Archive for the ‘Benedict Cumberbatch’ Category
WETA Digital has released a brand new two and a half minute video exclusively to the The Hollywood Reporter detailing the creation of the dragon Smaug. Thanks to Ringers Makaw, Brandon, Will P., and Jesse for notifying us about the video!
The Hollywood Reporter also spoke to Smaug VFX artist David Clayton (who is nominated for an Academy Award for his work on the film) about the process of translating actor Benedict Cumberbatch’s motion capture performance into the fire-breathing creature you see on the screen in The Desolation of Smaug. (more…)
Posted in Benedict Cumberbatch, Crew News, Headlines, Hobbit Movie, Miscellaneous, Other Crew, Production, The Hobbit, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, WETA Digital
If you’re a fan of Neil Gaiman and his fantasy novel Neverwhere, here’s a treat for you -– BBC Radio 4 is re-broadcasting the for-radio version that proved a hit earlier this year. No wonder that it was popular considering it features the following cast: James McAvoy as Richard Mayhew, Natalie Dormer as Door, Benedict Cumberbatch as The Angel Islington, Anthony Stewart Head as Croup and Christopher Lee as The Earl of Earl’s Court (to name a few).
Three episodes have already aired (and can still be listened to on the Beeb website) while the remainder will air over the next few nights at 11:30pm GMT, up until Monday December 30. Go and have a listen over on the Radio 4 website and enjoy. (more…)
Posted in Benedict Cumberbatch, Christopher Lee
Since this is full of conjecture for the next film, consider it wall to wall spoilers!!!
Here is a list of all the things we are looking forward to seeing in ‘The Hobbit: There and Back Again’ next December. Since there are so many changes, additions and enhancements in the films, we can only know the broad strokes of what is to come with the details up for grabs. That means this list will mostly be based on events that occur in ‘The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug’ and the questions and actions they leave open heading into ‘The Hobbit: There and Back Again’
And now we begin the Spoiler filled guesswork portion of this article.
1) Legolas catching up to Bolg. Nobody, but nobody gives Leggy a bloody nose and lives.
2) Smaug’s attack on Lake-town will be epic! Bard’s response will be equally epic!
3) What exactly does it take to pry Thranduil out of Mirkwood and enter the fray? Could it be a true desire to assist the Men of Lake-town in their hour of need? Or will it be his desire to recover the missing elven gems? Or will it be a more personal desire to find and bring back Legolas and Tauriel who are missing and presumed to be in the middle of the fight already?
4) How will an injured Kili and the rest of the dwarves get out of the way of an approaching Dragon? And what about Bard’s kids?
5) Who springs Bard out of prison? Will it be Tauriel, Bofur and Fili, or might it be his son, Bain?
6) What becomes of Tauriel? Does she stay with the Dwarves and Bard’s kids or does she try to catch up to Legolas?
7) How does Gandalf get out of his pickle?
8) Radagast went to inform Galadriel of what was happening at Dol Guldur, will she go to War? Who else might come with her? Will Saruman join in or drag his feet?
9) Does Bilbo have the Arkenstone already? If not, how will things play out in Erebor while Smaug is away? And how does the Company find out about Smaug’s fate and how long does that take?
10) Is that big Orc army we see marching through Dol Guldur going to be present when the White Council shows up? Or is the army headed towards Erebor, leaving Dol Guldur rather defenseless when the White Council does show up to spring Gandalf?
11) When will Beorn decide to jump into the fray and how many dead orcs does he leave in his wake?
12) Will we see an auction beginning at Bag End with Lobelia stashing silverware into her bodice?
Posted in Aidan Turner, Benedict Cumberbatch, Dean O'Gorman, Evangeline Lilly, Events, Fans, Film Screenings, Hobbit Movie, James Nesbitt, John Bell, Lawrence Makoare, Lee Pace, Luke Evans, Manu Bennett, Martin Freeman, Mary Nesbit, Mikael Persbrandt, Peggy Nesbit, Richard Armitage, Sylvester McCoy, The Hobbit, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, The Hobbit: There and Back Again
Additional characters aside, as they were all known before going in so they can’t be a surprise anyhow, here is a list of things that have surprised audiences in ‘The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug’ this past week since the film’s release.
1) Legolas got a bloody nose, which seemed to surprise him almost as much as it surprised the audience. He’s never been wobbly in a battle before, not sure if that is going to make him more cautious or not as he chases after Bolg, the one who inflicted the injury.
2) Smaug seems surprisingly well informed. He knew that Thorin had earned the nickname of Oakenshield while out in Middle-earth after the fall of Erebor. Smaug also seems fully aware that a Dark Power is rising and that there is an impending war coming. Now if we can just figure out who is feeding him this intel.
3) A Wind Lance, really? Not a standard Long Bow? How disappointing, although it is wicked cool looking and realistically makes more sense, it is not the image most fans were expecting from Bard the Bowman.
4) So Kili gets injured and is left behind in Lake-town, along with 3 other Dwarves. Wow! the Breaking of the Company. The fact he was injured by a Morgul bladed arrow was also a surprise.
5) The Orcs were chasing the Dwarves down the river and fighting the Elves in full sunlight? What’s up with that?
6) The other surprising bit with Smaug is that he could sense the Ring’s presence and by force of will convince Bilbo to take the Ring off. Yipes! It’s a power similar to that of the Nazgul.
7) Back to Bree we go, and this time the guy sitting in the corner is actually dangerous, and that dude munching on a carrot is back.
8) The Spiders did speak, but only Bilbo can hear them when he wears the Ring. Well, except for when he took the Ring off and stabbed that one spider, who then says “it stings” before dying, giving Sting it’s name. So the Spider’s speaking was a surprise, and the way it was handled was a surprise, but there is at least one inconsistency to this plot device. Does anyone care about that? Probably not, cause the spiders were creepy as all heck.
9) Gandalf entering Dol Guldur alone, first facing Azog and having to resort to trickery to get away, and then the big face off with the Necromancer, who reveals himself fully to Gandalf. The endless emptiness that is Sauron is epic.
10) While not surprised that the molten hot gold did not seem to injure Smaug, the most surprising bit in that whole sequence was just how transfixed Smaug was when the Golden Dwarf statue was revealed. He looked like an animal caught in a Cobra’s stare, which is probably the reverse of what Smaug normally encounters.
Posted in Aidan Turner, Benedict Cumberbatch, Dean O'Gorman, Fans, Film Screenings, Hobbit Movie, James Nesbitt, Lawrence Makoare, Luke Evans, The Hobbit, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
BEVERLY HILLS – As “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug” opens around (most) of the world, we continue or video conversations with its stars. This round has Luke Evans talking about Bard the Bowman and his character’s city of Lake-Town and Benedict Cumberbatch explaining Smaug and his take on the massive creature. TheOneRing.net had a chance to briefly sit down with both actors on the morning of the world premiere. Evans wouldn’t say it on camera but he was not feeling well but soldiered on all the same. Thanks to both for insightful answers. Enjoy
Posted in Benedict Cumberbatch, Characters, Director news, Events, Headlines, Hobbit Book, Hobbit Movie, Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug, Locations Sets, Luke Evans, Peter Jackson, Premieres, Press Conferences, Production, The Hobbit, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
It can be argued that the biggest internet story coming out of the premiere is not spiders and bears, but a playful behind grab caught only by TheOneRing.net cameras! During our exclusive red-carpet interview with Martin Freeman, Benedict Cumberbatch sneakily snuck up and shared a pinch and a bird with his Hobbit co-star. Animated gifs have turned up everywhere on tumblr, and even Gawker’s Jezebel says this is the greatest thing to come out of it all.
Posted in Benedict Cumberbatch, Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug, Martin Freeman, Premieres, TORN TV
This is a word-for-word transcription of a press conference held for “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug,” in a hotel in Los Angeles after the World Premiere of the film. Seated were: Philippa Boyens, Benedict Cumberbatch, Richard Armitage, Peter Jackson, Evangeline Lilly, Luke Evans, Aidan Turner and Dean O’Gorman.
Press were given microphones by moderators. Although TheOneRing.net attended, for which we thank Warner Bros., we did not have a chance to ask a question to the assembled group; we apologize for some that did. Transcribed by Twitter staffer @Saoirse_Loachlann (more…)
Posted in Aidan Turner, Benedict Cumberbatch, Characters, Crew News, Dean O'Gorman, Director news, Evangeline Lilly, Headlines, Hobbit Book, Hobbit Cast News, Hobbit Movie, Hobbit Movie FAQ, J.R.R. Tolkien, Luke Evans, Martin Freeman, New Zealand, Peter Jackson, Philippa Boyens, Richard Armitage, The Hobbit, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, Tolkien
As some of you may have noticed – something rather unexpected happened today.
Posted in Benedict Cumberbatch, Headlines, Hobbit Movie, J.R.R. Tolkien, LotR Movies, Martin Freeman, Media Reviews, MGM, Miscellaneous, New Line Cinema, Peter Jackson, The Hobbit, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, Tolkien, Warner Bros.
While reviews for The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug were expected to
begin getting published this coming Sunday – the embargo was lifted early and we began getting reviews today! TORN staffers, who have been lucky enough to see the film already, will be reviewing the film soon enough. First up will be our own Quickbeam, who is currently finalizing his thoughts. In the meantime, however, we thought we’d post a couple of the early reviews for your reading pleasure. (more…)
LOS ANGELES — TheOneRing.net covered all kinds of events this week surrounding the World Premiere of “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug.” None was more exciting than the film’s red (black) carpet experience where the stars can greet fans and walk the press line to talk about the film.
Many clips end up on news and entertainment websites but we bring you an edited version with our own Happy Hobbits behind the microphones and in front of the stars including Martin Freeman, Evangeline Lilly, Luke Evans, William Kircher, Dean O’Gorman, Aidan Turner, Philippa Boyens, Manu Bennett, Ryan Gage, Sean Astin, Ed Sheeran and the already-famous pinch from Benedict Cumberbatch.
Posted in Aidan Turner, Benedict Cumberbatch, Crew News, Dean O'Gorman, Ed Sheeran, Evangeline Lilly, Events, Fans, Film Screenings, Headlines, Hobbit Cast News, Hobbit Movie, Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug, Joe Letteri, Luke Evans, Manu Bennett, Martin Freeman, Peter Jackson, Philippa Boyens, Premieres, Ryan Gage, Sean Astin, The Hobbit, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, TheOneRing.net Community, William Kircher
At the press interviews for The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug in Los Angeles, Yahoo!’s Meriah Doty put Martin Freeman, Benedict Cumberbatch, Evangeline Lilly and Luke Evans through a quick quiz to see if they could ID their co-stars’ feet.
Because Peter Jackson thinks shoeless-ness is the new black, and Bilbo Baggins is also shoe-averse — The Hobbit is really a story about feet, right? (more…)
Posted in Benedict Cumberbatch, Evangeline Lilly, Hobbit Movie, Lee Pace, Martin Freeman, Richard Armitage, The Hobbit, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
Benedict Cumberbatch photyographed by Paola Kudacki for TIME.
Benedict Cumberbatch sits down with Drew McWeeny from HitFix to discuss playing the dragon Smaug in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. Cumberbatch also goes into detail about his vocal training and learning the Black Speech in order to play the role of The Necromancer. Speaking of which, he does along the way divulge something that might be a movie spoiler for some (highlight just below if you want to find out what is). (more…)
Posted in Benedict Cumberbatch, Hobbit Movie, The Hobbit
Once you get past the weirdly silenced bits where his lips move, but there’s no sound (are they hiding stuff from us?), this interview with Benedict Cumberbatch has a lot to offer. His enthusiasm for the character is especially obvious.
Warning for potential movie spoilers! And thanks to Ringer Thranduil05 for the heads-up. (more…)
Posted in Benedict Cumberbatch, Characters, Hobbit Book, Hobbit Movie, The Hobbit, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug