TheOneRing.net: You will want to get to know supporting actor Owain Arthur as his next project is Amazon’s Lord of the Rings https://t.co/LBCpdGxQQs

TheOneRing.net: Collecting The Precious – Star Ace Toys Defo-Real Balrog Review https://t.co/Lk4mE0a0cl https://t.co/ZbdgqWhLIW

TheOneRing.net: Courtesy reminder that they really don’t “got this covered”

MANY MISSING THINGS: Top 25 Gems Absent from the Trailer!

September 26, 2012 at 2:16 pm by Cliff Quickbeam Broadway  -

Greetings – Quickbeam here.

The new Hobbit trailer, judging by various responses from fans and non-fans alike, is a resplendent thing.  I remember the phrase “an embarrassment of riches” being applied to The Fellowship of the Ring in an early review back in 2001 – and certainly that phrase fits here. It’s only a trailer, but man, is it stuffed to the brim! There are even five alternate endings, each offering more laughs and delights.

This second big trailer release gives away SO MUCH of Peter Jackson’s sprawling adaptation, I’m left wondering why the Bag End kitchen sink wasn’t thrown in as well…

But actually there’s quite a bit missing.

There’s much more in the nooks and crannies of this filmic Middle-earth and P.J. knows it… he’s just serving up a first appetizer here. But I can’t forget Gandalf’s words: “Many folk like to know beforehand what is to be set on the table; but those who have laboured to prepare the feast like to keep their secret; for wonder makes the words of praise louder.”

Here is our grand list of the TOP 25 MISSING THINGS we *really* wanted to see in the trailer but did not:

1. First and foremost we all missed Howard Shore’s score. Without his music, I was left with an even stronger desire to hear new themes and motifs around these beloved characters. Will Thorin have his own theme like Isildur did, becoming an iconic tune for the entire new Trilogy?
  2. Items that clearly connect father/son Gloin/Gimli. It would help connect the characters in a very real way to see specific weapons or an article of clothing perhaps that is distinctly a father & son shared item.
  3. Anything from Mirkwood Elves/Thranduil’s kingdom or his relatives. Nope, no Orlando Bloom to be seen here, nor the lovely Evangeline Lilly as new character Tauriel. These characters are victims of the shift from two up to three movies, and the editing of the whole narrative has shifted them to Film 2.
  4. The Rivendell Elves singing/ performing (featured appearance by Figwit). I’m a fan of Flight of the Conchords, but not as much as a fan of Brett McKenzie’s genius songwriting for The Muppets. I suppose someone might have seen him in the background somewhere but I just want to see him pull out the lyre and *sing*.
  5. Saruman — where the heck is he?  Nothing is shown of the White Council, and I miss my nefarious White Wizard.
  6. The Key that goes with that remarkable Dwarven Map. I just want to check out the cool design WETA has come up with.
  7. Any fleck of fire or flame from Smaug. The infamous dragon is not in evidence besides his name being mentioned. Since his is the prime threat and the motivation for Thorin & Company, it would’ve been very appropriate to see just a tail swooshing or a shadow across the moon perhaps.
  8. The Morgul Blade that purist fans have been chittering about (such a deviation from Tolkien, gasp!). It was shown full-on at San Diego Comic-Con, but here we don’t even get a glimpse.
  9. The Sackville-Bagginses, anyone? You know they want Bilbo’s furniture as badly as Thorin wants that Arkenstone.
  10. Glamdring gets named yet does not glow…  Orcrist is particularly glorious as we see Thorin running through that wide shot across the wilderness.  But no glowing!  We would’ve really loved to see them both glow, but it seems P.J. will never show Glamdring with the same properties as Sting.
  11. Some Great Goblin dialogue, because we see only his collapsing carcass! What does Barrie Humphries *sound* like??
  12. A young Aragorn traipsing around Rivendell. Would he be introduced by Elrond to Bilbo (and thus the audience) — or would we just see him in a lingering shot in the background?
  13. Thorin & Company walking past Weathertop (aerial footage). I figured we wouldn’t get the chance to revisit Bree, but I thought it would be exceptionally neat (and good for continuity) to show them marching past Amon Sul.
  14. The glimmer of Dwarf-gold, perhaps a fuller shot of the dragon horde, maybe even a glimpse of the Arkenstone. We need to understand the Dwarves’ motivations, don’t we? A shot of the ultimate goal would do wonders for helping us understand the burning passion of Thorin’s heart.
  15. Gandalf marking Bilbo’s door with that familiar “G” rune. “I just had that painted!”
  16. Hearing the Trolls actually speak.  I love their dialogue — it’s terrifically funny and I’ve heard plenty of it before with the SDCC footage, too bad we don’t hear them in this trailer.
  17. I know it’s one of those stranger bits that makes “The Hobbit” different from “LOTR” in tone, but what about the Troll’s talking purse?  Will it really say: “Ere, who are you?”
  18. The glowing Moon Letters.  Even though that glass table is very Fortress of Solitude, we missed seeing the secret message that’s on the map.
  19. Bilbo’s hand accidentally groping and finding the Ring in the dark. We remember it so well from the prologue of Fellowship. An iconic moment indeed.
  20. More of the giant spiders! Only one leg busting through the roof of Rhosgobel was not enough.
  21. Gandalf coincidentally meeting Thorin in Bree. Well, that would be our one-stop jaunt to the Prancing Pony…
  22. Someone ordering “Cold chicken and pickles!” makes me laugh every time. Hearing this makes Bilbo feel even more like a flustered short-order cook stuck in a 1940’s roadside diner.
  23. We want to see the Gaffer working in Bilbo’s garden. Even if it’s just a “Howdy, Gaffer! How are the taters doing today?” from out the window.
  24. “Struck by lightning!  Struck by lightning!” Wouldn’t it be a hoot if the head-butting Howdy was done to Bilbo and he cried this out… or “WHITE LIGHT!  WHITE LIGHT” like Orlando cried out remembering when Sala Baker head-butted him at Viggo’s encouragement.  ou know that’s where the Dwarves’ head-butt comes from 😉
  25. Peter Jackson’s cameo!  Wouldn’t that have been hysterical if we saw and recognized P.J. in the trailer?!

——————————————————————————
So as you can see, our appetite for this stuff is boundless.  Our imaginations have been fueled by the wonderful material we have already seen.  As with any good marketing piece, this trailer does the heavy lifting of delivering story, purpose, characterizations, and leaves us wanting more.

Certainly, December 14th, cannot get here fast enough.

Much too hasty,
Quickbeam
(with the able assistance of many TORn staffers….)

Follow Cliff Broadway “Quickbeam” on Twitter @quickbeam2000

Posted in Uncategorized on September 26, 2012 by

The Floor Plan from WETA Workshop

27 responses to “MANY MISSING THINGS: Top 25 Gems Absent from the Trailer!”

1. heydoo says:

Yes these all would of been cool to see, but you know how PJ only wants to reveal so much….

2. Marandhir says:

Get “The Hobbit Annual” – a lot of things, like Saruman or the Key or Gimli/Glóin’s shared axes, are in that book.

3. Wow, I’m dissapointed! In #1 the author says “Will Thorin have his own theme like Isildur did?” Actually Isildur did not have his own theme. The music they’re probably thinking of is the “History of the Ring Theme” as per Doug Adams’ wonderful book about the music of the LOTR trilogy. Sheesh guys 🙂

4. utecougar says:

You only have so much time in a two-minute trailer. You can’t possibly show the whole movie, or even parts of it. Nothing is “missing” from the trailer. If things are “missing” from the movie, then complain.

5. Babbington says:

Why would Glamdring have glowed in that scene? I don’t think there were any orcs or goblins around…

6. Bethany says:

Can someone clear this up for me? In the new trailer (the “Sting moment” ending) is that Bret McKenzie standing on Elrond’s left? I think it looks like him, but I can’t tell for sure…

7. That’s y its the trailer and not the movie.. if they shows u everything u wouldn’t want to watch the movie.. i hate trailers who show u to much. Y watch a Movie when u feel like u have already seen it… i think what they have shown in the trailers is enough… to much and whats the point to go see it..

8. GreatWizard says:

While a nice list of stuff, it’s unreasonable to show most of this in the trailer, Half of it e.g moon letters would count for a spoiler, while the other half is way too esoteric for a trailer (e.g Peter Jackson cameo)

9. Steve says:

To #21- the Gaffer wasn’t Bilbo’s gardener yet, though. He was apprentice to Holman at the time.

10. Tim Fontenot says:

I’ve wondered about most of the 25.What about the eagles?Will we see them drop Bilbo on the Carrock?

11. m_r_murry says:

Two-and-a-half years to see a two-and-a-half hour movie. What a farce.

12. Aragornfan says:

I missed any mention of the Dwarve’s treasure that lay under Smaug as a motivation for the quest. The only motive given in the trailers is nationalistic (recovering the homeland). Now, recovering some of the treasure from the dragon is surely a very difficult and dangerous task for which a burglar, i.e. Bilbo, may be best suited. Recovering Erebor, however, means defeating the dragon – a seemingly impossible task for 13 Dwarves and 1 Hobbit.

13. ed1s says:

Beorn should certainly be on this list! If the Mirkwood Elves are victims of the trilogy shift but the Five Fir Trees is not then Beorn must be right on the line somewhere. I was surprised that the trailer didn’t including anything from his home or at least bear-shaped silhouettes in the moonlight etc. Does this suggest that the first film will end Gwahir leaves the Company at the Carrock?

14. brokenmandible says:

Beorn?!

15. Eruceninde says:

Something yall “missed” is Beorn. No sight of him either.

16. dave henrie says:

@Tim: The eagles were shown in shadow as Thorin swayed in a tree. And @ Murray: 3 movies will surely equal 6+ hours not 2.5. (and then probably 8 to 9 for the extended Dvd versions) If you prefer shorter movies, then the Rankin Bass cartoon is available.

17. Paul H Ayres says:

A lot of the stuff mentioned in this list are things that would be in the latter movies. Why have a trailer that spans multiple movies? That just doesn’t make sense.

18. Jorge Lucano says:

the hand that pics the ring in the prologue is not Bilbo’s it is Deagol

19. joe says:

I think all these things will be in the movie or pushed to film 2

20. Jonny says:

I don’t think we should see smaug until we see the film, then we get the same feeling as bilbo

21. Charity says:

… some of the Elves are shoved back into film 2? Aw, man, I’m bummed!

22. I think they should’ve made the trailer more of “The Hobbit” children’s story. The Hobbit wasn’t really part of the Middle-earth trilogy at first, and has more of a child’s plot. Dwarves coming to Bilbo because he’s a “Burglar that’s looking for a job, adventure and good pay”. I would like the trailer a lot if PJ included the main thing of the book, such as the unexpected party, the trolls, going throught the Misty Mountains, the Eagles!, Beorn, Mirkwood, the spiders, elves in the Mirkwood, the Laketown, Smaug and the battle of Five Armies!!!

By the way, what I think of the trailer/ movie;I’m not sure if I’ll like how Galdriel is there. As I’ve mentioned, “The Hobbit” didn’t include or connect to any other Middle-earth book (well, except for Lord of the Rings). I also don’t really like how Radagast is portraited. He is an Istari, and I kind of expected him to look more like Gandalf. Oh, well, PJ made LOTR for us, and I was impressed, so I think he knows what he is doing.

23. you’ve missed the eagles, and I would be happy to see the Battle of Five Armies. But I totally agree with some points.

24. Michael Freeman says:

I had read that Tolkien wanted to revise The Hobbit to be more connected to the Middle Earth of LOTR, and to its overall story. The additional references to the Hobbit story found in the appendices of LOTR demonstrate this. I recently re-read the Hobbit (before that I had only read it as a young kid), and it struck me how there were definitely differences, but it would only take some minor tweaking to bring it in line with LOTR. Plus, there has to be a better explanation for Gandalf’s constantly leaving the group through most of the story than “business”. I think PJ will do a great job with this, bringing the two stories together, in a way that Tolkien would approve of and wanted.

25. Michael Freeman says:

I think he’s referring to the scene where we see Bilbo crawling on the cave floor, picks the ring off the floor (he says, “a ring!”), followed by screams from Gollum while Bilbo shoves it into his pocket.