Check your calendars. This is not, I repeat NOT one of our famous (or infamous) TORn April fools jokes. Variety broke the story tonight that Warner Bros. is in talks with Amazon to develop a series based on J.R.R. Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings novels! According to Variety, Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos is personally involved in the negotiations, which are still in the very early stages.Posted in Fellowship of the Ring, Lord of the Rings, LotR Books, LotR Production, Return of the King, Studios, The Two Towers, Warner Bros.
Archive for the ‘LotR Books’ Category
- Battle of Bywater, and Passing of Saruman. End of the War of the Ring (1419) (more…)
- The Dwarves venture into the Mountain (1341)
- The Elvenking’s host leave Mirkwood for Erebor (1341)
- The Council of Elrond (1418)
- An angered Smaug searches the mountain (1341)
- Bilbo returns to Smaug’s chamber in the afternoon (1341)
- Smaug smashes the secret door (1341)
- Smaug attacks Lake-town (1341)
- Lake-town in the aftermath (1341)
- Elrond’s third day in his battle to save Frodo (1418)
- Bilbo and the Dwarves think of what to do next at the Hidden Door (1341)
- Escape across the Ford of Bruinen (1418)
- Gandalf and Elrond perceive the Black Riders at the Ford of Bruinen (1418)
- Frodo is brought to Rivendell (1418)
- Return of the King is published (1955)
- Thorin requests supplies (1341)
- Gandalf heads for Rivendell after escaping Weathertop (1418)
- The camp under Weathertop attacked at night. Frodo is wounded (1418)
- They cross the Ford of Bruinen; Frodo feels the first return of pain (1419)
- Frodo is again ill (1420)
- Samwise returns to Bag End (1421)
- The company of Thorin recovers in Lake-town (1341)
- Frodo reaches Bree at night (1418)
- Gandalf visits the Gaffer (1418)
- They come to the Grey Havens (1421)
- Frodo and Bilbo depart over the Sea with the Three Keeper (1421)
- The end of the Third age (1421)
Birth of Bilbo in the Shire (1290)
Bilbo and the barrels reach Lake-town just after sunset (S.R. 1341)
Birth of Frodo in the Shire (1368)
A long expected party!! (S.R. 1401)
Bilbo and Frodo’s birthdays (S.R. 1418)
The Black Riders reach Sarn Ford at evening (S.R. 1418)
Gandalf overtakes Shadowfax (S.R. 1418)
The hundred and twenty-ninth birthday of Bilbo and Frodo’s fifty-first birthday (S.R. 1419)
Sharkey in the Shire (S.R. 1419)
Bilbo’s hundred and thirtieth birthday. Frodo’s fifty-second birthday (S.R. 1420)
They meet the Last Riding of the Keepers of the Rings in Woody End (S.R. 1421)
Master Samwise rides out from Bag End (S.R. 1482)
We are moving back to Griffith Park, huzzah, and to the Mineral Wells location we’ve used the past 5 or 6 years before last year’s jaunt to Long Beach. Directions can be found on our Facebook event page in the party description. The picnic will start at Noon, with activities wrapping up around 5pm so we can clean up and clear out before it gets too dark. Here are a few of the things to note:
Costumes welcome, but not required. There will be a contest, with all pomp and circumstance.
The Cake and Cupcake contest is back as well, Tolkien themed designs only, please.
Quotes contest – The Hobbit is 80 years old on September 21, so let’s keep quotes to just The Hobbit, film or book in honor of the book that introduced Middle-earth to the World.
There may be a few games as well, such as Golfimbul, depending on how much yummy food and fellowship there is, or the temperatures. Actually, the weather may also impact the number of costumes or the viability of the Cakes. I’m sure some of you remember the great Cake meltdown a few years back.
Survival, on hot days, an umbrella or pop up tent work really well, so bring them, and chairs because the park benches don’t move. On not so hot days, still bring the pop ups or at least the chairs.
Food, yes, this is a Potluck party, so bring food, at least 6 servings worth, but let’s not forget cups, plates, napkins and flatware. If you have an ice chest, bring it. Whether it is personal sized, for your own beverages, or super big to help keep lots of water, soda or juice cold. Bottles are preferred because yellowjackets do seem to like picnics too.
Please check out the Facebook event page (linked above) to RSVP your attendance and what you plan to bring, or you can RSVP to me at Garfeimao@TheOneRing.net just so we have an idea of what is being brought and where we need to fill in the gaps.
And yes, children are very welcome, bring the whole family.
Posted in Baggins Birthday Bash, Characters, Collectibles, Events, Fans, Fellowship of the Ring, Hobbit Book, Hobbit Movie, J.R.R. Tolkien, Lord of the Rings, LotR Books, LotR Movies, Meet Ups, Movie Fellowship of the Ring, Movie Return of the King, Movie The Two Towers, Other Events, Return of the King, The Hobbit, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, The Two Towers, Tolkien, WETA Cave, Weta Collectibles, WETA Workshop
Bilbo fights off spiders (1341)
- They come to Isengard; they take leave of the King of the West at Sunset (1419)
Many of our readers will be familiar with the superb work of artist Donato Giancola, whose stunning paintings have graced the covers of many books, including editions of both The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. He’s a good friend of TORn’s, and some of you may have met him at one of our ‘Ringers Take Manhattan’ parties.
This weekend, Giancola will be appearing as Artist Guest of Honour at GenCon in Indianapolis. He’ll also be appearing at New York ComicCon in October. He has recently completed a fabulous new work set in Middle-earth: The Fellowship in Hollin. Here’s what Donato had to say about creating this landscape:Posted in Artwork, Conventions, Events, Exhibits, Hobbit Book, Lord of the Rings, LotR Books, Merchandise, Shop, The Hobbit, Tolkien
- Bilbo’s lost in the caves (1341)
- Riddles in the dark (1341)
- Bilbo finds the dwarves and the wizard (1341)
- The Company is trapped in the trees (1341)
- The funeral escort of King Théoden sets out (1419)