San Francisco Hobbit movie gathering
Date(s) - 14/12/2012
6:00 pm - 10:00 pm
This is a very loose, casual gathering at the historic, independent Balboa Theater on the evening of December, Friday 14th. The theater has yet to designate a movie start time, but we’re aiming for the show that starts between 6:00pm and 8:00pm. There may not even be a line (but, don’t bank on it — I’d get there at least one hour before the movie), for the following reasons:
1)It’s a small theater with limited resources and small screens: there will be no 3-D, no 48 frames per second aspect ratio. In fact, it’s one of the few theaters in San Francisco that still has an actual film (versus digital) projector.
2) Limited parking. It’s Friday evening, and this is “The Hobbit,” after all. The 31 Balboa bus heading West is your best option. The cross street is 37th Avenue.
3) The Balboa Theater is out in the boonies, somewhat near the Cliff House, and Lands End.
4) The Balboa Theater will have had a midnight showing of “The Hobbit” the night before: other Lord of the Rings fans more willing to sacrifice sleep will have gotten their fix
But, there are definitely a few positives as well:
1) Cheap tickets: if I can assure the theater manager that at least 15 people will appear in Middle Earth/ medieval costumes, he’ll only charge costumed attendees $7.50 per ticket (for adults).
2) The widest spacing between theater rows of any theater in San Francisco (it’s REALLY roomy and comfy).
3) You’ll be supporting one of the last independent theaters in San Francisco
4) Really great food: locally made dark chocolate, and popcorn with terrific seasonings/toppings.
After the movie, members of the Shire of Cloondara (my Shire: http://www.cloondara.org), the local Society for Creative Anachronism group, will gather at the Zephyr cafe across the street for mulled wine, beer, and hot chocolate.
If you’re planning to come in costume, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org A.S.A.P., so that we can get the lower $7.50 rate for those in costume (providing we get at least 15 costumed individuals, of course).
See who's attending…
Warning: Could not find direction(s). in /var/www/theonering.net/torwp/wp-content/plugins/posts-to-posts/core/query-user.php on line 15
No one is attending this event yet.