The War of the Ring Web Campaign for The Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game to Launch Summer 2005
This summer, Games Workshop Hobbyists in the UK will get the chance to take part in The War of The Ring web campaign. The campaign gives hobbyists the chance to decide the fate of Middle-earth! Will the efforts of the Fellowship be futile with the forces of evil overrunning Middle-earth destroying anything good that stands in their path; or will the forces of good rally together and drive out the dark forces allowing Middle-earth to return to peace once more? The fate of Middle-earth will be decided!
The War of the Ring website (www.thewarofthering.co.uk) will be at the centre of the campaign with hobbyists registering their game results, following the campaigns progress and talking tactics! The website will have the following features:
- Interactive Map – where you can explore Middle-earth, find out information about the progress of the campaign and post your gaming results.
- Forums – Here you can discuss tactics, battle plans and where to post your results.
- Hobby Articles – Giving tips on gaming, painting, converting and terrain building.
Important dates for this site:
- 1st of May website goes live for browsing and registration
- 1st June the first results can be posted
- 31st of August the end of the campaign
- September the results of the campaign will be posted
Events and activity around the UK
During the summer there will be coordinated activities around the UK:
- Daily gaming, painting and modelling in Games Workshop Hobby Centres
- The Wrath of Umbar roadshow will be visiting selected Games Workshop stores and independent stockists where participants will have a chance to pick up a special edition Gimli on Uruk-Hai model and participate in special hobby activities.
- Warhammer World will also be hosting The Battle for Rohan, a campaign weekend on the 16th and 17th of July
- White Dwarf, Games Workshops hobby publication will be giving away a free campaign map of Middle-earth with issue 305
About Games Workshop
Games Workshop designs, manufactures, distributes and retails tabletop wargame systems and associated miniatures, marketed as a complete hobby. Its key brands are Warhammer, Warhammer 40,000 and The Lord of The Rings Strategy Battle Game.
The Games Workshop Hobby attracts over 750,000 people worldwide (12+ age group). Hobbyists can paint the miniatures, build their own scenery, join local clubs, take part in local, regional and national tournaments and read all about their favourite characters and worlds in the associated Black Library books.
With its international headquarters in Nottingham, the company also has wholly-owned subsidiaries in the US, Canada, Australia, France, Germany, Spain and over 2,100 people are employed by the company through these operations. Games Workshop owns over 250 retail stores worldwide and Games Workshop product is featured in more than 2,000 independent outlets internationally. Games Workshop is a public company quoted on the London Stock Exchange.
Games Workshop controls every aspect of its business, from initial concept and design through to manufacture, distribution and retail.
Products are sold through the Groups own chain of dedicated retail stores, through independent retailers, by mail order and direct via on-line stores. The Groups publication White Dwarf is available via the stores, by mail order, on newsstands throughout the world (in several languages) and through its website – http://www.games-workshop.com/
About New Line Cinema
New Line Cinema is the oldest and most successful independent film company in the world. In addition to the production, marketing and distribution of theatrical motion pictures, the fully-integrated studio has divisions devoted to home entertainment, television, music, theater, licensing, merchandising and international marketing and distribution. New Line is a pioneer in franchise filmmaking and its Oscar-winning The Lord of the Rings trilogy is the most successful film franchise in history. Together with its subsidiary, Fine Line Features, New Line is a unit of Time Warner. For further press information about New Line Cinemas merchandising program, please contact Stephanie Baumoel or Sheila Feren at FerenComm, 212-983-9898.