Without hearing from our official entities, this reporter will unequivocally state the following poster is NOT the first poster for ‘The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug.‘ Why? There are a variety of reasons, some I will outline below with a ‘fake factor’ rating. The closer to 10, the more obvious the error should raise a red flag!
- Fonts – All major film/tv licenses have a strict style guide that require all assets created follow a defined set of rules. One of the main components of any style guide are the specific typographical fonts allowed to be used. The font used with the ‘From The Director of ‘Lord of the Rings’ Trilogy’ is wrong. (Fake Factor: 8)
- Film Name – Another major component of a style guide? Getting the film name correct! Guess what folks, the LOTR trilogy can only officially be called ‘The Lord of the Rings’ trilogy, not ‘Lord of the Rings’ trilogy. (Fake Factor: 10)
- Existing Imagery – Here’s a link to the image that was used in this ‘poster.’ Yup, just swapped the color on the jacket. [Image] (Fake Factor: 8)
- Poor Graphics – Let’s be real here. While some might be cynical about PJ’s films, he would never let such a poorly composed photoshop job make it into the wild. Check out the really bad ‘white’ glow behind Bilbo.(Fake Factor: 9)
- Low Res – Anytime an image is sent around to various news sites in a lower res format, it is usually because the creator doesn’t want you to notice the poor quality of the composition. (Fake Factor: 5)
And on and on…(I’m sure many of you will find additional reasons)
Here at TheOneRing.net, we try our hardest to never report something as ‘fact’ until we are sure. But if this is the real poster, then we don’t have much faith in what is coming next in the franchise!!
Do you see other red flags in the poster that clearly show its a fake? Enter them below in the comments!