Get your tickets to Tolkien today!
Join us in our 24 Hour Chatroom!
Get your tickets to Tolkien today!
Join us on Instagram

Latest Tweets

  1. TheOneRing.net
    TheOneRing.net: Collecting The Precious – Elessar’s Collection Update 2020 https://t.co/Czmi576EyA https://t.co/kkK9QQvd8w

  2. TheOneRing.net
    TheOneRing.net: Looks like Dominic Monaghan is playing D&D tonight! Check out @DomsWildThings over on le twitch https://t.co/JiiIQmLC4k

  3. TheOneRing.net
    TheOneRing.net: CONFIRMED: Cinematographer Óscar Faura joins Amazon's @LOTRonPrime show, worked on Imitation Game + all @filmbayonahttps://t.co/Sp74Q12W4q

News Alerts

Get emailed with every new post!

MGM Creditors Approve Spyglass Deal

October 30, 2010 at 10:25 am by Altaira  - 

MGM Creditors have overwhelmingly approved a deal put on the table by Spyglass in September. MGM will now enter Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings and will emerge with Spyglass heads Gary Barber and Roger Birnbaum at the helm in return for a rumored 5% share of MGM. The remaining 95% will go to the creditors who will swap almost $4 billion in debt for equity ownership in the legendary studio, estimated to now be worth just under $2 billion. The deal puts up a major road block to the plans of Carl Ichan and Lions Gate, who entered a last minute offer to merge with MGM. However, according to Reuters, experts say the activist shareholder could still challenge the deal in bankruptcy court, and an eventual partnership between MGM and Lions Gate remains possible.

Of course, the primary question we’re all interested in is: what does this mean for “The Hobbit”? In this fan’s opinion, the answer is: very little. The movie has been greenlit which means the funds necessary to move forward with production have already been committed. We may never know exactly what shuffling of money and deal-making resulted in those funds becoming available, but. available they are, and the upcoming bankruptcy proceedings shouldn’t come anywhere close to  affecting a revenue-making prospect like a major film in progress. Other than that, MGM will emerge as a healthier, better run, company which can only be good news to Hobbit fans everywhere.

Posted in Hobbit Movie, MGM, Studios, The Hobbit on October 30, 2010 by
Source: Reuters MGM Creditors Approve Spyglass Deal | Discuss

Daggers of Tauriel

One response to “MGM Creditors Approve Spyglass Deal”

  1. nick price says:

    Icahn has agreed to support the MGM-Spyglass plan for the time being, in exchange for the concessions in deal terms and the promise of a seat on the MGM board. But he will continue to press for an eventual merger of MGM and Lionsgate, a well-placed source said.

Leave a Reply