Are you a Tolkien fan? Do you fancy yourself a writer? Do you sometimes imagine what The Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit may have been like in the hands of another author? Well now is your chance to make that fantasy a reality!
We here at TORn are pleased to announce our new monthly contest, Rewrite Tolkien, where you, the fans, can rewrite your favorite passages or scenes in the style of another classic author. We will select a theme each month, and then it’s up to you to best take advantage of it!
The theme for the month of September is:
THE HOBBIT AS WRITTEN BY DR. SEUSS
In anticipation of The Desolation of Smaug, pick a scene that will be in the upcoming film, and write it in the style of that most whimsical of children’s authors, Dr. Seuss. Possible scenes include but are not limited to:
Being captured by (and/or escaping from) the Elves of Mirkwood
The arrival at Lake-town
Bilbo’s encounter with Smaug
Our judges will read through all of your submissions, and choose the best of the bunch. The Grand Prize Winner will get their entry read live by our own Quickbeam on an upcoming TORn Tuesday!
The contest deadline is 12:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (EST) on September 23rd. Please be sure to read all of the submission guidelines below and submit your entry to email@example.com.
Good luck to you all!
- Contest is open to individuals worldwide, age 13 and up at the time of entry.
- To avoid duplicate submissions, please include your name and location on all entries.
- To qualify, submissions must be a minimum of 500 words and maximum of 2000 words, feature characters from The Hobbit and be in the style of the author/genre for that month’s contest.
- All submissions should be emailed to mailto: firstname.lastname@example.org with the entry in the body of the email. No attachments.
- No posting your entry on the message boards or TORn’s Facebook page.
- No profanity. We realize that some authors’ styles require it, so if you MUST use profanity, please censor it with asterisks.
- By submitting, you are giving TORn permission to reproduce your entry on our website or other formats (Twitter, Facebook, etc…)
- You may submit as many entries as you want, but do not submit the same entry more than once.
- Contestants are only eligible to win once in a 12 month period.
- Entries that do not follow these submission guidelines will not be considered for the contest.