TheOneRing.net: When WB wants to treat fans good they really go all out like when 100’s of Ringers went to New Zealand for The Hobb… https://t.co/iYcZBevWrM

TheOneRing.net: I'm now streaming on Twitch! Playing Talk Shows https://t.co/LWNHMc0YuD

New report puts Neill Blomkamp in ‘The Hobbit’ picture

September 10, 2010 at 3:59 am by MrCere  -

Neill Blomkamp mugA New Zealand film website has declared, from its own independent sources, that Neill Blomkamp (District 9) will be directing a pair of movies based on J.R.R. Tolkien’s “The Hobbit.” It was also kind enough to point out that we broke the story as a possibility in June.

The Kiwi site isn’t known for rumor mongering so this is a definitely an interesting possibility that might be pointing to increased Hobbit activity and a semblance of leadership at MGM and a future for these potential gigantic hits (and fan favorites) to get made. Thanks to message board user Magpie for posting this in our forum and to Ataahua for alerting us to the post. You can read the original June forum response here. And, of course, stay tuned for the latest on all things Hobbit, Tolkien and Middle-earth.

Posted in Director Rumors, Headlines, Hobbit Book, Hobbit Movie, J.R.R. Tolkien, MGM, Rumors Spy News, Studios, The Hobbit on September 10, 2010 by New report puts Neill Blomkamp in ‘The Hobbit’ picture | Discuss

24 responses to “New report puts Neill Blomkamp in ‘The Hobbit’ picture”

1. Isen_river says:

Well that’s big news, i guess Jackson really doesn’t want to direct

2. At this point, I might as well stop visiting theonering.net!!!! Lame news like these are not a good sign at all!!! I am sick and tired of hearing all this crap on how Peter Jackson wont direct and how no one knows who Bilbo is exactly but may be it’s him, or him, or him!!! Freaking annoying!!! This has been the worst experience in my life as far as waiting for a film!

3. Joe says:

I would have to agree with you on this. Neill did a good job directing District 9 but in my opinion he doesn’t have the experience to direct the Hobbit movies even if Peter is overseeing the whole show. I will be disappointed if Peter doesn’t end up directing and I think that many other fans will feel the same way.

4. Aphaderuiondur says:

If this news is true then I can’t help but feel disappointed. The media led us to believe that Peter was going to direct and now there is potentially another change (again). This whole movie has been one constant let down after another and just keeps getting worse…

5. looks like Peter Jackson is a coward.. that’s all I have to say

6. Chiara Bruzzaniti says:

i feel sooo sad 🙁

7. Batmccoy says:

It comes across as unprofessional when authors on this site keep adding “we reported this earlier” or “we knew this but couldn’t tell you” in the new articles. Enough already.

8. Candy-O says:

Count me in with the same view. I was really excited when we all thought Peter would be directing. I still watch the trilogy at least 3-4 times a year. I don’t think the magical quality will be there in the Hobbit with out his touch. Would love to see more of Neil’s work..just not in Middle Earth..

9. Bridgekeepers says:

As with all who have commented so far, I am disappointed in hearing this news. I really would like PJ . . . Guillermo was an excellent 2nd choice . . . but in my opinion, Neill Blomkamp hasn’t shown that he can handle something like The Hobbit. While District 9 was certainly something different than the standard media fare and a very well done, well thought out picture, it is drastically different from The Hobbit. Personally, since PJ doesn’t want to do it and Guillermo is out of the picture, I would like to see Stephen Adamson (not sure if I spelled the name right) who did a commendable job on the first two Narnia films. He’s proven he can handle the balance between epic action and high fantasy, has worked with WETA extensively and seems to be a fan of the genre as well.

10. Disgruntled Fan says:

I am at the point now with this whole debacle called “The Hobbit Movie” that if Peter isn’t going to direct then maybe it just shouldn’t get made.

11. Eric Tiede says:

People seem to forget that before THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING, Peter Jackson’s biggest film was THE FRIGHTENERS. He was lucky to get to direct the Lord of the Rings franchise as a basically unknown director. Seeing as how DISTRICT 9 was arguably a much bigger film than THE FRIGHTENERS, I’d say it’s not really fair to count Neill Blomkamp out. He’s obviously VERY talented, and was tapped personally by Peter Jackson to direct HALO- which would have arguably been one of the biggest films of the decade given the sheer popularity on the game franchise. I’d say Niel is more than qualified, and having been chosen by the master himself (P.J.), I’d be happy to hear it’s a fact he’s been chosen to direct and that production is moving forward.

12. West side of Middle Earth says:

District 9 cost 30 million or so to make. It is one thing to make a low budget movie with no real expectations so if it doesn’t do well then no biggie. But to make a huge movie that is a 100 million plus to make like the Hobbit, I would think that MGM and Time Warner would want someone who has a little more experience than Blomkamp at the helm. Yes, Peter got a huge break with getting to direct the LOTR films but economic times are different now than they were back then and I doubt that film companies would want to take that kind of risk in this current financial climate (especially MGM who is in financial trouble already).

13. LotRfan says:

Yeah, this is getting disappointing. I don’t know what’s going on with PJ’s life and I’m sure doing the LotR series to begin with was a huge demand on his time and his life. I love it and wanted to set the same bar for my expecations with The Hobbit, and with the news that’s been coming out I thought that PJ shared that same passion of wanting to do it just as well as he did LotR.

But with all the new developments the magic is beginning to be lost. If PJ doesn’t direct I may not even watch it until I hear feedback that it’s worth watching. And I doubt I’ll be getting the extended BluRay of the LotR when it comes out either, especially when there didn’t seem to be much added to the first BluRay edition that came out.

It’s weird how thing as remarkable as the LotR series can occur and then within a few years somehow the movie companies and people in the industry just seem to forget that it happened or was even a big deal. The passion is simply not there. And if it’s not there for the people making it, it’s not going to be there for the fans.

14. Mark Sommer says:

I am very open to this. Blomkamp is known for his documentary style. Can’t you just imagine a hand held-camera following Bilbo through the Goblin tunnels?

15. Thseamon says:

I am very excited by this news as well as the news that Martin Freeman may be Bilbo. Neill is a talented young filmmaker and can bring a fresh approach to the Hobbit.

16. Listen says:

Not PJ. He is not the right person to direct this, and he knows it. He doesn’t have the energy anymore, and the resulting films would seem old and tired too.

Let him pick a successor. That is the right thing to do and it’s important to trust the process.

17. someone. says:

Neill Blomkamp is NOT doing to direct the Hobbit. I had the oppurtunity to speak with the DP of District 9 (Trent Oplolach) and not only did he say this word for word: “no, Neill is not directing The Hobbit. It’s an old rumour surfacing once again.” But he also confirmed that Neill will be prepping his new sci-fi film titled ‘Elysium’ beginning next month, with Trent once again serving as the DP.

18. Jkinabru says:

IMO, No matter who Directs this, THEY will have some serious shoes to fill. If they don’t make these two movies seamless with LOTR then it is a waste of time and money and also a kick in the B*&ls to Tolkien after putting some much passion and attention to detail with LOTR. Seriously folks look what happened to Star Wars! What a disappointment that was. You can’t make movie history with the LOTR and then do a second rate job on it’s prequel..I think Peter is wise enough to know this and even if he doesn’t direct he will have a close eye on things. Heck I wouldn’t be surprised if they will still have to get the ole PJ Approved stamp back out. Let’s hope 🙂

19. Responder123 says:

I dont know where this site gets its information from and I hate to dissapoint fans but as far as I have heard the court case is still unresolved and if the Tolkien family doesnt get their money then NO one and I mean NOBODY will be making any movie based on the writings of JRR Tolkien and despite what Peter Jackson thinks he will never make these movies…thank you

20. Responder123 says:

21. The site, Flicks.co.nz, is not known for posting false rumors – it should be interesting to see where it all pans out.

22. The site, Flicks.co.nz, is not known for posting false rumors – it should be interesting to see where it all pans out.