TheOneRing.net: JRR Tolkien is like “I know a place” and it’s the same corner of the same pub every time https://t.co/hBaXoR81m2

TheOneRing.net: You could have chosen a different screenshot in a story about COVID https://t.co/OoSrtdXunl

TheOneRing.net: Now is the time to start reading Lord of the Rings. Grab a book, sit outside amongst nature and escape to Middle-ea… https://t.co/ucfhCVfy62

Peter Jackson responds to critics of ‘Hobbit’ footage

April 30, 2012 at 8:16 am by MrCere  -

Just in case you missed the maelstrom this week, ten minutes of “The Hobbit,” was screened at CinemaCon to show theater types the wonders of the new 48fps exhibition of film.

Peter Jackson says the negative reaction this week over new technology he’s using to shoot “The Hobbit” won’t hold him back, and he hopes moviegoers will give it a try and judge for themselves.

“Nobody is going to stop,” he said. “This technology is going to keep evolving.”

He hopes critics of the format will change their minds when they see the finished film. There are also some interesting quotes from the theater industry and it doesn’t look like the negative reactions will hurt the film’s chances of being seen as it was intended. (And really, if the industry made up its mind on 10 minutes of unfinished footage shown to journalists, the industry would be in critical condition.)

You can read what our own Cliff “Quickbeam” Broadway had to say from his own viewing at CinemaCon right here and read the Entertainment Weekly story here.

While we are sharing links, Forbes wants Jackson to know that when it comes to “The Hobbit” and 48fps, he is just wrong.

Posted in Fans, Peter Jackson, The Hobbit, Uncategorized on April 30, 2012 by Peter Jackson responds to critics of ‘Hobbit’ footage | Discuss
Thranduil Statue

12 responses to “Peter Jackson responds to critics of ‘Hobbit’ footage”

1. Ron says:

Anybody know if we are going to get to see this footage anywhere?

2. Ron says:

I think all this talk about the Hobbit looking weird is something like the color vs. B&W debate half century ago. In other words, the change will obviously be good, even if a certain “look” goes bye bye. If it is an imaginary place peopled with characters we all love, but it looks more “real”…tell me again how that is a bad thing?

3. Tshoffie says:

Its funny how he didnt push 48 fps  and 3d  for the lord of the rings films..oh wait yes that was before everyone was on the 3d and techno kick they are today.. i hope he doesnt make the film look like a big budget soap opera

4. Zentaur says:

I am not sure how exactly this 48fps will look like, but I can imagine the impression might be similar to that of watching LOTR on a LCD that is 200Hz. I have a LCD that has 50 Hz myself, and when I watched it on the one that has 200Hz I had impression that the movie looks more real and that I am on the set of the movie. At first I was a bit sceptical, then I liked it a lot. So I would take it easy and just wait for the final product.

5. JonD says:

I like the idea of feeling like there is a hole in the theater’s wall and you’re looking into a realistic world. I just hope the props, sets, costumes, makeup, and digital effects can holdup to that type of detail. If it can’t the movie will probably feel like you’re watching a stage production.

6. berserkrl says:

Today’s colour film looks good, but the colour film that originally replaced B&W was the wretched washed-out bluish-looking monstrosity called Technicolor.  That was not an improvement.  Pick at random a colour film from the 50s and a b&w film from the 40s and look at them.  Which looks better?

7. Tor B says:

The ironic thing about your statement, and something you would know had you watched the production videos, is that he *did* film/photograph parts of the Lord of the Rings in 3D.

8. Elainiwen says:

I was a bit reluctant to see 3D as well because I had used to 3D, at first. But I ended up going to cinema wathing many 3D films and now I’ve used to -that-, and I like it. No doubt I would get used to and like 48fps format as well.
    There are always folks that cling to familiar technology and reject the development because of that. But they will grow out of the phase. We can’t deny the changing times.

9. Guest says:

where can i watch this 10-minute preview?!

10. GillGalad says:

I think they should have chosen another movie for the opening of this new technology. Now, LOTR and the Hobbit will look completely different, albeit being shot by the same people.

11. Gagaga says:

If the movie isn’t done exactly like the original Starwars or Bladerunner movie, then the film-geek will not be impressed; and if it is done like either of those movies, then the film geek will say it rips them off. Bottom line, the film geek only exists to whine and moan about things they claim to hate, yet can’t seem to ever stop talking about them.

12. Rosie says:

I thought it looked fabulous.