A new Happy Hobbit episode!
When Fili learns that a special guest is coming for dinner, and Kili is away in Mirkwood, she has to prepare a meal that is not only quick but delicious as well! (See below the video for the full recipe.)
Cheddar Broccoli Soup
This recipe doubled makes about enough for 5-6, but the recipe below is the single version. So just remember that in the episode the recipe was doubled. And if you don’t have half and half, replace it with milk and 2 tablespoons of butter (or 4 if you are doubling it). Enjoy!
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 small onion, diced
4 tablespoons all purpose flour
2 cup whole milk
1 cup half and half
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 heads broccoli, cut into florets
1/4 cup chicken broth (Use a about a teaspoon of chicken Bullion if you don’t have any broth)
1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
1. In a large pot over medium heat, melt the butter.
2. Then add the onion.
3. And stir it around to cook, 3 to 4 minutes.
4. Sprinkle the flour on top of the onion.
5. And use a whisk to work in the flour. Once it’s combined, cook the onion-flour mixture for 2 to 3 minutes.
6. Then add the milk and half-and-half, whisking constantly until combined.
7. Sprinkle in the salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
8. Then add the broccoli florets.
9. And stir them into the soup. Cover the pot and reduce the heat to low, then simmer the soup until it’s thickened and the broccoli is tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
10. Stir in the chicken broth and check the consistency. The soup should be thick, but if it still seems too thick, splash in a little more broth.
11. Then throw in the cheese!
12. Stir it in until it’s melted, taste and adjust the seasonings . . . And get ready to serve it up!