TheOneRing.net: In two years time, Lord of the Rings will be the Schitts Creek of #Emmys

TheOneRing.net: This week’s LOTR homework is to watch THE IMPOSSIBLE streaming free on @tubi with Tom Holland, Naomi Watts, Ewan Ma… https://t.co/z9RrFRzGx9

TheOneRing.net: Tolkien trending in Brazil in part because of the false idea that LOTR is a Scandinavian white story. Laughable at… https://t.co/WbU36eHiAa

Of Saoirse Ronan… and Itaril

January 20, 2011 at 6:15 am by Earl  -

Ever since a “casting call” for The Hobbit found its way on to the internet back in January 2010, fans have been wondering much concerning the role of the Elf-maiden (or alternately, Elf warrior-wench!) who’ll supposedly go by the name of Itaril and fall in love with with a young Elf-lord.

It wasn’t long before fans began speculating the casting for the role and, subsequently, Saoirse Ronan got linked to it. But much fun as the speculation was (and is), neither the rumoured role nor the rumoured casting choice have gone down well with many fans. And whether or not the rumours had a ring of truth to them was anyone’s guess.

Come January 2011 and the media has finally gotten to catching up with Saoirse Ronan and asking her directly concerning the possibility of her being cast in the upcoming films. From RTE.ie:

The Oscar-nominated Irish actress is strongly rumoured to be in talks to play the character Itaril in the films, but she did not reveal any further details at the launch of the IFTAs in Dublin yesterday.

When asked if she would like to play the role, she replied: “Yeah if I was asked, certainly.”

Her father Paul said that it would be great if she landed the Hobbit part, but did not say if she had been asked.

He told journalists: “It would be something that would be wonderful if it happens. I don’t think all of the cast members have been chosen or asked yet because it’s going to be such a long project.

“It’s going to take a long time. She worked with Peter on ‘The Lovely Bones’. After a couple of weeks with working with Peter it’s like being part of his family.

“It would be wonderful to see them all again and to work with them again.”

As always, here’s a friendly invitation to join the discussion and speculation on our message boards.

Posted in Casting Rumors, Characters, Hobbit Movie, Saoirse Ronan, The Hobbit on January 20, 2011 by Source: RTE.ie Of Saoirse Ronan… and Itaril | Discuss
Daggers of Tauriel

33 responses to “Of Saoirse Ronan… and Itaril”

1. Tauriel says:

Oh God… Is this the “obligatory female role”? Because as far as I remember, there are no visible female roles in the Hobbit, apart from Lobelia Sackville-Baggins, who appears at the end, and (from the extended storyline) Galadriel, who participates in the White Council’s chasing Sauron out of Dol Guldur.

2. Tauriel says:

3. Gilnarian says:

I can see adding scenes for expanding the two films – such as the White Council. An addition like that is based on the books. Adding characters that don’t exist in the books is unacceptable. Making existing characters do things that don’t have any basis in the books is unacceptable – like Arwen going to Helm’s Deep. You’d think they’d have learned that from the last go around. I trust Peter Jackson to honor the story line though so hopefully this is all a big rumor.

4. Peregrintook310 says:

This is NOT good news -_-. Hopefully Peter and his team will see all the negative comments that are sprouting about this, all over the internet. That’s how he took out Arwen from Helm’s Deep; due to the fact that a huge uproar was cast ALL over the internet.

I am a female, and while I enjoy seeing a female kick some right, nice ass (we have Eowyn for that…), I don’t approve of tarnishing Tolkien’s works.

I think sticking to the plot works. I can take a few plot changes here and there, but seeing the book come to life on film, is a joyous experience for me. And I know it is for other’s as well.

Putting some random, non-Tolkien character into an already written plot, is just going to hurt it. The characters are set. Unless it was a new orc, or an elf warrior that didn’t get THAT involved with the plot line, then I think that’s fine.

But a love interest??? REALLY?? We don’t ALWAYS need full-on romance in a story. Especially since The Hobbit is a children’s classic. It was never meant to appease feminists or Danielle Steel enthusiasts.

It’s a fun adventure, and let’s try to leave it at that. And as for the so-called “second movie”…a throw back to Beren and Luthien would be nice, but like the rumors going around that David Tennant should be Thranduil (DOUBLE GROSS), I don’t see this girl holding up as a withstand-able Luthien.

5. Steph Nidd says:

Hang on.. to my knowledge there never was a role like this in the Hobbit in the first place. It seems theyre making a messs of this before theyve even started =/

6. TheGreenWood says:

It’s one thing to fit in characters and scenes from the appendices, but to create your own character and cram it into the Hobbit is not only foolish, but it smacks of a massively bloated ego. I thought that Jackson respected Tolkien’s work, but I must have been wrong. What a load of rubbish!

7. Straelbora says:

I know that Peter Jackson used, among other things, the One Ring, to get a sense of fans’ feelings toward certain info about the Lord of the Rings films. If so, then I hope he takes to heart what should prove to be an overwhelmingly negative reaction to introducing a ‘love interest’ Elven princess character to The Hobbit. Gods! The Lord of the Rings films were great, but every time they grated was introduction of crap like this.

8. Serai says:

Oh goody! Another chance for purists to get all up in high dudgeon over something that 1) is just a rumor at this point and 2) even if not a rumor, is not likely to end up in the finished film anyway. Didn’t anybody learn anything with the trilogy? Ah, I forget – getting all huffy and offended is half the fun.

9. Elle says:

I love Saoirse, but a random female role just for the sake of political correctness just stinks of studio profiling, just like Arwen at Helms Deep, or the fear of showing Gandalf or the hobbits smoking too much. These movies will have no problem attracting their target audience without that. Besides, we’ll have Galadriel, and she’s more than enough warrior elf woman to appease this female Tolkien fan.

10. Elle says:

11. MJB says:

This is an unworthy rumor with no basis in reality. Just consider when the rumor originated: Jan 2010? Scripts hadn’t even been delivered to the studio yet, there had been no casting contacts at that time. A joke like this should have been saved for April 1. It’s truly intriguing how many people are ready to go off half-cocked over a report with no credibility… so calm down, folks, nobody needs to “set Peter Jackson straight”, he’s not inventing a bunch of roles to shoe-horn every actor he’s ever worked with into ‘The Hobbit’.
    The story looks to me like it was cooked-up by some “self-proclaimed purist” for the purpose of slinging mud at Jackson and his movies.

12. MJB says:

13. Oh please. Get over it folks. It’s not like the addition of “Lurtz” spoiled anything. Trust Peter.

14. Oh please. Get over it folks. It’s not like the addition of “Lurtz” spoiled anything. Trust Peter.

15. Home School says:

who the heck is this?????!!!!!!!!!!!! theres no such person in the Hobbit and there shouldn’t be now. the Hobbit does NOT need girls!!!!!!! if she gets cast(God forbid) all we need to do is to get miley cyrus and brad pitt to come to our Middle Earth!!!!!!!!! fake love story????????!!!! LEAVE IT OUT!!!!!!!!!

16. Home School says:

17. Jcaesar44 says:

This cannot happen. The Hobbit doesn’t need an romance. I’m afraid PJ’s gotten a big head this time around. He need’s to remember that his talent and dedication as a director, and his crew’s dedication, were very important in making the Lord of the Rings a good movie, but it wasn’t the main thing. What made the movies so good was that they were based on one of the greatest and most beloved books of all times. The same goes with the Hobbit. Its already a successful book (is it not?) son why does it need embellished on? I have a great amount of respect for Peter Jackson, but he must remember who the author and who the director are. Tolkien wrote magnificent books. Just make them into a movie. Don’t try to improve them.

Agreed. Why turn this into bad fan-fiction when we’ll see Galadriel anyway?

19. Andrea says:

I’m a girl and I’m all for strong female characters in movies… HOWEVER, there were no female characters in “The Hobbit”, and so there shouldn’t be in the films.

There is no reason to add a girl. Maybe they think it will attract women viewers, but… women who loved the LOTR books and movies will still come to watch The Hobbit. Many fans of Tolkien’s works are women despite the lack of female representation and we will still watch the movie if there are no female characters.

I’ve been a Tolkien fan since I learned to read as a little kid. It never really bothered me that there weren’t many females in LOTR, and it never bothered me that there weren’t any in The Hobbit. What WILL bother me is including a character that didn’t exist in the books just because.

20. pip says:

Get over it people.

21. Brian says:

The more I read about making the Hobbit into a movie the more I am convinced that Jackson & co. is going to “F” this movie up! There was no damned female elf worrier in the damn story!

22. Jason says:

It doresn’t seem that far fetched to me, as long as they make it as minor a sub-plot as possible. I mean, you know there were other elves in Thranduil’s halls besides the specific names mentioned in the story, and more than likely a few elf maidens. Imagine if Middle Earth were only populated by the characters Tolkein specifically menioned by name, what a sparse world it would be.

23. MJB says:

… and there won’t be one in the movie either.

Don’t make yourself miserable over unsubstantiated rumors. Enough bad things already happen in an average day without people making up hoaxes to be upset about, so why do that?

Jackson does not have Barrie Osbourne and Mark Ordesky on his back this time, handing down “socio-political directives” from the studio… academy-award-winning director/producers like PJ have more clout than that. Until I hear it from Jackson himself, it’s not in the movie. This kind of Vomit is all coming straight from the people who are still mad about “non-canonical” scenes in Pete’s LotR movies.

Absolutely No Reason To Believe This Rumor

24. Dwight says:

Calm down everyone! It’s a rumor!! It’s not real!

25. even if they were to add the role of itaril, she’s not the one who can play an elf, she’s ugly and looks like a ten years old… i suppose if they want a romantic story they should add how aragorn and arwen met, i think they met sometime during hobbit if my counting is accurate

26. Innin says:

There is a sufficient Sindarin corpus to construct beautiful names, why do they have to go about and steal a name from Tolkien’s works that doesn’t a) fit Elvish naming customs (it’s taken! by Idril of Gondolin no less!) and b) doesn’t work for a Mirkwood Elf’s linguistic background (it’s Q(u)enya!)?

Every fanfic writer’s beta worth their research would point that out, and in the official productions they go tossing the rules overboard – I am disappoint. The idea of a female elf warrior is not terrible, though. Just don’t make it a Legolas romance.

27. pip says:

I would like to see a photo of you Nicole. Judge whether you’re ugly.

so now it’s confirmed that saoirse will have the part of the hobbit movie..I wonder if they will stick her to ” itaril role”..for me I don’t have against to her role as itaril elven warrior, as long as they don’t get her involve in a romance and make it like arwen and aragorn love story like in LOTR…and worst with Legolas..( for me ) he’s another story..like if you are gonna base him as a book legolas is another book…I am LOTR movie fan and I love that movie..and still watching it, still thinking how they will come up adding new role in the connection of the trilogy LOTR..I think instead making a new charter for the introduction of the hobbit movie to the LOTR..instead make saoirse the young arwen..I am pretty sure arwen already exist in that time..like how arwen and aragorn met..for me it will be the something really good to see for us people who love the LOTR movie fans.

29. Linhiril says:

Not Quenya, likely, unless you believe and maintain the very early inventive link between Noldor and Nandor that Tolkien later abandoned completely.

30. Asdlfkjasldfkj says:

Peter Jackson… you are the man, i love you, the whole world loves you… thank you for bringing the Lord of the Rings to life for us, it was a masterpiece, EVEN THOUGH you added a little too much of your own spice into the LotR stew, it was still great. BUT PLEASE… this is truly not necessary, lets stay as loyal to Tolkein’s work as possible. The Hobbit is as complete of a book as it can get, no more is needed. Good luck with the movie, your fans are all anxious and excited!!

31. Paige Grogan says:

I wouldn’t say it was for ‘political correctness’, and neither would I say adding this role is unacceptable. The Hobbit is a fantastic book, Tolkien was a wonderful writer, however a film and a novel are two completely different mediums of storytelling. Not every aspect of The Hobbit is suitable (or to many audiences, interesting enough) to spend three hours watching, and I think that a minor ‘love’ plot embedded within The Hobbit is the kind of relief needed from the epic depth of the main plot, as the film is NOT just for fans of the books, but for everyone. In some ways, the film and the book do need to be independent of one another, and let’s face it: this MINOR female role will not hinder or damage the integrity of The Hobbit. Let’s just be thankful that Peter Jackson casts well, and we’re not ending up with someone like Miley Cyrus: Saoirse Ronan is a wonderful, believable actress, and we’d be lucky to have her. Get a grip, guys! 🙂

32. Paige Grogan says: