TheOneRing.net: We got more from our friends at Budk. This time Rohan is getting some love and specifically Eomer. If you’re a prop… https://t.co/0xGfn7HSKX

TheOneRing.net: Hear me out: Animal Crossing, but its Treebeard and you are a sapling Ent arranging your small part of the forest

TheOneRing.net: Can we send some fans to Amazon’s LOTR set just to make fancams please https://t.co/3hl3cPX5Nc

Benedict Cumberbatch will voice the dragon character Smaug?

May 24, 2011 at 4:28 pm by linuxelf  -

With Benedict Cumberbatch unofficially joining the cast of The Hobbit, early reports suggests he will be the voice for Smaug.

Early reports suggest Cumberbatch will voice the dragon character Smaug but the actor refused to specify his role, insisting, “I can’t say at the moment, thank you very much.”

A red-faced Freeman later told reporters, “I knew I was a sort of a big mouth but I didn’t realize to what extent I was a big mouth, and I’ve just ruined everything. I might not actually go back to a job – they might have just sacked (fired) me.”

[Full Report]

Posted in Casting Rumors, Characters, Hobbit Book, Hobbit Movie, Rumours Spy News, The Hobbit, Tolkien on May 24, 2011 by
Thranduil Statue

13 responses to “Benedict Cumberbatch will voice the dragon character Smaug?”

1. Daredevil says:

“Early Reports Suggest..” = Lazy reporter read some fan speculation on an internet message board.

2. Tauriel says:

Oh, please, please, PLEASE let Benedict Cumberbatch voice Smaug! That would be THE BEST THING EVER, he has such an amazing voice!

3. Heidi says:

Found this old interview where BC jokes about wanting to play Smaug.  Sounds like a fit all around.

4. Steele Sheen says:

they cant fire Martin– he’s BILBO! and if they sacked him over this they’d be facing one extremely pissed off fanbase– yeah the people with the cash. so yeah, better that it came from him because some gossip website would’ve broken this story anyway.

5. I think it could be true. Martin Freeman said that he ruined the surprise, and that makes me think Benedict’s role is not a small one.

6. ruthiestro says:

I’d rather he played Bard the Bowman. Smaug really should have an old voice.

7. Otaku-sempai says:

While there has certainly been speculation along those lines, based in part on past remarks made by Cumberbatch, I don’t see where you are getting any hints about voicing Smaug from that article.

8. Bathsheba says:

I love this news!!! I saw this young actor in Sherlock Holmes [title role] and he was brilliant!  Nice to see him paired with his Watson.  Can’t wait to see the movies – thank goodness there’s going to be two movies!!!

LOL Martin! What secret should there be, anyway?

10. Screwtop Reviews says:

What about this would say Smaug to anyone?

11. Nick Azer says:

Wow that’s a bizarre coincidence—I saw the previous post on him two hours ago, decided to watch the first episode of Sherlock for the first time.

First scene, first thing I thought was Smaug. Thought “damn, soon as this is over I’m going to go post that as a comment on TORN”.

Come back, and what’s the headline that’s popped up in that exact hour and a half? This. lol.