TheOneRing.net: Security cam footage proves that Gandalf is officially a disturber of the peace! #Happy4thofJuly https://t.co/xf2UgGtJOc

TheOneRing.net: JRR Tolkien is like “I know a place” and it’s the same corner of the same pub every time https://t.co/hBaXoR81m2

TheOneRing.net: You could have chosen a different screenshot in a story about COVID https://t.co/OoSrtdXunl

Dominic Monaghan takes aim at reality show ‘Swamp People’

October 15, 2012 at 9:27 am by grammaboodawg  -

SFGate

Saturday Oct 13, 2012 6:20 PM PT

“Lord of the Rings” star Dominic Monaghan has vowed to end reality TV shows that feature people who are cruel to reptiles – and he’s starting with “Swamp People.”

The animal lover has blasted the producers of the History Channel show, which features alligator hunters in Louisiana’s Atchafalaya River Basin swamp.

The third season of the show debuted in February, and Monaghan can’t believe it has lasted that long.

Taking to Twitter.com on Thursday, the actor snaps, “(It’s) shock TV… If my hero (‘Crocodile Hunter’ star and conservationist) Steve Irwin was around, those shows about killing alligators wouldn’t be on TV. I’m gonna (sic) stop them.”

Calling “Swamp People” “death entertainment that continues to demonize reptiles as monsters and animals that are okay to torture and kill,” Monaghan adds, “If alligator populations need to be controlled, I understand. But the act should not be glorified on TV. Disgusting.”

Posted in Miscellaneous on October 15, 2012 by
Thranduil Statue

20 responses to “Dominic Monaghan takes aim at reality show ‘Swamp People’”

1. Pete_Ritzert says:

Sic ’em, Dom. I totally agree.

2. sam says:

You stink swamp people is awsome

3. P8TRIOT says:

Dom, though I love you….stick to acting I really don’t care for your iron-fisted approach to blasting something that really IS NOT an issue. Leave our shows alone, I am sure your TV viewing is as pure as the wind driven snow, give me a break, don’t give me a reason to start disliking you.

4. Tom Fitton says:

Well done Dominic! A Hobbit that shares the same passion as me.

5. Jeff says:

I was expecting a tree-hugger type comment from him, but he actually expressed himself rather well, conveying that he understood the need for alligator hunting, but it does not need to be glorified on TV. I agree.

6. SeeYouLater says:

Well spoken, Dominic!

7. jan says:

how right you are, Dom! Unbelievable that a normally class-act History Channel sinks that low. Now if we could only get some of the other sleazy reality shows off the air…….

8. tim says:

DM is on the same page as me concerning this.I’m from south Louisiana and not only is it cruel but the show paints us Cajuns as stupid and barbaric.

9. stu says:

Really? So what does he think about killing dragons for treasure? What about the flying Ring-Wraiths? He didn’t seem to mind where that was going did he? 😉

10. You go, Dom! There are so many sick, evil-minded, ignorant fools out there relishing in torture and death because they think it makes them men. It’s just bully mentality taken to extremes, but shame on the greed of The History Channel (and others) for exploiting the degenerate underbelly of society for profit.

11. John Bailey says:

Reality shows are all just Jerry Springer with a different topic…

12. mikhail says:

you’re confusing reality with fantasy

13. Pagodahell says:

Dominic doesn’t have a clue in this regard. He nees to shut up, sit down, and keep going to alcoholics anonymous.

14. Juice says:

gator hunting helps the economy by reducing the liabilities of nuisance gators in rural areas, missing livestock and attacks on humans, not to mention the small window citizens are given to hunt the gators and sell the meat and skins as part of their regular income. the history channel is only filming the lifestyle of the people who depend on this economy, and this lifestyle is vital for YOU, whether you like it or not.

15. Sue Martin says:

The people on Swamp People are making a living to take care of their families. Just because it is not what you want to do don’t downgrade them for it. Different strokes for different folks !!!!! How do you think the steaks you eat get to your table ? Do you think they rock and sing the cows to death ???? We love you Swamp People !!!!!!

16. SomeBoddy says:

Yep, and I’m sure you’d feel just the same way if people were killing you and your friends/ family on TV for the enjoyment of others wouldn’t you?

17. River Coner says:

I’ve never seen this shoe, but if Dominic doesn’t like it neither do I:)

18. Sue Martin says:

The Swamp People are making a living doing what their families have done for 300 years. There is nothing wrong with what they are doing. And, if you don’t like it don’t watch it !!! I don’t like Lord of the Rings, so, I don’t watch it !!! We Love you Swamp People !!!!!!!!!!

19. P8TRIOT says:

what?! What planet are you from? Where on television are families being killed for the enjoyment of others?

20. Churchill4President says:

I guess killing orcs, goblins and waargs is also disgusting. Just more politically correct righteous indignation from another celebrity.