2004s Tolkien Weekend at Sarehole Mill is going to be even bigger than last year! This is the fifth such event, and is now an annual item in the Birmingham calendar. Sarehole Mill was the “original” for the Mill at Bywater in the Shire in The Lord of the Rings.
- A miller will be demonstrating his craft with the mill running, and Sarehole Mill will be open for extra hours.
- Displays from The Tolkien Society and Hall Green Library about Tolkiens life and works within the mill itself.
- Dramatised scenes on walks within Moseley Bog from The Lord of the Rings by Shire Productions.
- A Tolkien tent featuring, Elvish lessons, displays from Isengard (the local smial), calligraphy and storytelling.
- Guided walks taking in Tolkiens childhood haunts, the local ecology, and history of the Cole Valley.
- Poetry Pavilion featuring readings from Beowulf, The Lord of the Rings, folk-songs and local poets.
- Discover the Birminghams Two Towers and visit them on vintage bus.
On the green and around the mill there will also be:
- Birmingham City History Bus, Rangers Caravan & Hall Green Historical Society displays
- Environmental displays and information from the local groups that made up the Tolkien Partnership.
- Woodcrafters and a willowworker will be demonstrating their skills
- Games Workshop will be running demonstration games
- Waterstones will have a sales stand of middle-earth books
- Pony rides, Face-painting, archery practice for kids young and old with the Bowmen of Swanshurst
- Refreshments, naturally enough for hungry hobbits.
- Wythall Amateur Radio will be providing a special event station chatting to people across the world.
- Re-enactment from the Dark Age Vikings and War of the Roses re-enactment societies.
- The Black Adder Morris Dancers (Sunday only)
Displays from: RSPB, British Woodcarvers Association, Henna Art, woodland craft demonstrations, handcrafted jewellery, Bee-keepers Association, Morris dancing, Guild of Spinners and Weavers, wildlife information, woodcraft tools, textiles and aromatics and Dough Crafts.
Any queries regarding this Press Release should be addressed to:
Ian Collier, Publicity Officer, 45 Caldew Maltings, Bridge Lane, Carlisle, CA2 5SW