TheOneRing.net: New Line green lit LOTR in 1998 and we watched Fellowship together 3 years later. 🕰 https://t.co/7lXbEc8jQC

TheOneRing.net: Auckland, where LOTR is shooting, goes into Level 3 quarantine after 4 people in a single house get COVID potential… https://t.co/QKLvSFCPyj

TheOneRing.net: I'm now streaming on Twitch! Playing Talk Shows https://t.co/LWNHMc0YuD

MSN Exclusive: Kili and Fili Revealed!

July 12, 2011 at 12:41 pm by newsfrombree  -

The influx of Dwarf pics continues with a Hitlist MSN Exclusive!

Dean O’Gorman as Fili and Aidan Turner as Kili in “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.” Two of the youngest dwarves, Fili and Kili have been born into the royal line of Durin and raised under the stern guardianship of their uncle, Thorin Oakensheild. Neither has ever travelled far, nor ever seen the fabled Dwarf City of Erebor. For both, the journey to the Lonely Mountain represents adventure and excitement. Skilled fighters, both brothers set off on their adventure armed with the invincible courage of youth, neither being able to imagine the fate which lies before them.

Dean O’Gorman is on the left as Fili, and Aidan Turner is on the right as Kili. If you haven’t been following the developments, we’ve seen Gloin and Oin as well as Dori, Nori, and Ori so far. See the bigger image over at MSN! [MSN] (Thanks to Ringer Hope Solo for the heads up!)

Posted in Aidan Turner, Casting Rumors, Headlines, Hobbit Cast News, Hobbit Movie, The Hobbit on July 12, 2011 by Source: MSN MSN Exclusive: Kili and Fili Revealed! | Discuss
Daggers of Tauriel

51 responses to “MSN Exclusive: Kili and Fili Revealed!”

1. Rach says:

Even as a dwarf Aidan Turner’s still fit 🙂

2. Rach says:

Even as a dwarf Aidan Turner’s still fit 🙂

3. Dappleton says:

this is awful! they the one on the left is ok…..but turner looks like an elf! truly truly dissappointed

4. Chris says:

Kili looks very little like a dwarf, yet he looks an awful lot like the Kili I always imagined… creepy.
    They look least Dwarvish so far, but they still look pretty sweet… and it looks like fangirls may yet have a dwarf to idolize!

5. Chris says:

6. Bram says:

I like Fili…, but Kili, I dunno, kinda looks like Wolverine with long hair and a sword, not a ‘conventional’ Dwarf.

7. neorion says:

Hmmm, I think that Aidan Turner looks like an elf!
    Somehow reminds me of Feanor 🙂
    But he could be a pretty good dúnedain, too.
    Anyway, I don’t really bother about a good looking dwarf, I’m more excited to see Middle-Earth and the LOTR cast again (especially Aragorn and Arwen).

8. Undomiel says:

Nice… I like the fact that there’s a good-looking dwarf. If they were all carbon copies of Gimli it wouldn’t really be bringing anything new to the table.

9. Matt says:

I’m very dissapointed. These aren’t the kind of dwarves who pull musical instruments, seemingly, out of thin air at afternoon tea. These are dwarves for a Mad Max movie. Exceedingly unhappy about this.

10. I believe Fili has a mullet. And are these testosterone-challenged dwarves? I’d expect them to have more in the way of beards.
    And by the way: it’s “Oakenshield,” not “Oakensheild.”

11. ian says:

i know that these are just dodgy cgi mockups, and it may well look very diffferent once we can see their ears, but really… skinny dwarves??? dwarves are meant to be stocky, and aidan is anything but.

12. Alexwally29 says:

They both look great, especially Fili! Kili could use a bit more beard, but he’s still a very good dwarf. His bow is very cool!

Aulë was the one who made the Dwarves. Tolkien didn’t describe dwarves in too great detail, but Aulë tried to base them on the people that Eru was about to create (Elves and Men), but he only had a vague idea of how they would appear. The stockiness and strength was given to them so they could be less tired at doing work.

Along with the slow aging (since they live longer than Men or Hobbits even thought they are mortal) it’s something that could justify that they look so different. Maybe it’s even good that there’s some clear variety, that each dwarf is clearly their own person.

If we look at these pictures, seems like the Dwarves change a lot physically as they grow!

14. Rogers Avelino says:

They were going so fine… but this two… God, both Fili AND Kili are blonde! And for God sake, where are the BEARDS!!!!!???? Dwarves without beards? What’s next? A dragon without theeth?

15. Fili has a Dwarf Mullet, and each of them appears to be lacking in Dwarf testosterone, judging by their lack of beards.  And someone please fix the “Oakensheild” typo!

16. Mic says:

I’m not sure what to think about all the dwarves so far. It’s hard to say because I think we’re all used to what Gimli looks like. They look really awesome, and I hope somebody get’s these guys photoshopped with the rest.

17. Jason says:

So, an elf with stubble, and a Rohirrim with braids…
    Well, I guess they would have to go to great lengths to make each dwarf unique and distinguishable from the rest, which was a concern of mine from the beginning.

18. sneko suri says:

Well, with the appearance this sexy rocker boy dwarf, it seems unlikely this film will resemble  JRR’s The Hobbit. No cute colored hoods and silly songs about breaking dishes. Could be a rough ride for those who love the book. I hope I am wrong. Any bets on the talking coin purse?

19. thinker says:

they look like elves, the black haired one….or like a humans. I really dont like it. Gloin and Oin were great but these two are awful, and they should have YELLOW hair, the book describe it, why PJ change details that are described in the book? A dwarf with a bow? Really?

20. thinker says:

I thought the same! What an elf is doing with a dwarf? That was my thought!!! I don’t get it, they probably didnt wanna destroy actor’s handsome face with some dwarf mask…lol. And he has a bow, or am I wrong? And this raven black hair is not ok at all, it should be yellow. Right now the majority of dwarves we were shown looks like humans and in the movie the only difference will be their height. It’s a shame, I would like to look at some races in the movie and distinguis them with no problem, this is elf, that one is a dwarf and the other one is a human man.

21. thinker says:

What is wrong with the black haired guy beard? Is he even a dwarf? With a beard like this he is probably in his puberty, lol. This is not funny mr Jackson!!!

22. thinker says:

yeah, that is probably the reason why they did not change the handsome actors’ faces with some dwarf mask…to make girls happy. That is ridiculous!!! Make me happy and give me real dwarf. There will be enough elves to look at for the girls!

23. Kili, oh my. Prettiest. Dwarf. Ever.

24. Gurumother says:

OMG!! A dwarf with an eating disorder, sorry but not very Tolkienesque at all, I can feel him turning in his grave now. I suggest someone needs to do some reading. I expect somewhere in the credits will be the line ” Based on the Hobbit by J. R. Tolkien “

25. V2 says:

Kili looks nothing like a dwarf, very disappointing. The other dwarves so far have look great though.

26. Bish says:

I see people complaining about the bow, however I’m in the middle of reading the Hobbit and the Dwarves are given bows by Beorn so that they can attempt to kill something to eat in Mirkwood.

27. Ryan Osborne says:

Dwarves use bows. Beorn even gives them bows and arrows in the book. I agree though. Kili looks too human-like. I’m fine with Fili however. He looks like a “swashbuckling” Dwarf lol. He looks like the kind of guy who would yell “ha-HA” after vanquishing his enemy… lol.

28. Whinybaby says:

But Harry Potter’s eyes SHOULD BE GREEN! WAH the world is ending!!

29. ScrewtopReviews says:

Maybe you should learn the mans name!

30. Eledhwen Peredhil says:

Oh no! Kili looks like an elf! He’s tall, lean, has a bow, and is extremely handsome! NOT Dwarfish at all! I think they all look very different, and that’s good, but Kili just looks like and elf 🙁

31. Mr Chicken says:

While I’m not as familiar with Tolkien’s descriptions…

I would be fine with all this if it’s limited to just these two and their good looks chalked down to being the youngest of the dwarves.  Perhaps they’ll become regular little Gimlis later in life, or they’re just unique among dwarves.

32. Chris says:

Not really. 13 dwarves. 1 hobbit. No elves, except here and there… and you do have “real dwarves”. Five of them so far! I won’t mind Fili and Kili AS LONG as they are the only ones who look “hot”. NO hot Balin or Thorin IF you please!

33. Tari Surion says:

I agree with you. This is a disappointment.

But, the dwarves do have some bows in the book, so that’s consistent at least.

34. Flomuk_1 says:

Fili looks like a Teddy bear in need of a snuggle and Kili looks… cute 🙂 Hey, not every Dwarf looks like every other Dwarf, and if they did it would be mighty hard to tell them apart (for me anyway – I was constantly mixing up Aragorn with Boromir in the first LOTR movie, if you can believe that). What I’d like best of all is if Kili looks like this and yet acts completely dwarflike (belching, drinking it up, grumbling…), and not like a slightly-sorter-than-average Man. In the end, though, you could say I am in the “let’s wait and see” group.

In the meantime, I have been dying to see what Bomber looks like! Bring him on! 🙂

35. Amanda says:

Amen!

36. GemmaB3 says:

Waaaaaah Harry Potter’s eyes are green, the movie is RUINED.

Cry moar.

37. Rochendil says:

Every body knows what a dwarf looks like!  They’ve been in the collective western subconscious for millenia!  From The Volsunga saga and Brothers Grimm fairy tails, to Snowwhite, Dungeons & Dragons and on into the whole modern fantasy genre:  SHORT, UNATTRACTIVE, BIG BEARD – there you have it; one dwarf!

People say they don’t want Gimli clones, and neither do I. But there comes a point where you have to say enough is enough. Where are all the hunchbacked, bearded elves that perhaps Jackson should have had in LOTR? (check out Eol and Cirdan in the books for examples). And what about all the Eomer clones that make up the entire army of Rohan?

What Jackson has given us here with Kili is anything but a dwarf!  He’s actually managed to take the original actor and subtract from him all that was even slightly dwarvish (which wasn’t much) and given us essentially a girly elf with stubble.  If they had to give us “hot dwarves” to satisfy the figwit-loving fangirls, could they not have made him look a bit harder and meaner.  I mean he looks like he’s about to star in a blinking shampoo commercial!  Is Jackson trying to suggest that Kili is infact a girl?

And to all those Figwit-lovers out there, go and ruin somebody elses film please!  It’s not a Jane Austin novel.  It’s not a chick flick.  It is at its core a simple childlike and blatantly asexual adventure story.  And that is how it should remain.

38. thinker says:

yeah, in the company we would have short and not so handsome guys, dwarves, a hobbit, and an old Gandalf, that is true, but we are going to see TWO movies!!! There WILL be enough humans and Elves, and I bet some of them will be handsome enough. Just look at the guy who is gonna be Bard, isn’t he ok? And we will see Thranduil Elves in so many scenes, in Mirkwood, helping lake-town people after Smaug’s attack, fighting at The Mountain. And we will see Lorien Elves, cause we are gonna be shown battle at Dol Gundur. Dwarves are not handsome guys, PJackson should get over it and make them as much dwarvish as possible, especially that Tolkien described them really well in the books and some other texts. Out of the seven dwarves we were shown just two (gloin and Oin) look so dwarvish that I wouldn mistake them with any other race. The other five look human or elvish like the one with a bow. But I’m ok with it, I just wanna the movie be perfect, with changes that are really necessary, not made to make some fangirls happy.

39. Azblkman36 says:

I have a real problem with the way Kili looks.  Both are described by Tolkien as being blonde.  Plus Thorin and Co. were all miners before Gandalf found them and recruited Bilbo.  There was no mention of any warriors in the group in the Hobbit.  Kili and Fili were described as being the youngest and most energetic of the dwarves.  But nothing about being warriors at all.  I think that would defeat the purpose of having Bilbo stand out when the dwarves and he get into trouble.

40. Rogers Avelino says:

Man, face it, 95% of the future audience and fans are complaining… Aidan looks NOTHING like a dwarf.

41. Rogers Avelino says:

42. Guest says:

Ok, everyone is so worried about having a party of Gimli clones for two movies, and I get that. But you have to remember, PJ didn’t just dream up what dwarves look like. Outside the varied and numerous descriptions of dwarves in scandinavian, germanic and norse mythologies which establish a set of characteristics, Tolkien provided a good explanation of dwarves himself. That’s where the image of Gimli came from..Tolkien.

1) Dwarves have beards. Period. Male dwarves have beards. Female dwarves have beards. Sure you can have them braid the beards or style them if you want for the characters in the film to have variety, but a dwarf with no beard is just ridiculous. The same way elves cannot have beards. (Yes, but Cirdain had a beard I know, then Tolkien wrote his “elf life cycle” idea to explain it away but let’s not get too technical).

2) Kili has blonde hair. Tolkien was very clear about it. Kili and Fili. Brothers, blue cloaks, blonde hair, really young (in dwarf terms).

Differentiation is good, it makes the actors and characters discernible and memorable and also builds more attachment to them as the films progress. But this version is Kili is just wrong and beyond the scope of creative licensing.

43. Guest says:

44. Guest says:

45. Rochendil says:

Absolutely!

46. Mike says:

Still not an axe in sight. I wonder how this is going to affect the dwarves battle cry: “The axes of the dwarves are upon you!”

47. Mike says:

48.  Snow White would hav eloved having Kili around!lol They ALL look fab…hey Kili has my hairstyle! :OP

49. Thats only because Aidan naturally has Elf like features,but he is most defintiley looking fabulous as Kili…who cares! lol

50. Thats only because Aidan naturally has Elf like features,but he is most defintiley looking fabulous as Kili…who cares! lol