This weekend we continue our examinination of the Hobbit with Chapter 3 – A Short Rest. Bilbo and company make their way to Rivendell, where they are greeted by Elrond the “elf friend” and a group of elves who talk in really bad verse.Posted in Barliman News, Barlimans, Characters, Hall of Fire, Hobbit Book, The Hobbit
Archive for the ‘The Hobbit’ Category
Less than two weeks after its unveiling, the Middle-earth theme-park mooted for the Spanish province of Rincon de la Victoria is running into copyright concerns. Both Warner Bros. and Tolkien Estate are reported to be casting a close eye over the La Comarca (The Shire) project that was unveiled at the international tourism fair FITUR on February 1.
Rincon de la Victoria officials insist that they have their legal bases covered so that nothing will be considered a copy, and that the park would “not belong to any [single] author”. If that’s the case though, it’s starting to sound mroe like a generic fantasy theme-park and less like a Middle-earth one.Posted in J.R.R. Tolkien, Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, Tolkien, Tolkien Estate
Leonard Nimoy has died, aged 83. The actor had been suffering from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease for some time.
He was a poet, a photographer, a singer, an artist, and, of course, an actor. For Tolkien fandom he’ll be recalled for the delightfully kitsch Ballad of Bildo Baggins but his key legacy to pop culture and the world will forever be his role as Mr Spock on Star Trek. (more…)Posted in Characters, Headlines, Hobbit Book, The Hobbit
Now that the movies are over, many fans of J.R.R. Tolkien have asked the staff of TheOneRing.net “What happens next?” The first and most important answer is – nothing is ending – we aren’t going anywhere! TheOneRing.net will continue to be the Internet’s premier home for J.R.R. Tolkien related news and information, as well as providing regular updates on the comings and goings of the cast and crew of all the films.
The forums, the chat-rooms, the headlines, the Facebook page, the Twitter feed, the book discussions, TORn Tuesdays, Happy Hobbit, and everything else, will all still be there for your enjoyment, and will continue to produce new material. There is so much to look forward to! Examples: The video releases of the third Hobbit film and hopefully boxed sets after that. The continued support of Tolkien in local communities as groups of people hold local events to which all are welcome – picnics, potlucks, readings, costume parties and so much more. The celebration of the creative side of things – where people produce art and writing that is inspired by Tolkien’s vision.Posted in Barlimans, Events, Fans, Lord of the Rings, LotR Movies, Oscar Parties, Other Events, The Hobbit, The One Last Party
Ringer kiwifan has told us that Aidan Turner’s new mini-series “Poldark” will be heading to the small screen very soon. Aidan’s co-stars include Eleanor Tomlinson (Death Comes to Pemberley), Heida Reed (Silent Witness), Ruby Bentall (The Paradise), Jack Farthing (Blandings), Kyle Solder (Anna Karenina), the late Warren Clarke (Red Riding), Phil Davies (Whitechapel), Beatie Edney (Poirot) and Robin Ellis, who played the title role in the original 1975-77 BBC adaptation of Winston Graham’s acclaimed novels.
Poldark starts on BBC One in the UK on Sunday 8 March at 9 pm and in the US on PBS Masterpiece on 14 June. It will also be on ABC in Australia.
Aidan says of the extensive riding required, “Luckily I did a lot of riding in New Zealand when we were there filming The Hobbit. I trained a lot and thought I’d leave a pretty good rider – thank God I did as there was a lot of riding in Poldark. It’s very much a part of who Ross is, so it’s immediately getting you into character.” [Read More]
TORn staffers Ashlee Rose Scott and Greg Barrett were among TORn’s official photographers for The One Last Party at the Hollywood Post 43 of The American Legion. They took more than 2,500 photos of all the action on the night, but here’s a handful of teasers to tide you over while we sort out the very best.
Also very quickly, on behalf of TheOnering.net, I’d like to again thank all the Indiegogo supporters and sponsors who helped make the party possible. Whether you contributed $1 or $1,000, or even simply told folks about our campaign on social media, this party could not have happened without your belief and backing! We hope everyone who attended had a ball, and that those who weren’t able to make it had fun watching our live stream.
We do still have some Indiegogo perk fulfillment to complete, and for those waiting on perks, we’ll be in touch soon to let you know what’s happening there.
In the meantime, enjoy these great teaser stills from the party!
You might recall those rumours from around 18 months ago that Universal was considering a Middle-earth theme park. Nothing ever came of that, but it appears that an eight-hectare Middle-earth theme park to be called La Comarca (The Shire) will soon be built in Rincon de la Victoria in Spain.
RINCON DE LA VICTORIA is to be the home of a fantasy theme park based on the universe and characters created by JRR Tolkien.
Eight hectares have been allocated for the park, which is to be named La Comarca (The Shire). The project was unveiled today by the town’s mayor Francisco Salado at the international tourism fair FITUR, currently taking place in Madrid. (more…)Posted in J.R.R. Tolkien, Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, Tolkien
Replicating The Black Arrow that Bard uses to kill Smaug in The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies is made from metal reinforced fibreglass with a urethane head and vinyl fletching and comes with two urethane hooks for horizontal display, in pride of place, on your wall.
This 1:1 collectibles is limited to just 1500 pieces worldwide and a great price of $199.00Posted in Collectibles, Collectibles, Conventions, Events, Hobbit Movie, Merchandise, NYCC, Shop, The Hobbit, The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies, Weta Collectibles, WETA Workshop
The countdown is on!
With less than seven hours to go before The One Last Party kicks off at the Hollywood Legion in Hollywood, our staff are at the venue putting the finishing touches on everything. We’re super-excited and looking forward to seeing all our guests, supporters and VIPs there a little later on. (more…)Posted in Events, Fans, Hobbit Movie, Lord of the Rings, LotR Movies, Oscar Parties, The Hobbit, The One Last Party
Here are some of the items we will have available for the silent auction and raffle, including something for the Non-Attending Supporters of our Indiegogo campaign. We have some rather big ticket prizes, numerous autographed items, and some original artwork for you, and at least one item offered for a Charity Auction. Everything on this list will be split fairly evenly between the silent auction and the raffle, giving everyone a chance to walk away with something very cool. This is not a complete list, things are still arriving, but it will give you an idea of what you will have a chance to either bid on or try and win in a Chinese style raffle drawing.
Gollum Stained Glass Window – handmade
Prancing Pony Mug – handmade
Green Dragon Mug – handmade
Bilbo’s Teacups – handmade
Mallorn Leaf Serving Plate – handmade
Signed Items -
Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King “For Your Consideration” script – signed by numerous LOTR cast and crew
DOS Bilbo Poster – signed by numerous Hobbit cast and crew
DOS Cast Poster – signed by numerous Hobbit cast and crew
TOPPS Autograph Cards – One each for Cate Blanchett, Liv Tyler, Billy Boyd, Sean Astin and Elijah Wood.
Big Ticket Items -
Sideshow Artist Proof of Sauron statue
Sideshow Artis Proof of Galadriel
One note for those of you not attending the party, two of the Signed TOPPS cards, the Sam and Frodo cards, will be raffled off for the Non-Attending supporters during our Live Stream of the party.Posted in Billy Boyd, Cate Blanchett, Elijah Wood, Events, Fans, Hobbit Book, Hobbit Movie, Liv Tyler, Lord of the Rings, LotR Movies, Meet Ups, Movie Fellowship of the Ring, Movie Return of the King, Movie The Two Towers, Oscar Parties, Sean Astin, The Hobbit, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, The One Last Party
Check out all the details from Warner Bros. about the contents, pricing and distribution for the home video release of The Hobbit: the Battle of the Five Armies.
Release date will be March 24, 2015. (more…)Posted in Blu-Ray, DVDs, Headlines, Hobbit Movie, Merchandise, The Hobbit
Party time is fast approaching!
So over the next few days we’ll be putting out some reminders with key information that all party goers should be aware of to ensure that you’re all set to have a great time.
First up, The One Last Party is Saturday 21st February at the American Legion Hall, Hollywood – in case anyone is still unsure! The party starts at 5.30pm and goes until midnight.
- All tickets are “will-call”. Your Indiegogo email and name are on our list. There are no physical tickets; bring ID and we’ll cross your name off our list.
- Dinner + show check-in: If you are Expected Party Goers, Rivendell Revellers or one of our VIPs, check-in is 5:30-6.30pm. VIPs should head to the left hand side of the building; all other party goers check in at the front!
- Dinner buffet: to avoid anyone having to wait in long lines, we’re dividing this into three groups – ‘Dwarven Feast’, ‘Hobbit Feast’ and ‘Elven Feast’. You’ll receive a dinner ticket at check in – please head to ‘Rohan’ (the dining area) at the time shown on your ticket.
- Further fun and games: be sure to check out everything else going on at the party! We’ll have music, magic, photo opportunities, caricaturists and more!
- Show-only: Entish Entertainment folks, your check-in starts at 8:00pm.
- Live Show: will start at 8.30pm.
- Live stream: is free to watch for everyone! TheOneRing.net/live
- Bring cash. We are operating a cash bar. You can use credit cards, but there’s a $20 minimum. On the plus side, you can run a tab against your credit card if you wish. Don’t forget, you may also want to purchase more raffle tickets – and we will have some amazing silent auction items and goodies for sale in ‘Rivendell’ (our party store).
- Party Store: Credit cards will be accepted in ‘Rivendell’, so no worries about having to carry large sums of cash if you plan to bid on the big items. Cash is a lot easier for the purchase of Raffle tickets, but not a requirement. A list of Auction and Raffle items will be posted very soon. This is also the room where you can claim your shirt and button if you are a Rivendell Reveller, or purchase one if your package does not include those items.
- Attire: Black Tie and Pointy Ears Optional. This means that if you have a Tux, or an Evening Gown, wear it. Pointy Ears Optional refers to costuming, which will be acceptable attire for the event. Please note, expert costuming is required for entry. Please read our FAQ on the topic for more details. NB no jeans, shorts, t-shirts or sneakers.
- Goody Baggins: will be given out at the end of the night! At check in, Expected Party Goers and Rivendell Revellers will receive raffle tickets, drink tickets, dinner ticket and a Goody Bag coupon – which you’ll exchange for your bag as you leave the party.
See you at the party!Posted in Events, Oscar Parties, The Hobbit, The One Last Party, The One Last Party, TheOneRing.net Announcements, TheOneRing.net Community