TheOneRing.net: JRR Tolkien is like “I know a place” and it’s the same corner of the same pub every time https://t.co/hBaXoR81m2

TheOneRing.net: You could have chosen a different screenshot in a story about COVID https://t.co/OoSrtdXunl

TheOneRing.net: Now is the time to start reading Lord of the Rings. Grab a book, sit outside amongst nature and escape to Middle-ea… https://t.co/ucfhCVfy62

Middle-earth Madness 2012 – Round 2!

March 22, 2012 at 7:24 am by newsfrombree  -

Round 1 of Middle-earth Madness is over and the results were surprising! Two of the match-ups were separated by approximately 30 votes: (5) Merry narrowly outlasted (4) Eowyn (results) and (4) Gollum barely beat out previous leader (5) Treebeard (results). The only ‘big’ upset in the last round was (6) Smaug taking down (3) Arwen. All of the match-up results can be seen on our ‘Round 1’ page (click here). In Round 2, the Sweet Sixteen, we have some historical competitions. In the Ralph Bakshi Division, the battle for the Ring takes on new meaning when (1) Bilbo faces (4) Gollum. Then we have the battle of manly actors as (3) Thorin Oakensheild takes on (2) Aragorn. In the Rankin/Bass Division, the only remaining Silmarillion character, (4) Feanor, will have his hands full with the top seed (1) Gandalf. And (2) Galadriel could possible feel the extreme wrath of everyone’s favorite Middle-earth dragon (6) Smaug. In the Tolkien Family Division, poor little ole (4) Pippin faces off against the top seed (1) Legolas, fresh off his too-close-for-comfort battle with Elrond. (3) Faramir may have been tempted by the Ring in TTT, but can he overcome the temptation to beat (2) Frodo? And finally, in the Peter Jackson Division. Non-film character (1) Glorfindel takes on yet another Hobbit (5) Merry! And we know (3) Boromir tried to snag the Ring from Frodo, but can he handle the onslaught of (2) Sam? These Round 2 match-ups are going to be close, so vote now, and vote often! This round ends on March 26th 2012 at Noon ET. Continue after the break for the updated bracket (download) and some additional notes!

Just a quite note on voting. We deliberating left this competition vague. The goal is for you to personally vote however you see fit. If you want to vote based on whether these characters can physically ‘beat’ each other, then go for it. If you want to vote on whether you think one is better looking than the other, then go for it. Or if you want to combine reasons, go for it! You will notice as well that we did not limit the number of times you can vote – so vote often! We’ve seen your comments and are definitely taking into account some changes for next year’s Middle-earth March Madness! Enjoy Round 2 and get your friends and family to vote! Most of all, have fun with it!

Rankin/Bass Division – Round 2
March 22nd – March 26th 2012

Ralph Bakshi Division – Round 2
March 22nd – March 26th 2012

Tolkien Family Division – Round 2
March 22nd – March 26th 2012

Peter Jackson Division – Round 2
March 22nd – March 26th 2012

Posted in Events, Fans, Headlines, Hobbit Movie, Lord of the Rings, LotR Books, LotR Movies, Other Events, The Hobbit, TheOneRing.net Announcements, TheOneRing.net Community, Tolkien on March 22, 2012 by
Order the Gollum Enraged - Click Here

72 responses to “Middle-earth Madness 2012 – Round 2!”

1. Aidan says:

Agreed. Gandalf is one of the best characters in the books and movies. There is no way Feanor could beat him.

2. Dreamflower says:

You know this is laughable. LEGOLAS would vote for Pippin– after all he ran for three days to rescue his little friend (AND Merry) only to find they’d already rescued themselves.  The Big Folk of the Fellowship already know who the true heroes are, and would not  thank you for thinking otherwise.

That’s all right, Legolas, they didn’t mean any offense to your little buddy.  It’s just a silly game…like conkers…or spitting…

3. hobbitchick363 says:

if ican’t “behave”? what am i five? i am simply voicing my opinion and if you have a problem with that then go cry to your mommy don’t take it out on me

4. Brucekjeff55 says:

Boromir is getting beat by Sam… Good lord.

5. estelien says:

I think it isn’t hard at all. Eowyn has her own definite character. Merry is basically just LESS.
    He is less noble than Frodo and Sam, less mishap-prone, funny, and lovable than Pippin, and really only serves to add numbers to the fellowship.
    (Please don’t murder me in my sleep tonight, anyone.)

6. Dxfhsdh says:

fgj

7. Dbkbsb says:

Feanor should not even be close to Gandalf. What’s going on here?

8. Eelhunter says:

Need to read the book. Aragorn got the sword before he left Riverdale.

9. Jordan says:

Tempo, I have been trying to think of ways to make fun of your comment, but I’m worried that anything I add would only detract from your (unintentional) hilarity.  I just don’t know what’s funnier, the fact that you think Orlando Bloom (aka the English Keanu Reeves) is one of the best actors in the world, or that you’ve studied the subject of “actors … who can actually tell the whole story without speaking lines” for some time.  I wish I took that course in college.

And come now, you have been teasing us for far too long with this talk of metaphors.  Why don’t you celebrate your victory by elaborating them.

10. Mari says:

You just proved that you are 4. Congrats! 🙂

11. Mari says:

What’s laughable is that you guys can’t get over the fact that other people have the different opinion than you. Merry & Pippin escape was pure accident. They got lucky. Boromir wasn’t lucky when he saved their lives at the cost of his, no?
    Gee, I’m glad you noticed that Legolas went to the rescue! But he is not the true hero for you, sure! I guess he didn’t create situations in which he had to be rescued.
    To me Legolas is a true hero. And very interesting character.  And he more than deserves to have people voting for him.
    BTW, It’s quite amusing that you actually know what The Big Folk of the Fellowship would’ve thought about MY choice on the matter. Unlike for you it’s not a “spitting” game for me. I have more respect to the characters and people here than that.
    My vote goes towards the character that deserves it more in my opinion. Get over it, please.

12. Galade says:

He actually had Gandalf beaten at Noon ET, when the polls were *supposed* to close.  Obvious bias here, they left it open for an hour, and magically, when it flipped over to exactly one vote, they suddenly closed the polls.  They’re really just going to play it so that their favorites win on here anyhow, so it doesn’t matter much who you vote for.  (Smaug was also leading when the polls were supposed to close)

13. Mari says:

From one reader to another: Frodo got the ring before he came to Rivendell. Legolas had his bow way before Aragorn got his sword. LOL. There was no way to resist, sorry!

P.S. Just 1 example (out of so many!): It was Legolas who saved Aragorn (along with his sword that “he got before he left Rivendell”) and the others from despaire on Caradhras. If he didn’t all would’ve been lost. Cheers!

14. Wendell says:

People keep forgetting that Legolas was the first Elf to overcome millennia of prejudice to forge a friendship with Gimli. And that After LOTR finishes they traveled the earth together and created countless gold fixtures for the city of Minas Tirith. In the appendix it sates that because of the depth of their friendship, Gimli was allowed to accompany Legolas to the undying lands, making him (I think) the only dwarf to receive that privilege. It makes Legolas more interesting in some ways than Peregrin who ends up as Thain. The Thain never wielded significant political authority, as the Shire rarely faced military threats from outside. He did pop out lots of kids, but compared to being the first character to build his own ship to sail to the undying land and showing up with a dwarf, Legols ends up much more interesting in my book.

15. Leallegreenleaf says:

me too

16. Amanda says:

ROOTING FOR LEGOLAS

17. hobbitchick363 says:

oh and i’m the child? grow up

18. Blahblahblahlablablab says:

a;sdjf;a aqw34r q3hw; oawfe.
     I’m sorry; I spasm when I read nonsense. Perhaps I could take this seriously if either your syntax or spelling was anywhere approaching, shall I say, the abilities of a well-trained chimpanzee.

19. Blahblahblahlablablab says:

I’m sorry. Let us just leave it as this: Tolkien was brilliant, each character has merit, and it’s preference for everything else.

20. Tempo says:

Aw. Someone
    is having a problem with the different POV. Maybe you should spasm when you
    write nonsense. LOL. English is not my native. But it is enough to explain my
    views without downgrading to insults. Deal with it. Whenever you will be able
    to write in my own language on the comprehensible level, maybe you should let
    me know. If you can’t read, then dont. Bye now.

21. Luthian says:

Merry didn’t kill the Witch King.  That would be Eowyn.  Tall, blonde hair, remember her?