TheOneRing.net: Collecting The Precious – Elessar’s Collection Update 2020 https://t.co/Czmi576EyA https://t.co/kkK9QQvd8w

TheOneRing.net: Looks like Dominic Monaghan is playing D&D tonight! Check out @DomsWildThings over on le twitch https://t.co/JiiIQmLC4k

TheOneRing.net: CONFIRMED: Cinematographer Óscar Faura joins Amazon's @LOTRonPrime show, worked on Imitation Game + all @filmbayonahttps://t.co/Sp74Q12W4q

LA Times: New Pic of Martin Freeman as Bilbo Surfaces – The naming of Sting?

January 14, 2012 at 9:16 am by Calisuri  -

*SPOILERS* The LA Times Hero Complex column has a new pic of Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins in the upcoming ‘The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.’ And while the pic is amazing…it seems to capture almost exactly the following moment from The Hobbit book:  (Chapter 8 : Flies and Spiders)

There was the usual dim grey light of the forest-day about him when he came to his senses. The spider lay dead beside him, and his sword-blade was stained black. Somehow the killing of the giant spider, all alone by himself in the dark without the help of the wizard or the dwarves or of anyone else, made a great difference to Mr. Baggins. He felt a different person, and much fiercer and bolder in spite of an empty stomach, as he wiped his sword on the grass and put it back into its sheath.

“I will give you a name,” he said to it, “and I shall call you Sting.”

The naming of Sting!! Can’t wait to see more images. For the full LA Times article, please follow the link. And thanks to Ringer John for sending us the heads up. [Read more] [Full Res Image]

Posted in Characters, Headlines, Hobbit Book, Hobbit Cast News, Hobbit Movie, Make the Hobbit Happen, Martin Freeman, The Hobbit on January 14, 2012 by
Source: LA Times LA Times: New Pic of Martin Freeman as Bilbo Surfaces – The naming of Sting? | Discuss

41 responses to “LA Times: New Pic of Martin Freeman as Bilbo Surfaces – The naming of Sting?”

1. Jmr7 says:

This part of mirkwood is in the trailer, the part where you can see the ring and Bilbo is standing in the backround.  One interesting thing I noticed about that part of the trailer which I was surprised that none of you pointed out in the frame-by-frame, is that you can clearly see a dead spider to the right of the ring.  I think that Bilbo dropped the ring out of the excitement of killing the spider, and by chance he looks back and finds it again.

2. Jmr7 says:

3. Jmr7 says:

4. Mike says:

muito foda!

5. Bsullivan says:

Where is the elvish writing on sting?

6. Bsullivan says:

Where is the elvish writing on sting?

7. Bsullivan says:

Where is the elvish writing on sting?

8. Bulwar says:

You see, this is what happens when you travel with a group of dwarves. You get their whiskers all over you.

9. Bulwar says:

10. Yayagal250 says:

Magnificent!   *squees in anticipation*

11. Yayagal250 says:

Magnificent!   *squees in anticipation*

12. Yayagal250 says:

Magnificent!   *squees in anticipation*

13. RB says:

I think those are the mushroom-like plants; you see them more clealy in the new pic.

14. RB says:

15. RB says:

16. Rochendil says:

The inscription on Sting says “Maegnas is my name, I am the spider’s bane”; Maegnas meaning ‘sting’ in Sindarin.  Hence the implication is that the sword was engraved after it was named ‘Sting’ by Bilbo and used to kill spiders during the events told in The Hobbit.  Presumably the engraving was made in Rivendell, either on Bilbo’s return journey from the Lonely Mountain or years later when he returned to Rivendell following his 111th birthday.

17. Tolkientalk says:

Amazing! Love that part of The Hobbit. Can’t wait to talk about Ch8 Flies and Spiders in an upcoming episode of An Unexpected Podcast!

18. Tolkientalk says:

19. Yayagal250 says:

No, he’s asking WHERE is the writing?  As you can see in the picture, the writing is not visible.  I think it’s probably on the other side of the blade.

20. Yayagal250 says:

21. Yayagal250 says:

22. Wsmith says:

its been a while but didnt the spider live after beening gravely wounded?

23. Wsmith says:

its been a while but didnt the spider live after beening gravely wounded?

24. Rochendil says:

I’m sorry, I confused you.  Did you read past my first sentence??… To clarify the inscription on Sting IN THE NEW LINE FILM ADAPTATIONS OF THE LORD OF THE RINGS says: “Maegnas is my name I am the spider’s bane”.  It’s not there in this picture because Bilbo has only just found the sword, and it can hardly be called ‘The spider’s bane’ before it’s been ‘bane-ing’ spiders now can it !!!

25. Rochendil says:

26. Rochendil says:

27. Bsullivan says:

No he’s right. The writing just isn’t forged on the blade yet. The name of the blade wouldn’t be named sting before Bilbo found it so it must have been forged by the elves after the journey to the mountain

28. Bsullivan says:

29. Bsullivan says:

30. Thagdal Siran says:

I believe Rochendil answers your question already in his response or am I missing something here?

31. Thagdal Siran says: