TheOneRing.net: "The last pages are for you, Sam." https://t.co/KHMl2hXyXQ

TheOneRing.net: Happy 81st birthday @IanMckellen! You are an inspiration to all and your performance as Gandalf is the greatest gif… https://t.co/LFLruZDlEy

TheOneRing.net: With a total of 22 Oscar wins between #Titanic and Lord of the Rings, we stan a legend. https://t.co/Qleg1pbBTl

Top 20 Quotes From “The Lord of the Rings”

May 8, 2012 at 7:59 am by Earl  -

It’s been more than a decade since the first of the films in Peter Jackson’s Lord of the Rings trilogy was released, and although fans are now eagerly anticipating a return to Middle-earth with his upcoming Hobbit films, well, one does NOT simply walk away from where it all began.

Today, we feature an article written for TheOneRing.net by guest author Leslie Martinka, Marketing Manager at Hark.com, the world’s largest platform for pop culture quotes and images, on the phenomenon that is Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings, and the top 20 quotes from Peter Jackson’s films:

My Precious“, says Gollum through missing rotted teeth. His emaciated body is evidence of his life in Middle-earth as a slave to the One Ring. For the past 60 years, people have devoured the pages of The Lord of the Rings reading about characters such as Gollum, Frodo and Gandalf. Fans of the trilogy have made it one of the most beloved literary works of all time.

Hollywood revels in making classic books into movies, and it was a no-brainer to re-create Middle-earth and its inhabitants. Peter Jackson brought J.R. R. Tolkien’s vision to life onscreen. Today, 12 years after the first The Lord of the Rings movie was released, fans still quote their favorite lines. In no particular order, below are our top 20 quotes from The Lord of the Rings.

“There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power.”
– Gandalf

“That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo… and it’s worth fighting for.”
– Sam

“Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.”
– Galadriel

“The time of the Elves… is over. Do we leave Middle-Earth to its fate? Do we let them stand alone?”
– Lady of the Wood

“We swears, to serve the master of the Precious. We will swear on… on the Precious!”
– Gollum

“I am Gandalf the White. And I come back to you now… at the turn of the tide.”
– Gandalf

“Oh, it’s quite simple. If you are a friend, you speak the password, and the doors will open.”
– Gandalf

“Well, what can I tell you? Life in the wide world goes on much as it has this past Age, full of its own comings and goings, scarcely aware of the existence of Hobbits, for which I am very thankful.”
– Gandalf

“For the time will soon come when Hobbits will shape the fortunes of all.”
– Galadriel

“There is no curse in Elvish, Entish, or the tongues of Men for this treachery.”
– Treebeard

“I would rather share one lifetime with you than face all the Ages of this world alone.”
– Arwen

“A day may come when the courage of men fails… but it is not THIS day.”
– Aragorn

“The Ring has awoken, it’s heard its masters call.”
– Gandalf

“Your time will come. You will face the same Evil, and you will defeat it.”
– Arwen

“The board is set, the pieces are moving. We come to it at last, the great battle of our time.”
– Gandalf

“But the fat Hobbit, he knows. Eyes always watching.”
– Gollum

“Mordor. The one place in Middle-Earth we don’t want to see any closer. And it’s the one place we’re trying to get to. It’s just where we can’t get. Let’s face it, Mr. Frodo, we’re lost.”
– Sam

“I thought up an ending for my book. ‘And he lives happily ever after, till the end of his days.'”
– Bilbo

“You are the luckiest, the canniest, and the most reckless man I ever knew. Bless you, laddie.”
– Gimli

“I’m glad to be with you, Samwise Gamgee…here at the end of all things.”
– Frodo

The Lord of the Rings, in both its book and movie format, continues to be a classic and loved by fans worldwide. At Hark, we’re excited to provide fans access to their favorite quotes from the movie.

Those are our top 20 quotes from The Lord of the Rings trilogy. What are your favorites? We’d love to hear which ones you think we missed?
– By Leslie Martinka

=================
Leslie Martinka is the Marketing Manager at Hark. Hark.com is the world’s largest platform for pop culture quotes and images.

What are your top quotes from Peter Jackson’s The Lord of the Rings Trilogy? Share in the comments, message board and on Facebook! Discuss on our “Lord of the Rings” message board dedicated exclusively to discussions concerning Peter Jackson’s films!

Posted in Fans, Fellowship of the Ring, Lord of the Rings, LotR Movies, Movie Fellowship of the Ring, Movie Return of the King, Movie The Two Towers, Peter Jackson, Return of the King, The Two Towers, Uncategorized on May 8, 2012 by Top 20 Quotes From “The Lord of the Rings” | Discuss
Daggers of Tauriel

125 responses to “Top 20 Quotes From “The Lord of the Rings””

1. MohamadRezaAyaz says:

and some things that should not have been forgotten, were lost… history became legend, legend became myth

2. MohamadRezaAyaz says:

3. TabithaD says:

My friends, you bow to no one . . .

4. Cadarn says:

“We’ve had one yes.  What about second breakfast?” ~Pippin

5. Milknut says:

I am the servant of the secret fire!

Also… one does not simply walk into Mordor! 😛

6. blujayde says:

lame list!

Frodo:
    It’s a pity Bilbo didn’t kill him when he had the chance.

Gandalf:
    Pity? It was pity that stayed Bilbo’s hand. Many that live deserve
    death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them, Frodo? Do
    not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. Even the very wise
    cannot see all ends. My heart tells me that Gollum has some part to play
    yet, for good or ill before this is over. The pity of Bilbo may rule
    the fate of many.

Gandalf:

Frodo:
    I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

Gandalf:
    So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to
    decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given
    to us. There are other forces at work in this world Frodo, besides the
    will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you were
    also meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought.

7. Sam says:

Seriously, that’s the most well-known quote of the whole movie!

8. longbottom says:

WHAT SAY YOU??

9. Guest says:

I have literally only heard one of these “famous quotes” used by anyone, and I’m a huge LOTR nerd with lots of nerdy friends. Who came up with this list?! It’s complete rubbish.

10. Periantari says:

“I will take the Ring, I will take the Ring to Mordor, though I do not know the way.”

11. Rpc says:

“All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you”
    Gandalf the Grey

12. lethalman007 says:

Frodo – “I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.”
    Gandalf – “So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to do is decide what to to do with the time that is given to us.”

“Keep your forked tongue behind your teeth! I did not pass through fire and death to trade words with a witless worm!”

13. “It is a strange thing that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing…such a little thing…” Boromir

14. I wonder if someone could share the Top 20 quotes from the books (instead of the movies)?

15. Kind of an odd list if you ask me, with some glaring omissions. Also, for my fellow commenters, we’re on a Lord of the Rings fan site guys, you don’t need to remind us where the quote comes from haha

16. Seth97 says:

“One does not simply walk into Mordor unaided.” Boromir.   and of course “Fly you fools!”  And also “You shall not pass!”  Both from Gandalf.

17. Biketrails says:

I do not know what strength is in my blood, but I swear to you I will not let the White City fall, nor our people fail.
    ~ Aragorn to Boromir

18. Mark W says:

“It still only counts as one”
    Gimli to Legolas during the Battle for Minas Tirith

19. Laura A. says:

The ONLY one that I quote all the time is ‘The board is set, the pieces are moving.’ The rest were ok, but most weren’t quote worthy.
    Here are my favorites.
    “You. Shall not. PASS!”
    “That still only counts as one!”
    “Taters? What’s taters, my precious?” “PO-TAY-TOES. Boil ’em, mash ’em, put ’em in a stew. Lovely big, golden chips… even you couldn’t say no to that!” “Oh yes we could! Spoiling nice fish, scorching them! Give it to us raw and wrrrrrriggling!”
    “That’s because he has my ax embedded in his nervous system!”
    “War will make corpses of us all.”
    “Let’s go hunt some orc!”
    “The time of men is over, the time of the orcs is come!”
    “Fear. The city is rank with it.”
    “We shall burn like the heathen kings of old!”
    “Are you frightened?” “Yes.” “Not nearly frightened enough.”
    “It is a gift! A gift to the foes of Mordor!”

20. GillGalad says:

Frodo: “I wish none of this had happened.” Gandalf: “So do all who live to see such times but that
    is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time
    that is given to us”

So true

21. Harun Al Rashun says:

When Gandalf walk along Meduseld to release King Theoden from Saruman’s trick and shout at Grima: Be silent! Keep your forked tongue behind your teeth!! I didn’t pass through fire and death to bandy crooked words with a witless worm!

22. Guest says:

“So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world Frodo besides the will of evil.” – Gandalf

“Great! Where are we going?” – Pippin

“If you’re referring to the incident with the dragon, I was barely involved. All I did was give your uncle a little nudge out of the door”. – Gandalf
    “Dragon? Nonsense! There hasn’t been a dragon in these parts for a thousand years.” – Bilbo

“Have you ever seen it Aragorn? The White tower of Ecthelion, glimmering like a spike of pearl and silver. Its banners caught high in the morning breeze. Have you ever been called home by the clear ringing of silver trumpets?” – Boromir (This one is amazing together with the music!)

“Meriadoc Brandybuck and Peregrin Took. I might’ve known.” – Gandalf”A little late to be trimming the verge, don’t you think?” – Gandalf
    “Knock your head against these doors, Peregrin Took! And if that does not shatter them and I am allowed a little peace from foolish questions I will try to find the opening words.” – Gandalf

Mostly Gandalf quotes, but they are nonetheless awesome!

23. guest says:

I’d like to see 20 quotes from J. R. R. Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings… THAT is where it all began.

24. Ondore says:

“It is no bad thing to celebrate a simple life.” – Bilbo”A wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.” – Gandalf
    “Have you ever seen it Aragorn? The White tower of Ecthelion, glimmering like a spike of pearl and silver. Its banners caught high in the morning breeze. Have you ever been called home by the clear ringing of silver trumpets?” – Boromir (Together with the music this is definitively a goosebumps moment).”A little late to be trimming the verge, don’t you think?” – Gandalf (The sarcasm is strong in this one!)
    “Meriadoc Brandybuck and Peregrin Took. I might’ve known.” – Gandalf
    “You draw far too much attention to yourself Mr. “Underhill”!” – Aragorn
    “Run Shadowfax. Show us the meaning of haste!” – Gandalf
    “It’s the deep breath before the plunge.” – Gandalf (If I recall correctly this is actually a quote of Beregond from the book).
    “My friends. You bow to no one.” – Aragorn
    “End? No, the journey doesn’t end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass. And then you see it.” – Gandalf

These are mostly Gandalf quotes, but they are nonetheless awesome! Basically some of my favorite quotes from the moviesXD

25. Nuno says:

“Send these foul beast into the abyss!” Gandalf ordering a counter-attack using the trebuchets in the Battle for Minas Tirith

26. Bob Blaskey says:

Aragorn to the Hobbits (as best I remember it!):

“No, my friends, you bow to no one.”

27. grayghost says:

Frodo:
    I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

Gandalf:
    So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to
    decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given
    to us. There are other forces at work in this world Frodo, besides the
    will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you were
    also meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought.

28. yoda says:

Can’t wait to see the prequel, “The Hobbit”

29. hugo stigletz says:

It hasn’t been twelve years. It’s been ten and a few months.
    No “You shall not pass!” What?

30. franchise2089 says:

Frodo: I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish that none of this had happened.
    Gandalf: So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you.

31. Gwen says:

I started to cry when I read #20

32. Micro SeeDee says:

Theodens speech at the war of middle earth movie 3.

33. Micro SeeDee says:

Eomer. Take your Èored down the left flank. Gamling, follow the King’s banner down the center. Grimbold, take your company right, after you pass the wall. Forth, and fear no darkness! Arise! Arise, Riders of Theoden! Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered! A sword day… a red day… ere the sun rises!  Ride now!… Ride now!… Ride! Ride to ruin and the world’s ending!  Death!  Death!  Death!

34. Kraaken1 says:

“They have a Cave Troll.”

35. Ghan-buri-ghan says:

“I am no man!” – Eowyn

36. Wren says:

Frodo: “I wish the ring had never come to me, I wish none of this had ever happened”.

Gandalf: “So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that’s been given to us.”

37. Jon says:

“Pity? It was pity that stayed Bilbo’s hand. Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them, Frodo? Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. Even the very wise cannot see all ends.”

38. Tony Lopez says:

“There is one dwarf yet in Moria who still draws breath!”

39. Ellabelle says:

“A wizard is never late. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to!”

40. Am Turner says:

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us. Gandalf

41. Guest says:

“Farewell, my brave Hobbits. My work is now finished. Here at last, on the shores of the sea… comes the end of our Fellowship. I will not say do not weep, for not all tears are an evil.”

42. The_music_bird says:

“So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.” – Gandalf

43. “Well, what can I tell you? Life in the wide world goes on much as it has this past Age, full of its own comings and goings, scarcely aware of the existence of Hobbits, for which I am very thankful”- Gangalf

Gandalf did not say that.. That was Bilbo with his opening line: “Concerning Hobbits…”.

44. Ela says:

“I am no man!” – Eowyn before she kills the Witchking

45. Minna says:

Every line in LotR is worth quoting, but here are some of my favourites that have not yet been mentioned here:

Legolas and Gimli in their drinking game:
    Legolas: I feel something. A slight tingle in my fingers. I think it’s affecting me!
    Gimli: What did I say? He can’t hold his liquor. (passes out)

Grima Wormtongue: Late is the hour on which this conjurer chooses to appear. “Lathspell” I name him, ill news is an ill guest.
    Gandalf: Be silent! Keep your forked tongue behind your teeth. I have not passed through fire and death to bandy crooked words with a witless worm

Treebeard (I love this one!):
    Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves
    and the dreams of trees unfold
    when woodland halls are green and cool
    and the wind is in the west
    come back to me
    come back to me
    and say my land is best

Faramir, looking down at Eowyn: I do not believe this darkness will endure.

46. Marino says:

Gimli: Nobody tosses a Dwarf!

47. Marino Brea says:

Gandalf: Pity? It was pity that stayed Bilbo’s hand. Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them, Frodo?

48. Marino Brea says:

Pippin: “Where are we going?”

49. Rochendil says:

How about obscure quotes.  Pippin on the watch tower of Amon Sul: “Oh that’s nice; ash on my tomatoes!”  Or Sauron to Frodo:  “There is no life….. in the void….. only….. death”

Also did anyone else notice the subtle change in the lyrics to the poem that Sam recites in Lothlorien (EE)?  I can only think of one reason why.  – Tolkien would have been horrified !!

50. mickey g says: