TheOneRing.net: New Line green lit LOTR in 1998 and we watched Fellowship together 3 years later. 🕰 https://t.co/7lXbEc8jQC

TheOneRing.net: Auckland, where LOTR is shooting, goes into Level 3 quarantine after 4 people in a single house get COVID potential… https://t.co/QKLvSFCPyj

TheOneRing.net: I'm now streaming on Twitch! Playing Talk Shows https://t.co/LWNHMc0YuD

A note about the New Yorker magazine article

February 1, 2011 at 12:26 pm by MrCere  -

The pop-culture world has been reacting to the excellent magazine article in The New Yorker about Guillermo del Toro and especially about his designs on ‘The Hobbit.’

Here is a reminder to be media savvy. The material for that article was taken from interviews when all circumstances surrounding the film were different and when Mr. del Toro was still the director. Since then, after many delays, he was forced to move on with his career and life and get back to the long list of projects that were put on hold for “The Hobbit”.

The article was intended to be a profile on the unique genius of the director who has done things his unique way for the whole of his career; it was not intended to be a definitive account of what “The Hobbit” would look like or will look like now. TORn’s senior staff can tell you how deeply sorry the director was to leave the film and how much a fan of the production he remains.

Posted in Director news, Guillermo Del Toro, Hobbit Movie, Peter Jackson on February 1, 2011 by
Daggers of Tauriel

11 responses to “A note about the New Yorker magazine article”

1. Jond02 says:

Thank God he isn’t directing The Hobbit! I’ve never liked his movies, and I was extremely bummed when he was chosen to direct. I hope that Peter gets rid of most of Del Toro’s ideas. Del Toro is the complete opposite of Tolkien.

2. I’m amazed by how myopic some people are about GdT’s vision. A picture’s worth a thousand words, are there are no pictures of his designs; moreover, people seem to simply be afraid of originality and change.
    I know PJ will do well, by GdT’s unique sensibilities will be sorely missed.

3. Gimmie a break.
    PJ has fallen far from the tree of what once made him awesome.
    I mean, the Trilogy is pretty long and tedious at times, but the excuse is there cos the books are so epic. But to pad the first 45 mins of King Kong with lame uncharismatic actors and dumb quirks just to try and satisfy the chick-lit aspirations of his co-writers, and that ABORTION of anti-climatic dead-end nonsense that was The Lovely Bones, there was no need for any of that drawn out epic dreck. I’m not looking forward to the sentimental crapola I know will be laden throughout this movie. Wasn’t happy with the unimaginative choice of casting the snorable, utterly forgettable actor Martin Freeman, and not altogether happy to see PJ back in the seat. It’ll still be good. GDT’s Hobbit–if he would’ve had the control PJ gave Bloomkamp–woulda been better. Makes me think he used GDT as a bargaining chip to keep the production moving forward while not signing on and holding out for more money.
    The Hobbit will be good if they keep it the same in tone and scope as Fellowship, which is the best of the Film Trilogy because it wasn’t trying to so fucking sappy and self-aware of the need to be grandiose for grandiosity’s sake.

4. Gchrista89 says:

Love him, and still do, but based on what I read in this article I would not have agreed with his vision for the Hobbit. He’s a brilliant director and artist and I hope that a few elements of his design remain in the films (such as the color scheme…if done subtly that could be very beautiful) but I don’t think he would have been the right person to bring that world to life.

5. Willillustration says:

I feel with all my heart that you are wrong Jond02. I mean no disrespect to you. You are entitled to your opinion and I’m sure that everything that you’ve experienced in your life has lead to that being a reasonable conclusion. For me, the conclusion is the opposite. I think Mr. Guillermo del Toro is an amazing artist, and a wonderful and beautiful human being. I had a chance to meet him while I was working at a comic book shop in LA a few years back and I spoke to him about how much I loved his work and how much I love the Hobbit and Tolkien. My Father read me the Hobbit as a bedtime story when I was very young. I think the themes of a person being able to define themselves or redefine themselves no matter how set in their ways, is wonderful. It’s the coming of age story of a middle aged man. Mr. del Toro’s “Cronos” has a lot of similar themes. He shows how a man can be heroic no matter his age or circumstances. But I’m getting away from myself. I only mean to say that there are parallels in both their works. I think that del Toro understands the faerie tale in much the same way the professor did. Tolkien wrote in some of his essays of how beautiful and dangerous the faerie world was. Tolkien also wrote of how it was humanity that was supernatural and the faerie world that was natural. Above all Tolkien implied in the under currents of his work that there was something more beyond all this. If you watch del Toro’s “Pan’s Labyrinth” you’ll see all of these themes at work. If you don’t like del Toro’s films, that’s okay. If you don’t feel that he is in keeping with the sensibilities of Tolkien, that’s okay too. You certainly don’t need any ones permission to feel how you do. I happen to disagree. What strikes me, is how callous your statement is. I think on the internet, the anonymity leads to carelessness. We sometimes say things that we would never say to a person’s face. I have tried to say nothing here that I wouldn’t feel comfortable saying to another person, face to face. I feel like that would be a horrible thing to say to someone. I’m sure that Guillermo del Toro, doesn’t care. He could probably take it even if you did look him in the eye with that statement. I still feel that it’s disrespectful. Guillermo del Toro puts everything in to the work that he does. I feel like he should be given at least some modicum of credit for his labor on this film and the ideas he’s contributed. Respectfully . .

6. pip says:

Mmm. Del Toro doesn’t seem to have the same respect of the source material as Jackson Walsh, Boyens. I think we might’ve dodged a bullet.

7. Namssorg says:

Nice reminder- it’s clear that is the case after reading the lengthy and fantastic article, but I already see a lot of knee-jerk reactions online from people reading pasted snippets referring only to his work on The Hobbit preproduction.

8. Jamboogi says:

After reading the article concerning his ideas for what he would have done as director, I’m actually kinda glad he left. Some of those ideas would have just been out of place in Jacksons Middle-earth. I mean come on, an armoured troll that rolled into a ball Sonic style? Seriously?

9. MJ says:

Oh my goodness, thank the Lord that this buffoon is out of the picture on the hobbit.

10. Tttttterrible says:

I reckon that’s a lucky escape for ‘The Hobbit’. Don’t get me wrong, ‘Hellboy’ was pretty cool – but then again, I haven’t read the source material, so I can’t really say how much of a balls up GdT made of it. Hmmm…. thorns/antlers. He is called Thorin, after all. Yeah right. And ‘Bilbo’ sounds a bit like ‘ball bag’ but that doesn’t mean he should wear a hat shaped like a scrotum.

11. MJ says:

Well I would have no problem saying to Del Toro over a beer, “hey dude, you are a buffoon.”