TheOneRing.net: Collecting The Precious – Weta Workshop’s Witch-king & Frodo at Weathertop https://t.co/NXZ81l5tDw

TheOneRing.net: We have a confirmation for SDCC: Rohan will NOT answer this year. https://t.co/F1ohFGgsUP

TheOneRing.net: Faramir's men wearing masks since the third age. https://t.co/1C617ExGJm

Evangeline Lilly: “Tauriel Is A Warrior”

January 25, 2012 at 11:09 am by DiveTwin  -

Entertainment Weekly’s John Young recently caught up with Evangeline Lilly to discuss “Real Steel” which has arrived on Blu-Ray and DVD.  While there are many fans of that movie, Tolkien devotees want to hear more about her upcoming role in The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.

EW turned the conversation to that very topic and asked if her new character Tauriel would be a type of elf warrior, which Lilly confirmed.  “Yes, she is a warrior. She’s actually the head of the Elven guard. She’s the big shot in the army. So she knows how to wield any weapon, but the primary weapons that she uses are a bow and arrow and two daggers. And she’s lethal and deadly. You definitely wouldn’t want to be caught in a dark alley next to Tauriel.”

Lilly went on to say her role has expanded from her original expectation and has only a small part at the end of the first Hobbit film, leaving the bulk of her participation for 2013’s The Hobbit: There And Back Again.  However, she could not confirm any involvement in the Battle of Five Armies, a highlight fans are looking forward to in the second film.  She did mentioned a return to New Zealand for five more months of filming.

You can read the entire article here at Entertainment Weekly.  And I know TORN fans will be discussing this on the message boards!

Posted in Evangeline Lilly, Hobbit Movie, The Hobbit, Uncategorized on January 25, 2012 by Source: Entertainment Weekly Evangeline Lilly: “Tauriel Is A Warrior” | Discuss
Order the Gollum Enraged - Click Here

26 responses to “Evangeline Lilly: “Tauriel Is A Warrior””

1. Fuzznarf says:

Not sure how I feel about this…. :/

2. Daniel James says:

She sounds like quite the character! I wonder if she and Legolas are related…

3. Joblow says:

Really?? They tried to pull this stuff with Arwen in LOTR and it didn’t work. Why does Phillipa Boyens keep trying to force an elf warrior princess on us? It’s not in the book, and it isn’t needed for the story. Do they really think they need a hot female elf warrior in order to please the masses? If they want something like that then they should just go and make a Xena: Warrior Princess movie, and leave Tolkien’s works alone!

4. Joblow says:

5. Sword_slinger says:

oooh interesting….not sure how i feel about this…shame she’s going to use a bow and daggers…same as legolas…

Of course Tauriel will be in The Battle of Five Armies! Why else would they make her a warrior?

7. willowing says:

The news is great. So now her role is definitely confirmed as  awarrior character, a leader of the elven guard. Which must mean she is either part of Thranduil’s elite guard or the elven army.

8. willowing says:

9. Kuesto says:

Great news!!!!i relly like the idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Go Tauriel!!!!!No mercy for the orcs!!!!!!

The idea of a female warrior is not strange in Tolkienverse, considering Haleth and Éowyn and ruling queens such as Ancalimë, though all were considered humans.But yes, there are some powerful females within Elves as well. Galadriel has even been actively as a part of a battle, as we very well might notice if the attack on Dol Guldur is shown correctly.  Even Lúthien used a same kind of skill when freeing the prisoners of Morgoth.

11. Brian Bowles says:

This pretty much tells us that the first movie will get into Mirkwood at least.  I’m guessing that it will end with them getting captured, most likely by Turiel.

12. Sad-fan says:

Yeesh. What’s so special about Eowyn if you toss in warrior-women at every turn? I wonder who’s responsible….

13. Sad-fan says:

14. Enna says:

I think this will be cool!!!!! Go Peter Jackson!!!!!

15. Enna says:

On the other hand, I hope that Turiel is not too much like Legolas. I like what I have heard about her so far but I guess you never know. I will just have to wait and see!

16. Enna says:

17. Alexsa_deep says:

I really hope they wont going give her a greater (fighting) role as other elves – just to try to make us girls happy! A female character doesnt have to be fighting the whole time to be strong and worth mentioning! sure as somebody already said they tried to make the warrior work for arwen in the lord of the rings and that didnt work either, so why try to force that on every female? sure it would be great to see her fighting but seeing a women as a guard leader, that doesnt sound quiet right like she is more powerful like for example Legolas.
    and her fighting style sounds like a rip-off from Legolas fighting style.

18. Alexsa_deep says:

and her fighting style sounds like a rip-off from Legolas fighting style.

19. lizzy says:

I think I find the idea of a female warrior in the hobbit a little more easy to swallow now that they’ve cast an adult actress in the role. When they originally cast a teen actress as ‘Itaril’, I was afraid it meant the movie was catering for Twilight fans.

20. GoggleGeek says:

Hold on, if she’s the leader of the elven guard she’s going to get drunk and Bilbo’s going to pick pocket her. yeah?

21. Enna says:

Dude come on! I know what you mean but that is not really the image all us fans want in our heads!

22. I understand the desire to have more strong female roles in this….but come on, don’t mess with an already perfect story! I really hope she doesn’t ruin this.

23. Displeased says:

This is horrible! Stop adding characters! Besides that, the poor woman can’t act (ever seen LOST?).

24. An Obviously Horrible Person says:

If she’s in the Battle of the Five Armies, I hope she dies. Not an epic death, but a discreet, quick death – the kind during which the body gets lost with the other dead of war, and nobody is horrified or mournful in slow-motion because they’re too busy fighting, and making sure that their battle is won. I hope that her death occurs precisely forty-five seconds into the battle, and no one can see it amidst all the fighting. I hope the death isn’t found out until after the carnage is cleaned up that her body is found. . . And, by then, the reaction is similar to, “Oh, well, that’s really too bad. Guess she’s not a prisoner of war, eh? Put the body with the others, will you? We’ve got a lot of work to do, and it’s nearly dark out. . .”