – and to see how it integrates with the much more complex Trilogy. Can’t wait.

5. Scott Hueter says:

What about the Battle of Five aAmies? Where will they fit that in?

6. I still think the second title sucks, But I still know the movie will be great.

7. Freddie Bombadil says:

HOW?!?!?!!?!? The hobbit is about one tenth the size of the lord of the rings’, if that! This is absolutely crazy. One would be enough. Two would be good. Three, though?!

8. Chad Brick says:

I disagree. The second movie will end as Smaug leaves the Lonely mountain or arrives at Laketown. Inside information makes a great ending, and a mix of Not at Home plus Fire and Water make a great start for the next movie. That would result in a chapter split of 8/4/7 for the three movies, but remember, the second movie should have several chapters’ worth of material from Dol Guldur.
    Ending the second movie after Fire and Water (and assuming Not at Home is still pushed to the third movie) seems strange and anti-climatic to me. It would also leave too little content for the third film, I think.

9. High__Voltage says:

Hooray! I thought there were only 2 films to be made. When was the third first announced?

10. Ron Hunter says:

Thats awesome. Film #2 will be released on my birthday. Film #1 this year will be the day after. Best birthday gifts in the world. Thank you Mr. Jackson.

11. Tuor son of Huor says:

I have to agree.
    I thought “The Road Goes Ever On” was a great suggestion, not sure who came up with that one.
    Or how about “The Gathering of the Clouds” – that’s one of my favourite chapter titles from the book.

12. Allen Round says:

It all comes down to three movies makes more money than one.

13. Oshun says:

Don’t you think that LotR could have been filmed as one of those big budget TV series in 12 or 15 parts? I do. So The Hobbit as three only means it can be done better than LotR as three.

14. RD Williams says:

Three? really?? I’m a little dissapointed by this confirmation that The Hobbit is now going to be THREE movies. PJ, you wouldn’t give us the Scouring of the Shire, but you are going to stretch The Hobbit into a third movie??!! I see no point in a third, none at all in regards to telling the story.

15. Manwe says:

lol alot of people commenting seem to be unaware that there was going to be three (not two) hobbit films, double surprise for them! 🙂
    (That was announced back in July fwiw)
    As for the titles….oh boy. “There and back again” is great, but I thought “An Unexpected Journey” was pushing it, boy was I wrong. “The Desolation of Smaug” sounds oh so clunky and obtuse! Why PJ, why?!