Archive for the ‘LotR Cast News’ Category
Welcome to the latest “Getting to know…” questions that need answering. It’s based on the old Getting to know you threads that I occasionally post on the message boards here on TORn, so those familiar with them will know that the questions can be a little crazy and the answers even crazier.
This month we’re asking questions of our one and only greendragon.
Thanks so much Kirsten for agreeing to take part this month
Posted in Brad Dourif, ComicCon, Conventions, DragonCon, Events, Fans, Hobbit Movie, Lord of the Rings, Meet Ups, Oscar Parties, Press Conferences, Richard Armitage, Sean Astin, The Hobbit, The One Expected Party, TheOneRing.net Community
Want to relive what you saw this afternoon? Reflecting on some of the moments, and trying to remember what was what? Well, don’t forget that, if you missed the Peter Jackson hosted first look at The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, or just want to watch it over again, a modified version will be archived on the Trilogy’s official website www.thehobbit.com/sneak To access the footage, use your UltraViolet code on your copy The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Blu-ray Combo Pack, Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack or 2-Disc Special Edition DVD.
Meanwhile, staffer Rasputin the Evil Balrog shares with us some commentary on the footage:
Posted in Aidan Turner, Billy Boyd, Blu-Ray, Director news, Dominic Monaghan, DVDs, Evangeline Lilly, Events, Hobbit Cast News, Hobbit Movie, Jed Brophy, Lee Pace, LotR Cast News, Luke Evans, Mark Hadlow, Martin Freeman, Merchandise, Orlando Bloom, Other Events, Peter Jackson, Production, Richard Armitage, Stephen Fry, The Hobbit
The countdown, how exciting!
- Live Stream starts now… with Jed Brophy at the Post Production house
- Peter is reading the newspaper
- spoiler alert, it’s great weather on Monday
- Cricket scores shared for the English fans
- Motion capture stage visited, with Azog and another Orc, more fighting with the orcs, including orc archery
- Dam Busters, someone should remake it so Jed can be in it.
- James Bond walk of fame is rather cool
- Pre-vis department, Pre-visualisation (animated sequences)
- I see Smaug poster
- Rather comic version of Smaug on a computer screen (psych)
- the T-Rex with wings look a bit like Pete’s Dragon
- Rivendell library is rather cool looking, even if never used
- Jed loves Goldfinger
- And then we enter the Editing room with Jabez Olssen
- One Million years B.C was the poster over PJ’s bed as a kid
- Now to see editing happening
- Bard is taking the Dwarves and their barrels across the river, in a boat.
- Bilbo – I should never come along, we have a saying in the Shire “never venture east”.
- He seems rather miserable
- “I should never have left Bagend. We have a saying in the Shire, we learn it from birth, Never Venture East.”
- Peter and Jed agree that Aidan is one of the Hot Dwarves (Lisa)
- Jed looks very waterlogged
- We get the final cut – and it’s Bard saying “So Master Hobbit, why did you venture East?”
- Yeah Luke, sends a little message to say hello to the fans. The One Ringer, that’s us!
- Jed teases that Bard is out of the film but Peter says that Bard is one of the cool things about the next film
- Here come the video questions.
- Chris asks about problems with a middle film?
- PJ answers – middle films are complicated, but with multiple story lines different character arcs and plot lines take over.
- Thranduil on his throne, awesome.
- elf troop, with Legolas and Tauriel, fighting orcs
- Laketown and the Master looking smarmy, and his manservant looks a bit like Grima.
- Stephen Fry says he’s taking over from Orlando as the most desirable man in the films
- Stephen sends a video, and mentions that England is decimating NZ in Cricket
- Chinese girls ask questions about Legolas and Orlando and why he was cast and whether or not he’s similar to his Elf
- Orlando sends a video to ask PJ a question – he wants to know what image he is most excited to see onscreen.
- PJ says fans are most excited to see Smaug and Bilbo together and so is he.
- Stephen’s video has been running in the background because he’s so wordy, but he says he has no idea if he’s in the last film
- Marina in Canada – asks about new characters
- PJ answers – Thranduil, Bard (part of the family now), They’ve made Bard like Robin Hood, is he good or bad. And of course, Tauriel is new, a new creation. Yay for her costume, finally getting to really see it.
- Tauriel wears a leather
- Brazilian kids asking questions, call it LOTR and pronounce it as a word
- The kids ask about PJ’s favorite weapons, theirs is Gimli’s and Gloin’s axe.
- PJ loves Theoden’s sword, with the horse motifs.
- And back to London and Stephen Fry’s video still running
- PJ was punishing Stephen about his comments about the NZ Cricket team
- Twitter question about how difficult it is to stay on track or schedule
- They mention the Flood in Nelson as one thing that messed up shooting
- Surprise question with from Stephen Colbert – asks about the Sindar Elves and the Avari elves? PJ says yes about the Elves
- So PJ rags on Stephen Colbert about two different sizes of mugs on his show, and how the quality of the printing on the mugs is poor quality
- Twitter question – does he edit barefoot? Yes, he can be barefoot.
- Lee Pace, woohoo, looking rather fab, as usual. Lee is looking forward to seeing the animosity of Dwarves and Elves in his own halls.
- Twitter question – would Jed like to inflict any dwarf torture on PJ?
- Jed says maybe, but has to say no because he wants to continue to work with him.
- Great story about the Dwarves on the spit, and how Mark Hadlow got sick and asked to take a break and no one heard him. Poor thing
- Billy Boyd sends a video question – In FOTR, they went as far as the Misty Mountains, but he knows in The Hobbit they go further East. Billy wants to know about any new Wildlands.
- PJ answers about Mirkwood, and shows artwork the darkness and foreboding nature of Mirkwood. Misty and mirky and hard to walk through, to be sure.
- Evangeline sends a question – What will Thranduil’s realm be like?
- PJ mentions that Green Screens is why she does not know what the realm looks like. The artwork shows a bridge over a raging river to a structure like Rivendell, but inside the forest. The realm looks like Rivendell and Lorien mixed together, but underground.
- Dom Monaghan asks a question, he is holding the camera himself.
- What is the best PJ rumor you’ve heard that is not true?
- What are you happiest about in transferring book to film?
- PJ answers about the craziest rumor – people asked him if he was going to move his family to a ship off the coast to avoid paying Taxes. He gets too seasick to do that.
- Twitter question – will the Necromancer play a bigger part, and PJ says yes and nothing else.
- Here comes a look at the movie, but the Trailer is not ready yet.
- PJ says that Gandalf goes to see the tombs of the Witch-king
- Gandalf in a cavern, showing a dark doorway that appears to be blown open from within. He then goes inside, and sees a bird flies out of broken stonework, and then sees Radagast. The Nine tombs were broken open from the inside.
- The vlogs will be starting up again, even though this is very much like one.
- Sequence of action from throughout the film concluding with ‘We are the Dwarves of Erebor, we have come to reclaim our homeland’
- Ran for about 55 minutes
Remember, if you missed the Peter Jackson hosted first look at “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug,” or just want to watch it over again, a modified version will be archived on the Trilogy’s official website www.thehobbit.com/sneak. To access the footage, use your UltraViolet code on your copy “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey” Blu-ray Combo Pack, Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack or 2-Disc Special Edition DVD.
Also, be sure to stay tuned to TheOneRing.net for a detailed analysis. Coming soon!
Posted in Billy Boyd, Cast Q&A, Characters, Dominic Monaghan, Evangeline Lilly, Events, Fans, Headlines, Hobbit Book, Hobbit Cast News, Hobbit Movie, Jed Brophy, Lee Pace, Luke Evans, Orlando Bloom, Peter Jackson, Stephen Fry, The Hobbit
Dominic Monaghan’s Wild Things will be screening on ABC2 tonight in Australia at 7.30pm. If you’re not sure what it’s all about:
Wild Things with Dominic Monaghan is a travel-adventure show that explores some of the most remote corners of the globe. This documentary series follows actor Dominic Monaghan (Lost, Lord of the Rings) as he searches for the biggest, baddest and weirdest insects on the planet.
[ABC Synopsis] | [SMH preview]
Posted in Dominic Monaghan
Australian Hobbit fans will finally get a little bit of love in April. A team from Weta, and several folks from the cast of The Hobbit are making the trip across the Tasman to make an appearance at the Supanova Pop Culture Expo in Melbourne and on the Gold Coast, joining Karl Urban (Eomer) and Supanova MC Mark Ferguson (Gil-galad).
Supanova attendees will get the chance to see and listen to:
Graham McTavish – Dwalin. Graham McTavish (born in 1961) is a Scottish actor who has played an impressive array of characters in a slew of Pop cultural franchises. He played the character Warden Ackerman in Red Dwarf in five episodes of series 8. McTavish has also had many supporting roles in British dramas and films such as Casualty, Jekyll, The Bill, Taggart and Sisterhood. Recently, McTavish appeared in the 2011 film The Wicker Tree, Robin Hardy’s sequel to his 1973 film, The Wicker Man. He has had an “Unexpected Journey” to International stardom playing Dwalin (Brother of Balin) the Dwarf in Sir Peter Jackson’s The Hobbit films.
Stephen Hunter – Bombur. Stephen is a New Zealand actor and voice over artist, currently based in Sydney, Australia. His film and Television career started with Ladies Night in 1995 and has continued to include stints on All Saints, Love My Way, Spirited and Rescue: Special Ops. It was announced in 2011 that Stephen was to play the role of Bombur: brother of Bofur and one of the company of 13 dwarves who retake the Lonely Mountain in Sir Peter Jackson’s The Hobbit trilogy. He has since filmed Field Punishment No.1 in the Role of Aussie Bill which will be released in 2013.
Dean O’Gorman – Fili. Dean O’Gorman is a photographer and artist based in New Zealand. He got his start in the television movie, The Rogue Stallion at the age of fourteen, and Raider of the South Seas, both of which were released in 1990. He then won the role of Nurse Harry Martin in the New Zealand soap opera, Shortland Street and has appeared in both Hercules and Xena multiple times. In April 2011 he was cast as Fili the Dwarf in Sir Peter Jackson’s three-part film adaptation of The Hobbit. Kili and his Brother Fili are the youngest dwarves of the 13 and are Thorin Oakenshield’s nephews!
Sylvester McCoy – Radagast (as a Gold Coast exclusive guest). McCoy was starring at the National Theatre in “The Pied Piper”, a musical play written especially for him, when he learned that the BBC was looking for a new lead actor to replace Colin Baker in “Doctor Who” (1963). He later won the role as the seventh Doctor. Following “Doctor Who,” McCoy continues to work extensively in theatre, radio, opera, television and films. McCoy can be seen in the latest blockbuster film The Hobbit (as Radagast the Brown) and can still be heard playing the Doctor in the Big Finish audio productions of Doctor Who.
The dates for Supanova are:
- Melbourne – April 12-14 at Melbourne Showgrounds
- Gold Coast – April 19-21 at Gold Coast Convention and Exhibition Centre
You can find out more and buy tickets here.
Posted in Conventions, Dean O'Gorman, Events, Graham McTavish, Hobbit Movie, Karl Urban, Stephen Hunter, Sylvester McCoy, The Hobbit, WETA Digital, WETA Workshop
We all know that Dominic Monaghan is a lover of all kinds of creatures, as shown in his latest television show, Wild Things. He’s now lending his support, along with that of many other celebrities, to the Sumatran Orangutan Society and their Jungle VIP auction.
The auction, which runs until Sunday 10th March, includes various items signed by Monaghan and Middle-earth costar Billy Boyd, such as a Lord of the Rings Trilogy Blu-ray. Other stars supporting the auction include Coldplay, Natalie Portman and Gillian Anderson.
If you’re interested, you can check out the auction here.
Posted in Billy Boyd, Blu-Ray, Dominic Monaghan, Lord of the Rings, LotR Cast News, LotR Movies, Merchandise
Ringer Amadine tells us that Billy Boyd’s alt-rock outfit Beecake are playing a fundraiser in support of the Scottish Association for Mental Health in Glasgow at the Art School on Saturday April 20, 2013.
If you’e in the vicinity, get along and support a worthy cause and catch some great music too!
[Event page] | [Ticket sales]
Posted in Billy Boyd, Concerts, Events
Billy Boyd’s alt-rock outfit Beecake headlined The One Expected Party the other night in Los Angeles. Boyd, performing with bandmates Billy (BJ) Johnston, Paul Burke, Rick Martin and David McAulay, entertained hundreds with a delightful set of rock and revelry. As well as performing songs such as Soul Swimming and Radio, the band was joined on stage by our own staffer greendragon, and Dominic Monaghan — who pulled no punches in exhorting the crowd to get up and dance. Click the photo below to check out our photo gallery!
Posted in Billy Boyd, Dominic Monaghan, Events, Oscar Parties, The One Expected Party
Whew! After a party like that we all needed a couple of days’ rest! Fresh after their stunning performance at our special Hobbit Oscar night, THE ONE EXPECTED PARTY, the magical musical darlings known as Beecake will join us *live* on our chat show TORn TUESDAY in just a few minutes! We are very glad to have Billy Boyd, Billy Johnston, Paul Burke, and Rick Martin join us at the Meltdown Comics Vault, from where we broadcast our live streaming video show every Tuesday at 5pm Pacific Time. Hosted by your congenial M.C. and TORn Staffer Clifford ‘Quickbeam’ Broadway, you can participate with the live chat by coming into our Barliman’s Chat Room that is built-in to our Live Event Page here. Bring your questions and your mischeif! THE SHOW IS ABOUT TO BEGIN! You can follow the exploits of Billy and Beecake on Twitter @OfficialBeecake and follow Cliff @Quickbeam2000
Posted in Barlimans, Billy Boyd, Concerts, Events, Fans, Headlines, Lord of the Rings, LotR Cast News, Oscar Parties, The One Expected Party, TheOneRing.net Community, TORn TUESDAYS Live!
So you’re in LA for The One Expected Party; you’re going to An Unexpected Art Show on Friday night; you’re spending Saturday afternoon at the pub with fellow fans, old friends and new; but come Saturday night, on ‘Oscars Eve’, you still want to party. Where are you going to go?
The answer is simple – warm up for Sunday’s party by going to see Beecake play at The Hotel Cafe! Billy Boyd and his band mates will be on stage at 11pm at the venue in Hollywood; details can be found, and tickets can be purchased, here. (Please note this event is 21+)
Then grab a few hours sleep before the big event on Sunday afternoon! See you there!
Posted in Billy Boyd, Concerts, Events, Lord of the Rings, LotR Cast News, Oscar Parties, The One Expected Party
Arwen party dress by BlackMilk Clothing
Some of the Middle-earth clothing from Black Milk has made a splash on our Facebook page but with fashion and popular culture taking center stage this week leading up to our own One Expected Party on Oscar night, it seemed a good time to share it here. Will we see a Doorway party dress? How about Witch King leggings? While we kind of want to chastise the company for not hyphenating and not making the e lower case in Middle-earth, its pretty cool to see a company take geek culture in mainstream directions. Its R2-D2 dress is well-known on websites like Tumblr, Twitter and Pinterest. The Australian company gets our kudos for making geek, chic. In the meantime, if you want to or plan to be in the Los Angeles area this weekend and want to join us for the party, we would love to have you, even if you aren’t wearing all the names of the dwarves on your leggings. Tickets remain and with food and entertainment like One Man LOTR and Billy Boyd’s Beekcake on the musical menu, and Hobbit Oscar nominations for visual effects, hair and makeup and production design, it will be a night of legend.
Posted in Billy Boyd, Clothing, Fans, Hobbit Movie, Joe Letteri, Lord of the Rings, Meet Ups, Merchandise, Oscar Parties, The One Expected Party
He’s a little guy with a HUGE resume: actor and stunt double Kiran Shah has starred in every one of the biggest fantasy / science-fiction films you can remember for the past 30 years! Ringer fans know him as the scale double for all 5 Hobbits (Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippin, Bilbo) in the LOTR Trilogy, and he currently appears in THE HOBBIT: AUJ as scale double for Bilbo and also the memorable Goblin Scribe in the basket, capping off a terrific career working with Peter Jackson in Middle-earth. Kiran joins host Clifford “Quickbeam” Broadway for an exclusive live chat on our innovative weekly webcast TORn TUESDAY! We talk with Kiran about his stunning list of film credits and the biggest names in Cinema Fantastique that he has worked with — James Cameron (ALIENS), Ridley Scott (LEGEND), Jim Henson (THE DARK CRYSTAL), Steven Spielberg & George Lucas (RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK and STAR WARS), and he shares wonderful memories of working on the NARNIA and LOTR films in New Zealand with Richard Taylor, P.J., et al. Come join the chat on our Live Event Page here at 5:00pm today Pacific Time! You can join the Barliman’s chat room and enjoy a unique show experience with your fellow fans! Follow Kiran Shah on Twitter @LittleKiranShah and your host Clifford @Quickbeam2000. See you on today’s show!
Posted in Barlimans, Headlines, Hobbit Cast News, Hobbit Movie, LotR Cast News, LotR Movies, Movie Fellowship of the Ring, Movie Return of the King, Movie The Two Towers, TORn TUESDAYS Live!