Newsweek: J.R.R. Tolkien – Celebrating the Professor’s Greatest Creations [Media Lab Publishing] is on newsstands and store check-out lanes now.
This is a beautiful, high-quality, glossy 100-page issue full of articles, information on both books and films, and many full-page photos. A wonderful collectible opening with an introduction by Shaun Gunner, Chair of the Tolkien Society.
This special edition look at the works of J.R.R. Tolkien book-by-book:
- The Hobbit
- The Fellowship of the Ring
- The Two Towers
- The Return of the King
- The Silmarillion
- The Children of Húrin
- Unfinished Tales
- Beren and Lúthien
- The Fall of Gondolin
- The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
- The Story of Kullervo [newest release]
The short descriptions of the books are accompanied by a variety articles ranging from book cover artwork to meaningful lines from the films.
The issue is also laced with several interesting interviews and articles such as:
- The Ring Bearers: Tracing the history of every ring of power in Arda in a family tree format.
- Creating the First Age is an interview with Ted Nasmith discussing his ambitious Tolkien projects and what it takes to visualize Middle-earth.
- The Saga’s Breakout Star is an interview with Andy Serkis talking about Middle-earth, Gollum and his thoughts about Amazon’s upcoming Tolkien project.
- A Tale for the Ages: The major events shaping the world of Middle-earth is a 4-page review of the ages displayed in individual sections.
- Shaping His World is an article by Tom Shippey looks at what inspired Professor Tolkien in his creation of Middle-earth.
…and many more.
This Special Edition will be on display at stores until October 13, 2018.