TheOneRing.net: JRR Tolkien is like “I know a place” and it’s the same corner of the same pub every time https://t.co/hBaXoR81m2

TheOneRing.net: You could have chosen a different screenshot in a story about COVID https://t.co/OoSrtdXunl

TheOneRing.net: Now is the time to start reading Lord of the Rings. Grab a book, sit outside amongst nature and escape to Middle-ea… https://t.co/ucfhCVfy62

John Rhys-Davies Talks The Hobbit

February 28, 2011 at 12:12 pm by xoanon  -

Bernie writes: Yesterday I attended the Sydney Armageddon Expo for 2011, in which John Rhys-Davies attended. At 11.30, he conducted a panel where he mentioned ‘The Hobbit’.

He said that he would love to return because he had such a brilliant time with ‘The Lord of the Rings’, but would be unable to, due to the toll that his prosthetic. Nothing new. To quote him, “I was asked to return as one of the 13 dwarves, and I thought, why would I want to be one of 13 when I could be one of one?”

Probably the most interesting thing to come from it was that he mentioned he rang Matt Dravitszki, Peter Jackson’s assistant, a week before Jackson went to hospital, asking if they wanted him down in New Zealand to be a “dwarf assistant”, talking to the new actors and helping them out here and there with his experiences. He said they never returned his call.

Finally, he said that the 13 new dwarves have his “deepest sympathies” and that he is eagerly awaiting ‘The Hobbit’ just as much as anybody else.

Posted in Casting Rumors, Conventions, Events, Hobbit Movie, John Rhys-Davies on February 28, 2011 by

Thranduil Statue

11 responses to “John Rhys-Davies Talks The Hobbit”

1. Mrs Baggins says:

His prosthetic…what???? It just ends there.

2. Mrs Baggins says:

His prosthetic…what???? It just ends there.

@Mrs Baggins – John Rhys-Davies was EXTREMELY allergic to the prosthetics used to create Gimli. So much so that the skin on his face literally started to peel and blister, which is something he had to endure for over a year!

4. K-Man says:

@Mrs Baggins – John Rhys-Davies is EXTREMELY allergic to the prosthetics used to create Gimli. So much so that the skin on his face literally started to peel and blister, which is something he had to endure for over a year.

5. @Mrs Baggins – John Rhys-Davies is EXTREMELY allergic to the prosthetics used to create Gimli. So much so that the skin on his face literally started to peel and blister, which is something he had to endure for over a year!

6. Jc18750 says:

From wikipedia…
    “Really I am not sure my face can take that sort of punishment any more”, referring to the pain he went through having the prosthetics fitted to play Gimli — Rhys-Davies suffered severe allergic reactions to the prosthetics with eyes swelling shut during filming.

7. General Ceel says:

“He said they never returned his call.”

Writer’s always try to spin these stories in a way that makes it appear as if there is a fued going on.

8. J R-D fan says:

I also attended the event, and John Rhys-Davies panel was by far the best I have ever seen. I have pics of the panel, and a review up on my blog.

9. Mrs Baggins says:

Thanks. I hadn’t heard that. I’m allergic to spandex and latex so I do understand – huge seeping blisters from something as simple as the wrong kind of bandage.