TheOneRing.net: Collecting The Precious – Weta Workshop’s Witch-king & Frodo at Weathertop https://t.co/NXZ81l5tDw

TheOneRing.net: We have a confirmation for SDCC: Rohan will NOT answer this year. https://t.co/F1ohFGgsUP

TheOneRing.net: Faramir's men wearing masks since the third age. https://t.co/1C617ExGJm

Listen to Neil Finn’s song for The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

November 12, 2012 at 8:00 pm by greendragon  -

As you’ll know by now, Neil Finn provides the end credits ballad for the upcoming The Hobbit movie.  Rolling Stone has the first chance for you to listen to the whole song, which is called ‘Song of the Lonely Mountain’.  As well as a link to hear the song, the short article has a few words from Finn about creating a suitable piece – including the fact that, ‘Pop music needs more anvil!’  The dwarves would surely approve.

Thanks to a facebook supporter for letting us know about this!

Posted in Hobbit Movie, soundtrack, The Hobbit on November 12, 2012 by
The Floor Plan from WETA Workshop

18 responses to “Listen to Neil Finn’s song for The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey”

1. Tolkien Brazil says:

Nice… here is the First tv spot of Hobbit… released from Waner Bross: http://tolkienbrasil.com/noticias/sobre-filmes/divulgado-o-quinto-tv-spot-do-hobbit/

2. OoBaman says:

Just Epic, equally with song from LOTR trilogy :))

3. disqus_fRzf5brZGk says:

Not a fan of this. The voice should have been lower. somewhat anticlimactic after hearing the Dwarves do it!

4. I love this song, especially the part around the mention of the Arkenstone.

5. Pupioso says:

Wow I love it after listening to it about 20 times. This is a great song for a credit roll. Seriously. I like the guitar and hand clapping. Perfect for a group of dwarves. It has an epic yet also kind of folk song appeal. I think it’s going to be terrific.

6. Tristram says:

Total crap. What a let down.

7. MaraBackman says:

I’m very much reminded by Paul McCartney in the 70’s. Whether this is good or bad, depends on how well it fits the preceding few hours of movie.

8. Maarten says:

Very, very good!!

9. Weltwunderer says:

I agree with this – somehow I am reminded of Irish butter ads… But I am sure that after seeing the movie I will love it 😉

10. Huffleclaw65 says:

No. This is not right for a dwarven song. I like the version I heard in the trailer a LOT more. It is so much better with the dwarves singing it. Much more moving. It gave me chills.

11. Melina Cool says:

Finntastic! I love it. SO COOL that Neil is involved in this

12. lizzie says:

I love it!! Neil Finn’s voice is totally suited to this song, quite folky. Its like a hobbit singing with dwarves doing the backing vocals!Got my tickets booked for Leicester Square on 13th Dec, can’t wait!!

13. Nooo…. I don’t like it. It doesn’t fit in with any of the Lord of the Rings end credits song. This should go on an “inspired by The Hobbit” album, not the actual movie. Disappointed. I hope this isn’t an indication of how the film’s going to deliver.

14. Waynelittlewood says:

Can I be the first to say he mentions the freakin’ Arkenstone – Awesome. Also a number of Tolkien’s own lines are in it.- Love it.

15. disqus_NrrLU7vPMZ says:

I love it,its folky and rustic,just how it should be.if you remember when fellowship came out,everyone said enya’s song sounded like Celine Dion’s from titanic!!open your minds.its no use having a rehash of what’s gone before.

16. Astrophil says:

Why should it fit with any of the Lord of the Rings end credit songs? That trilogy had a hugely different tone from this one. The credits song isn’t meant to sound just like the main soundtrack, either. “Inspired by The Hobbit” is pretty much exactly what they were going for, and I’d say Finn achieved it marvelously: kind of a hobbity, folksy tone in places, but with some real drama too, and wonderfully dwarvish hints of hammers and anvils and majestic caverns, and a sense of adventure… Beautiful. It evokes the film, but also stands alone, as any good end credits song ought.

17. Astrophil says:

Happily, we get both. 🙂

I love the version the dwarves sing too, but it wouldn’t be quite right over the end credits. The dwarf version is a mysterious and foreboding song that sets the mood for what’s to come, but this one doubles as a celebration of the pretty awesome movie we’ll have just seen. Finn’s take on the song has more movement and layering, a quicker pace, a more driving rhythm, all much better suited for a stand-alone with only lists of names behind it and an audience starting to stir!

18. Astrophil says:

Love that description! Just perfect.