Support TheOneRing.net - A not for profit fan community!
Join us in our forums!
Order the Gollum Enraged - Click Here
Shirebucks Coffee - Click Here

Get emailed with every new post!

Weekly Newsletter

Joining TheOneRing.net newsletter is a great way to guarantee you are always on top of the latest news from the world of JRR Tolkien. And that's not all - because of our great relationships with Tolkien related entities worldwide, we often send out some amazing opportunities available no where else! Don't miss out - Join today!

Select a list:

Twitter Tracker

  1. TheOneRing.net
    TheOneRing.net: @bookoisseur Serious question: Are you as fab in real life as you are on Twitter? Museums, bombs, kittens, books and on and on.

  2. TheOneRing.net
    TheOneRing.net: One week until the LA Baggins Birthday Bash, new location http://t.co/pgTx0gC1XR

  3. TheOneRing.net
    TheOneRing.net: Spending Saturday night debating if the Battle Of Five Armies or Bank Of America will rule the #BOFA tag

  4. TheOneRing.net
    TheOneRing.net: Through night and day, Over snow under mountain, In light and dark, We always #Run3rd for Frodo! Good luck @SeanAstin in Montreal

  5. TheOneRing.net
    TheOneRing.net: Please share photos of Hobbits and Elves at Montreal or Cincinnati! Legolas still thinks they're taking the Hobbits to... you know.

Don’t panic, ‘Hobbit’ not ‘on hold indefinitely’

May 29, 2010 at 11:18 pm by MrCere  - 

Reports around the wwwebs are proclaiming that “‘Lord of the Rings’ prequel on hold” or “The Hobbit On Hold Indefinitely” which surely makes readers click headlines but aren’t actually accurate. They are suggesting the comments that director Guillermo del Toro made in a conference call this week somehow contradicts what Peter Jackson said about the production to MoviePhone on April 16. (Summarized here.) It doesn’t.

As Jackson said, “It’s not really been delayed, because we’ve never announced the date.” The film is, as it has been for a long time, in development. That means scripts get written, and broken down into scenes with cost estimates, possible actors and potential audiences are considered and budgets are written up so studios can gauge potential profits against costs. Then with money in place, a film gets the magical greenlight and goes into pre-production where actors and crew are hired. Contrary to reports, this has not happened yet but we do know designs, costumes, creatures and many elements of the film have been underway. There is obviously enough development budget and work in place to hit pre-production running when that green light gets turned on. Everybody knows two ‘Hobbit’ movies will happen. Guillermo del Toro’s latest comments (remember, in reaction to a false report about a greenlight and the film’s 3D status) are just a restating of what TheOneRing exclusively reported way back on March 17; the MGM financial mess is holding up “The Hobbit”. It has been confirmed many times in many place since then but this isn’t new at all, it is just still the situation as it has been for months. But, there are a lot of signs that Warner Bros. is frustrated, things are moving forward and November is still a target for a start date.

To go with all these facts, our best “guess” is that some official word will come down from the studio in about the next two weeks. As you might imagine, we will report on it ASAP when it becomes official.

Posted in Guillermo Del Toro, Hobbit Movie, MGM, Peter Jackson, Production, Studios, The Hobbit on May 29, 2010 by

Comments are closed.