TheOneRing.net: Amazon: but we just paid a billion dollars for the rights! https://t.co/HByX7dEtZa

TheOneRing.net: Security cam footage proves that Gandalf is officially a disturber of the peace! #Happy4thofJuly https://t.co/xf2UgGtJOc

TheOneRing.net: JRR Tolkien is like “I know a place” and it’s the same corner of the same pub every time https://t.co/hBaXoR81m2

Nerd News: ‘The Hobbit’ Will Be Filmed at 48 FPS

April 7, 2011 at 11:18 am by xoanon  -

From slashfilm.com (via Quackingtroll): Last week at CinemaCon, James Cameron gave a big presentation called “A Demonstration and Exclusive Look at The Future of Cinema”. You might remember reading about it here on /Film.

At the demonstration, Cameron noted that not only will he shoot Avatar 2 with this new technology, but George Lucas and Peter Jackson were also in support of the changes, and that Jackson had even explored shooting The Hobbit at high speeds. Cameron had heard that Jackson suffered illness before he could complete the tests and convince studio brass to make it happen. But it seems that Cameron heard wrong….

The basic gist is this: Cameron proposes that future movies should be shot and projected at either 48 or 60 frames per second. All of the digital film cameras are able to shoot at that speed, and all of the second generation digital cinema projectors (2010 on) should be able to project at that speed with a software upgrade. The result is a lot smoother movement, less of the strobing effect, which gives the impression of an enhanced resolution. And of course, the higher frame rate will help with the discomfort some experience with 3D. The footage I screened during Cameron’s presentation, shot/screend at 48 frames a second in 3D, looked incredible. The best way to describe it, is to quote Cameron: “If watching a 3D movie is like looking through a window, then [with this] we’ve taken the glass out of the window and we’re staring at reality.” More..

Posted in Hobbit Movie, Peter Jackson on April 7, 2011 by
Nerd News: ‘The Hobbit’ Will Be Filmed at 48 FPS | Discuss

The One Ring

7 responses to “Nerd News: ‘The Hobbit’ Will Be Filmed at 48 FPS”

1. Richie90 says:

this isn’t for certain? It says that Jackson is “exploring” the idea…
    anyway, it would be cool if they end up doing it.

2. GillGalad says:

I think it’s an initiative that should have been taken a long time ago, given the speed at which technology evolves. Even though I don’t care about the 3D part, this new framerate could really have a nice effect on movies!

3. Mr Chicken says:

I don’t think I like this news. It might be something different, but I’ve seen TVs with this sort of effect. Regular TV shows look like home videos or soap operas, and it just seems odd. Sure it’s a clear image, but it sort of ruins the illusion.

4. Joe says:

The Hobbit movies need to have the same look and feel as the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. I want to be able to watch the Hobbit movies and then watch the Lord of the Rings trilogy and feel like I am still in the same middle earth without even realizing that I am now watching Return of the King. If they can accomplish that with these new movies then I will be happy regardless of whether they film it in 3D or not.

5. Kahuna686 says:

What a ridiculous greed-fueled fantasy world that James Cameron lives in. 3D movies are like looking through a window?!?!
    3D movies are like looking into a children’s pop-up book while wearing glasses that are the wrong prescription.

3D needs to go away.

6. Ford of Rivendell says:

What does this mean for presentation? Hope this doesn’t mean anything like Stargate Universe or what was that Will Smith movie, Hancock….where filming is supposed to be “like reality” only it’s horrendous and I can’t even watch it at all. I am a photographer and have dabbled at being a camera woman in the past… and I have tremors and bad balance now…and I shake nothing like that. It’s not realism, it just looks like the camera crew wasn’t trained properly. REALLY hope The Hobbit won’t be that way, 3D or not, I want to watch it. And I agree with Joe, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. It needs to stick with the filmography of LOTR and not an alternate Middle Earth.