TheOneRing.net: Smarter minds could probably do a whole tweet thread on Tolkien's exploration of sexuality in the Second Age, and h… https://t.co/CHdDx2Vlk8

TheOneRing.net: Executives at New Line Cinema, Weta Workshop & Weta Digital attribute the success of the LOTR films to hiring passi… https://t.co/7ujoRatlZH

TheOneRing.net: We are starting to see casting calls for actors "comfortable with nudity" AMAZON DON'T DO IT DO NOT! This isn't… https://t.co/OimxiDDhGO

Lilly talks Tauriel… in Elvish!

October 3, 2011 at 6:23 pm by Demosthenes  -

Access Hollywood recently spoke to Evangeline Lilly, and touched on her role as the woodland elf Tauriel in the current production of The Hobbit. Revealingly, she provided a couple of lines of elvish (presumably Sindarin, but I’m no Tolkien language scholar) — which finally give us some tantalising clues about where the Tauriel character slots into Tolkien’s story.

She also indicated she was being extensively coached in English Received Pronunciation — same as the elves of Rivendell in Lord of the Rings. “I have a dialect coach, I have a motion coach, I have a language coach,” she said. “So I should, by rights, be great in this film!

Check out the clip at CraveOnline, and then give us your thoughts on what it all might mean on our forums or on our live chat!

Evangeline Lilly speaks Elvish!

Posted in Evangeline Lilly, Hobbit Movie, The Hobbit on October 3, 2011 by

The One Ring

16 responses to “Lilly talks Tauriel… in Elvish!”

1. Linda Turner says:

Keep trying,  We still don’t want  you.

2. Schmuck says:

Yawn, you will deliver a dead pan boring performance like the rest of the elves.  Bring on some drarves and hobbits please

3. skiti detdu says:

the rest of the elves minus elrond.

4. bowen says:

you guys are harsh – give her a shot, she’s a purist.

5. Catherine Leslie-Faye says:

She sounds like she will do fine in the Hobbit. I wonder what her clothes will look like?

6. Josh says:

If the Tauriel character turns out to be bad the anger should be directed toward the writers, not Lilly who is perfect for an elf.

7. John Lody says:

So many Tolkien fans are ignorant about the difference between a faithful adaptation and a slavish transfer of a story from one medium to another. Peter Jackson, as a consummate film director and artist in his own medium, must be allowed adequate license to create his own vision of The Hobbit, just as he created his own vision of LOTR. Film is not print, and it requires a varied approach to be effective. If the inclusion of a female character is deemed desirable by the director, then that’s the way it has to be. The old adage holds true for film adaptations, even of sacred literary cows like The Hobbit and LOTR; you can’t make an omelet without breaking a few eggs!

Do you people even remember how long it took us all to get to the point where we even had anyone willing to do a serious film of LOTR? Stop carping about your own darling LOTR “principles”, already! Be thankful we have an adaptation that is helmed by someone who actually gets it!

Breaking News: Some people do like to see attractive females in films! Get over it!

8. John Lody says:

9. John Lody says:

I agree. I doubt she will be bad, anyway.

10. John Lody says:

Well put!

11. John Lody says:

Some of us do. I’m intrigued to see what they do with her character. The Hobbit is a big enough epic to carry the load of one additional winsome nymphette like Tauriel, me thinks.

12. William says:

Sorry, you can call me an elitist/purest/whatever. Adding a new character to the story that invented modern fantasy in an attempt to appeal to different groups is just plain dirty to me. I can understand the lack of a leading female may be a turn off to some casual spectators (though I didn’t hear many complaints about the lack of women fighting in 300), but seriously, I think this is going a bit too far. It’s one thing to omit nonessential characters like Tom Bombadil when adapting a book to film, it’s a whole other thing to change the story. Nothing against the actress, I’m just sure the writers are going to cheese it up to make her seem like an exciting character. RETCONNN GOOOOOO.

13. William says:

14. William says:

A self-proclaimed purist playing a made up character in a movie adaption of one of the greatest fantasy novels ever written. Basically translates into: She’s a hypocrite.