It’s here! February’s Rewrite Tolkien contest, where you, the fans, can rewrite your favorite passages or scenes in the style of a classic author or theme. We will select a theme each month, and then it’s up to you to put your spin on it.
In honor of Valentine’s Day, the theme for the month of February is:
The Hobbit in the style of Jane Austen
“You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope…I have loved none but you.” ~Persuasion
Using characters and settings from ‘The Hobbit’, put together a romantic tale in the style of ‘Emma’, ‘Pride and Prejudice’, ‘Persuasion’, or any of Ms. Austen’s other works. Get creative, but please keep your entry family friendly / PG rated!
Our judges will read through all of your submissions, and choose the best of the bunch. The Grand Prize Winner will get their entry read live on TheOneRing.net’s newest show, TORn Book Club as well as having it published here on TheOneRing.net. The runner-up will have their story published on TheOneRing.net.
The contest deadline is 12:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (EST) on Monday, February 24th 2014. Please be sure to read all of the submission guidelines below and submit your entry to email@example.com. Good luck!
- Contest is open to individuals worldwide, age 13 and up at the time of entry.
- To avoid duplicate submissions, please include your name and location on all entries.
- To qualify, submissions must be a minimum of 500 words and maximum of 2000 words, feature at least one character from The Hobbit and be in the style of the author/genre for that month’s contest.
- All submissions should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with the entry in the body of the email. No attachments.
- No posting your entry on the message boards or TORn’s Facebook page.
- No profanity. We realize that some authors’ styles require it, so if you MUST use profanity, please censor it with asterisks.
- By submitting, you are giving TORn permission to reproduce your entry on our website or other formats (Twitter, Facebook, etc…)
- Only one entry per person, and each entry may not be submitted more than once.
- Contestants are only eligible to win the Grand Prize once in a 12 month period.
- Entries that do not follow these submission guidelines will not be considered for the contest.