Archive for the ‘The Hobbit’ Category
Tonight’s newsletter from Weta Workshop provides us with an update on the many items that were on display during Comic-Con 2014.
As we posted the other day, the massive new Balrog statue will pre-order on September 22nd at 1pm PST. This statue will have an edition size of 1500 pieces world wide and will be 21″ tall with a 17.5″ long base. So this is going to be an attention grabbing piece in any collection.
Posted in Collectibles, Collectibles, ComicCon, Conventions, Events, Hobbit Movie, Lord of the Rings, LotR Movies, Merchandise, Movie Fellowship of the Ring, Movie Return of the King, Movie The Two Towers, Shop, The Hobbit, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, Weta Collectibles, WETA Workshop
Our friends The Heirs of Durin have full scans of the September issue of Empire Magazine and their “access-all-areas” tour of the final Middle-earth movie’s post-production facility.
I’ve picked the eyes out of it and listed some highlights below (contains some minor movie spoilers), or you can follow the link below and read the article in full yourself. Thanks to Ringer Eol for the link.
- The digital remaster of Braindead will be released post-The Hobbit (one for TBHL fans.
- There is already a working cut of the film, with only a couple more shots to “chisel into shape”.
- Without credits, the cut currently runs to 150 minutes and Jackson says he’s aiming at 140 minutes.
- Jackson: “I think of this third movie as a psychological thriller with actions scenes interspersed in the middle of it. It has for a very tight narrative structure.”
- Thranduil’s Warmoose will return! (Yay!!).
- Line from Thranduil to Thorin: We’ve come to tell you payment of your debt has been offered… and accepted.
- The orcs have all manner of creatures. Not just trolls, but creatures they have bred for their armies.
- Negotiations between Thorin and Thranduil conclude abruptly when Dain Ironfoot’s “cavalry” arrives.
- The dwarves are mounted on battle goats and battle rams. Dain rides a warpig.
Posted in Hobbit Movie, Peter Jackson, PJ's Other Films, The Hobbit, The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies, The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
Fairly wide-ranging interview from Deadline with Peter Jackon conducted around the time of the San Diego Comic-Con.
It actually contains little that’s new: the fact that The Dam Busters film is still on the cards will be of interest to war-buffs who remember the 1955 original. And apparently Jackson and Mortensen have chatted about those 3D comments that Viggo made to press a couple of months back, too. Something something misquote. Supposedly.
Anyway, here’s the meatiest bit of the entire interview about The Hobbit: (more…)
Posted in Christopher Tolkien, Hobbit Movie, J.R.R. Tolkien, Lord of the Rings, MGM, New Line Cinema, Peter Jackson, PJ's Other Films, Studios, The Hobbit, The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies, The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, Tolkien, Tolkien Estate, Warner Bros.
Our friends at Harper Collins Publishers, along with our friends at Weta Workshop, have a new Chronicles book coming out for The Hobbit Trilogy. We’re pleased to team up with them to unveil the cover for the new book The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies Chronicles: Art & Design. This book, like all the others in this series, is going to be fantastic allowing fans to see the amazing process of bringing this movie to life. You can Pre-order the book right now and have it in your collection on December 17th just before the movie comes out.
Another great book coming out for The Hobbit Trilogy is the The Hobbit Motion Picture Trilogy Location Guide that will take you from Bag End to Erebor and beyond. Ian Brodie is back taking us across Middle-earth much as he did with The Lord of the Rings Location Guides so expect to add another fantastic book to your collection. You can order this book right now with it arriving on October 28th.
Posted in Books, Books Publications, Collectibles, Merchandise, Shop, The Hobbit, The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies, WETA Workshop
It’s a tradition that goes back years for a great many of us – downloading the latest Tolkien movie trailer on Apple’s Quicktime Site. In the years before Facebook and YouTube, this was where we all turned to in order to get our first (second, third, fourth…) glimpses of Peter Jackson’s epic adaptation.
While the rise of the aforementioned social media venues has seen them become the premiere locations to catch trailers, video blogs, etc. – you still can’t beat the high quality presentation (and superior video compression) of Apple’s Quicktime Trailers.
Now, weeks after the premiere of the teaser trailer, the first look at the final chapter in the Hobbit Trilogy is finally available to view in high quality 480p, 720p, and 1080p video on Apple’s website. (more…)
Posted in Headlines, Hobbit Movie, J.R.R. Tolkien, MGM, Miscellaneous, New Line Cinema, The Hobbit, The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies, Tolkien, Trailer, Warner Bros.
Join Fili to learn how to make a sweet summer treat that even elves will devour… or will they? See recipe below!
STRAWBERRY SHORTBREAD PIE
For the crust:
Remember — this exact recipe may end up being a little more than enough for just one pie. If this happens, use the extra dough to form shapes to decorate your pie! This makes a great cookie, too!
1 cup (2 sticks) salted butter, softened
2 cups all-purpose flour
½ cup confectioner’s sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350º F.
2. Mix together the cold butter, flour, and confectioner’s sugar. Using a pastry cutter to mix it all together will help. Once it is mixed together into an even crust, take the amount you need to evenly cover the bottom of the tin. Make sure it is not too thin on the bottom or else it will burn, and not too thick on the edges.
3. Bake for about 10-15 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Always set the bake time lower in case your oven is acting up!
4. Remove from oven and let it cool completely before you dress it up with the berries!
For the filling:
1 quart fresh strawberries (or more!)
1 cup white sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
3/4 cup water
1. After the crust has baked and cooled, arrange around half the whole strawberries until the crust is covered.
2. Mash the remaining berries in a bowl before adding the sugar. Once mixed, cook it together in a medium saucepan over medium heat until it boils. Be sure to stir it the entire time!
3. On the side, whisk together cornstarch and water. Once the berry mixture is boiling, stir the cornstarch mixture in and reduce heat to low. Stir constantly until it thickens into a gelatin-like substance. This could be 5 to 10 minutes depending on how your stove cooks, eyeball it!
4. Once it is ready, pour it over the strawberries that are already in the crust. Place any decorations such as the hearts we did above on the pie before it sets up too much. Then last, put it in the fridge for several hours before eating!
5. Eat it all! Whip cream or not, this pie will be gone in a night! Especially if you have Legolas around ;).
Posted in Fans, Happy Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, Tolkien, Uncategorized
Welcome to our collection of TORn’s hottest topics for the past week. If you’ve fallen behind on what’s happening on the Message Boards, here’s a great way to catch the highlights. Or if you’re new to TORn and want to enjoy some great conversations, just follow the links to some of our most active discussions. Watch this space as every weekend we will spotlight the most popular buzz on TORn’s Message Boards. Everyone is welcome, so come on in and join the fun!
Posted in Fans, Hobbit Movie, Lord of the Rings, LotR Books, The Hobbit, TheOneRing.net Community
Over the last few weeks I’ve had the pleasure of chatting with Shaun Gunner, Chairman of The Tolkien Society. We discussed what he thinks of the Peter Jackson films and where he sees the Tolkien Society heading to in the 21st Century. And because he said he didn’t mind answering some silly questions, I just couldn’t resist putting grammaboodawg’s favourite question from our Getting to know you Q&A’s to him.
Posted in Fans, Headlines, Hobbit Book, Hobbit Movie, J.R.R. Tolkien, Lord of the Rings, LotR Books, LotR Movies, Other Tolkien books, The Hobbit, TheOneRing.net Community, Tolkien, Tolkien Family
The annual tradition of determining who won or lost at San Diego Comic-Con is in full swing across the blogosphere. The all-volunteer staff of TheOneRing.net (who always attend on their own accord and dime) experienced all the booths, panels and exclusive lines at SDCC 2014.
After taking it all in, here are just a few reasons we think 2014 SDCC belonged to The Hobbit. (more…)
Posted in Andy Serkis, Benedict Cumberbatch, Cate Blanchett, Collectibles, ComicCon, Conventions, Elijah Wood, Evangeline Lilly, Fans, Graham McTavish, Hobbit Movie, Lee Pace, Luke Evans, Manu Bennett, Meet Ups, WETA Workshop
Several Ringers have written into us about this preview of one of the additional scenes from the extended edition of The Desolation of Smaug from Yahoo Movies UK.
From Yahoo Movies UK:
Director Peter Jackson has never scrimped on the footage front with his movies.
And as this exclusive scene from ‘The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug’ proves, the 25 minutes extra on the new Extended Edition will show off some intriguing new moments from Bilbo’s journey.
Showcasing Martin Freeman’s climbing skills, the group reach a swamp which they’ve been warned by Gandalf holds some dark secrets. That doesn’t appear to stop the dwarves though, who encourage Bilbo to cross as he’s the lightest.
You can get your copy on November 3, in 3D, DVD or HD Digital.
Thank you to all the Ringers who contacted Spymaster@theonering.net
Posted in Headlines, Hobbit Movie, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
Welcome to our collection of TORn’s hottest topics for the past week. If you’ve fallen behind on what’s happening on the Message Boards, here’s a great way to catch the highlights. Or if you’re new to TORn and want to enjoy some great conversations, just follow the links to some of our most popular discussions. Watch this space as every weekend we will spotlight the most popular buzz on TORn’s Message Boards. Everyone is welcome, so come on in and join the fun!
Posted in Fans, Fellowship of the Ring, Headlines, Hobbit Movie, J.R.R. Tolkien, Lord of the Rings, LotR Books, LotR Movies, The Hobbit, The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies, TheOneRing.net Community, Tolkien, Trailer