Mathematics aficionados have had fun this year with the once-in-a-lifetime PI Day — 3.14.15. 9:26:53. Symphony Silicon Valley has more numbers for the inner geek in all of us.Posted in Concerts, Events, Fans, Film Screenings, Headlines, Lord of the Rings, LotR Movies, Meet Ups, Movie Fellowship of the Ring, Movie Return of the King, Movie The Two Towers
Archive for the ‘Meet Ups’ Category
Ralph Bakshi will appear in person at a film retrospective of some of his most iconic animated films, presented by the American Cinematheque in conjunction with the USC School of Cinematic Arts. The films will screen at the Aero Theater in Santa Monica on the last weekend of March. You can catch a double feature of “Heavy Traffic” and “American Pop” on Friday, March 27 starting at 7:30pm. There will be a discussion with director Ralph Bakshi between these two films and a clip will be shown from his new film “Last Days of Coney Island”. On the following Saturday, March 28, there will be a double feature of “The Lord of the Rings” and “Wizards”, starting at 7:30pm, again with a discussion with director Ralph Bakshi between the two films.
If you have never seen this version of LOTR, or at least never seen it on the big screen, you must try and catch this screening. The rotoscoping is eye-catching, to say the least, and brings a level of veracity to the more serious themes of this story, something that was not common with animation of it’s time. Bakshi Productions will be selling art in the lobby starting at 6:30pm each night, so get there early.
Staffers from TheOneRing.net will running about the theater as well, so do make sure to say hello if you see us. And what can only be called a cosmic coincidence, Tolkien Forever, the Los Angeles based smial of the Tolkien Society will be hosting Tolkien Reading Day earlier in the day on Saturday, March 28 in Downtown Los Angeles. You can find out more details about that on Facebook event page. Why not make it a true Tolkien daily double with some reading, some viewing and some Fellowship.
The Aero theater is located at 1328 Montana Avenue, Santa Monica, CA 90403, and you can buy tickets at the box office or in advance on Fandango. All the information you need can be found on the American Cinematheque Bakshi Tribute calendar.Posted in Artwork, Director news, Events, Fans, Film Screenings, J.R.R. Tolkien, Lord of the Rings, LotR Movies, Meet Ups, Other Events, Tolkien, Tolkien Reading Day
Here are some of the items we will have available for the silent auction and raffle, including something for the Non-Attending Supporters of our Indiegogo campaign. We have some rather big ticket prizes, numerous autographed items, and some original artwork for you, and at least one item offered for a Charity Auction. Everything on this list will be split fairly evenly between the silent auction and the raffle, giving everyone a chance to walk away with something very cool. This is not a complete list, things are still arriving, but it will give you an idea of what you will have a chance to either bid on or try and win in a Chinese style raffle drawing.
Gollum Stained Glass Window – handmade
Prancing Pony Mug – handmade
Green Dragon Mug – handmade
Bilbo’s Teacups – handmade
Mallorn Leaf Serving Plate – handmade
Signed Items –
Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King “For Your Consideration” script – signed by numerous LOTR cast and crew
DOS Bilbo Poster – signed by numerous Hobbit cast and crew
DOS Cast Poster – signed by numerous Hobbit cast and crew
TOPPS Autograph Cards – One each for Cate Blanchett, Liv Tyler, Billy Boyd, Sean Astin and Elijah Wood.
Big Ticket Items –
Sideshow Artist Proof of Sauron statue
Sideshow Artis Proof of Galadriel
One note for those of you not attending the party, two of the Signed TOPPS cards, the Sam and Frodo cards, will be raffled off for the Non-Attending supporters during our Live Stream of the party.Posted in Billy Boyd, Cate Blanchett, Elijah Wood, Events, Fans, Hobbit Book, Hobbit Movie, Liv Tyler, Lord of the Rings, LotR Movies, Meet Ups, Movie Fellowship of the Ring, Movie Return of the King, Movie The Two Towers, Oscar Parties, Sean Astin, The Hobbit, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, The One Last Party
The OneLastParty is almost upon us, and today we’re very excited and pleased to unveil the delectable items that will be featured at the buffet dinner and bar areas. First, some answers to some of the questions we’ve been getting:
Food fun facts:
– The doors open at 5:30 and the buffet line opens shortly afterwards at 5:45 p.m.
– Dinner service will run until 8:00 p.m. with the show starting around 8:30 p.m.
– Special Dietary needs: the party planners went to great lengths to ensure we could accommodate a number of dietary preferences which are indicated in the notes to the menu. However, if you have a very severe food allergy, you might want to bring something to supplement the buffet offerings. As we’re serving over 500 people, we can’t guarantee that there is absolutely none of a particular ingredient in the food
Bar fun facts:
– Bar areas will feature both alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks (see pricing below)
– Everyone with tickets that include meals will get two drink tickets at check-in that can be used for two free drinks
– Our friends at Middle-earth Wine are supporting the event, so we will have special Middle-earth wine available at the party! (NB there was a mistake in our post earlier; this wine is available for your drink tickets or to purchase. Unfortunately it will not be free all evening!)
– After your drink tickets have been used, the bars will take cash or credit cards. Credit card purchases have a $20 minimum (if desired, this can be met by opening a tab)
ONE LAST PARTY FOOD MENU
Mixed greens with blackberry balsamic vinaigrette (notes 1, 3)
Butter Lettuce with citrus segments and creamy herb dressing (notes 1, 3)
Roasted potatoes & pearl onions (notes 1, 3)
Buttered peas (notes 1, 3)
Chicken breast with wild mushroom sauce
Pork tenderloin with apple chutney (note 3)
Vegetarian option: Portobello mushroom stacks with eggplant, squash and sun-dried tomato sauce (notes 1, 2, 3)
Baked apples with Cinnamon caramel (notes 1, 3)
Blackberry tart with whipped cream (note 1)
Food notes: (1) Vegetarian, (2) Vegan, (3) Free of large amounts of gluten
ONE LAST PARTY BAR MENU & PRICING:
$3 Juices & sodas
$5 Red Bull
$6 Assorted Beers
$6 Assorted Wines
$11 Cocktails (includes a wonderful selection of Middle-earth themed drinks)Posted in Events, Fans, Meet Ups, Merchandise, Oscar Parties, Other Merchandise, The One Last Party
Only 15 days away from The One Last Party! TheOneRing.net staff are working overtime to make our last Oscar event a night to remember. Today we are happy to unveil our party subsite, and apologies for not having it up sooner. On the subsite, you will find information on party times, parking, raffles, costuming, etc. We will be updating this area on a regular basis, so please look to this space and your email for further details as they become available. (For example, we just learned we’re going to be auctioning off a Sideshow/Weta Sauron Artist Proof statue!!) And don’t forget, you may still be able to snag a ticket to the performance part of the evening! Details on the Party Specifics page.Posted in Events, Fans, Meet Ups, Oscar Parties, The One Last Party, The One Last Party, TheOneRing.net Community
If you are attending our last party and you are looking to celebrate in style, we’ve secured a special discount for you!
Friar Tux Shop, one of southern California’s premier providers of men’s tuxedos and suits, has graciously come on board in support of the “The One Last Party”! Rent your tux from any Friar Tux Shop and receive $40 off by using the group code: #94185. As our preferred tux shop in the LA area, Friar Tux Shop has locations through out, including Beverly Hills, West LA and Thousand Oaks. With outstanding commitment to service, Friar Tux Shops pride themselves on providing the finest in men’s fashion at affordable prices. Offering all the latest designer styles, including Calvin Klein, Ralph Lauren, Joseph Abboud, and Perry Ellis, you are certain to look your best on this very special night.
You can make your reservation through the FriarTux.com website, or by calling the closest location to our venue in Beverly Hills.
Please make your reservations by February 6th to take advantage of the $40 OFF order!
Friar Tux Shop
8621 Wilshire Blvd
Beverly Hills, CA 90211
We are hard at work planning for The One Last Party – and the good news is, having looked carefully at numbers, we can fit in FIFTY more people for the ‘Entish Entertainment’ ticket! That’s the ‘show only’ ticket – here are the details:
For those on a budget: join us later in the evening! This ticket does NOT include dinner, free drinks or goody bag. It DOES get you into the event, to party with your fellow fans and enjoy the performance. Dress code is formal or costumes. Drinks and raffle tickets will be available to buy; NO food will be available. Entish Entertainment party goers will be admitted to the party approx 2 hrs into the evening; we’ll confirm details nearer the time.
These tickets are $100, and only 50 will be available! Click ‘BUY NOW’ if you’d like to grab a ticket before they’re gone! Last chance to join us at the party! NB as the Indiegogo campaign is closed you cannot buy these tickets there – they are ONLY available by clicking here:
We also want to announce the lucky winner of the SIGNED POSTER giveaway that we ran during the last week of the campaign. Congratulations to Jasmin, who was picked at random from all the pledges received that week. The poster is on the way to you!
Also huge thanks to supporters David and Judy, who donated this amazing collectible. They say:
EB truly is one of the most heartbreaking diseases we have learned about in the past few years. You can find out more about it at
Children with EB are sometimes called “Butterfly Children” because their skin is a delicate as a butterfly’s wing. Just the slightest touch can cause painful blisters and the skin to separate, like 2nd and 3rd degree burns. We just love the scene from Desolation of Smaug, where Bilbo is above the trees surrounded by butterflies. It makes us think of all those who have passed on and are free from EB.’
We’re glad to help raise awareness; thanks again to our poster donors!
And of course, we owe HUGE thanks to ALL who supported the campaign. Tolkien fans never cease to amaze us! We’re thrilled that we can hold this special celebration, and have you all be a part of it – in person or via the live stream. Which leads us to another announcement – as our campaign was so successful, we will not need to charge for the live stream. So LIVE STREAM will be FREE and available to all!
Stay tuned for more party details; and we’ll see you there – in Los Angeles or on the internet!
Posted in Events, Fans, Meet Ups, Oscar Parties, The One Last Party, The One Last Party, TheOneRing.net Community
As the funding goal for The One Last Party draws closer, and it looks like we may indeed be able to celebrate this fandom with one last, big, hurrah, we realize that lots of folks are taking the bold step of venturing out their door alone on this mission… quest… thing…
So, for those people coming to The One Last Party alone, here are our top tips and advice to make your trip more fun!
1. DON’T PANIC! (Sorry, borrowing from another fandom there!) MANY of your TORn friends – they are already your friends, even if you have yet to meet them – have taken this step before, venturing out alone, but soon finding themselves surrounded by excellent and admirable fellow fans, who have become cherished companions.
2. If you’re looking to share a hotel room with someone, try posting in the ‘TORn Moots and Other Events’ area of the Message Boards. Start a thread or respond to one – there may already be posts about hotel rooms there. You could also leave a post at the Facebook event page for The One Last Party – see more on that below!
3. If you just would like to know who a few people are – maybe exchange phone numbers – before you head to Hollywood, the suggestions in point 2 also apply. Check out the Facebook Event page – we hope that will be a good online meeting place for people, where they can share the excitement as we all get ready to party together. You’ll have new friends before you even arrive in LA!
4. Don’t fret over what to wear. Dress code for the event is formal or costumes – it is Oscar weekend, after all! This is a chance to wear your red carpet finery – or your pointy ears! In simple terms, it means tuxedos for men and long dresses for women; but there are lots of possibilities! Gents, got a wonderful suit but not a tuxedo? No problem! Ladies, want to wear a cocktail dress so you can dance without tripping over your elven train? That works! Bearded dwarf women, glamorous elves, ladies in tuxedos – it’s all good! So long as you embrace the opportunity to don your glad rags – whatever form they may take! – you’ll look splendid.
5. Should you arrive at the party still not knowing anyone, don’t be afraid to chat to folks in line – for admission, for dinner, for photo ops! You already have a lot in common with these people! Find out how long they’ve been fans, or when they first discovered TheOneRing.net – or share a good moan about the parts of the movies you DON’T enjoy. Nothing builds bonds quite like shared dislikes!
6. Once you get to that photo op moment, invite a stranger to share your barrel! Your fellow Barrel Rider may become your new best friend – and now you have a photo of the moment you met!
7. When it comes to dinner, no seats are reserved! We’ll all be feasting like hobbits and moving around to see what else is going on, so don’t be afraid to grab a seat and start a conversation – just maybe try to have slightly better table manners than the dwarves…
9. It’s ok to be a book lover, a movie lover, a Rankin/Bass fan or a relative newbie to the world of Tolkien’s words! Anything goes – Ringers come in all shapes and forms, from all nations and all backgrounds, and that’s one of the things which is so great about the fandom.
10. Don’t forget your pocket handkerchief! It’s an exciting business, going out of your door – there is no knowing where you might be swept off to…
One Last Party fundraiser!
Our One Last Party fundraiser on Indiegogo is almost 90% funded and we’re pretty stoked!
If you’d like to join us as a Party of Special Magnificence in Hollywood in February — a toast to all SIX Middle-earth movies, then now is the time to throw in your support! Even if you can’t make it to Hollywood (or if you’ve already contributed), you can help out by retweeting or sharing our fundraiser across social media to get the word out.Posted in Events, Fans, Meet Ups, Oscar Parties, The One Last Party, The One Last Party, TheOneRing.net Community
EXCITING NEWS! As we are so close to our goal for The One Last Party, we feel confident that we can now announce our PARTY VENUE!
The One Last Party will be held at the American Legion Hall, Hollywood. This was our venue for The Return of the One Party in 2004, and The One Expected Party in 2013. It will be great to return to this old friend for our last big hurrah!
The nearest hotels are Best Western (next door), the Hilton Garden Inn, the Holiday Inn Express, and the BLVD. Hotel across the street.
Onwards to our goal! Let’s make this party a reality!
One Last Party fundraiser!
Our One Last Party fundraiser on Indiegogo is almost 90% funded and we’re pretty stoked!
If you’d like to join us as a Party of Special Magnificence in Hollywood in February — a toast to all SIX Middle-earth movies, then now is the time to throw in your support! Even if you can’t make it to Hollywood (or if you’ve already contributed), you can help out by retweeting or sharing our fundraiser across social media to get the word out.Posted in Events, Fans, Meet Ups, Oscar Parties, The One Expected Party, The One Last Party, The One Last Party, TheOneRing.net Community
We’re into the final week of The One Last Party Indiegogo campaign, and only 20% away from our goal! With a last push in these closing days we can get there – and hold a celebration of this journey of fandom we’ve been on together!
We’ve been eager, from the start, to provide ways for fans to be involved with this celebration, even if you can’t make it to Los Angeles. The campaign includes signed collectibles and stunning art work available as perks; an opportunity to get access to a live stream of the party; and a special ‘Thank You’ which we will send to Peter Jackson, with the names of all who pledge. There are also ‘Supporter of Special Magnificence’ tshirts available, which feature the words, ’17 years is far too short a time to party among such excellent and admirable fans’.
The One Last Party is about the Fellowship of Fandom, and we hope that everyone who enjoys TheOneRing.net will feel able to be a part of it in some way. Which leads us to the awesome GIVEAWAY we have to announce!
Thanks to one very generous supporter, who is keen to see the campaign reach its goal, we have got our hands on a Battle of the Five Armies poster, signed at San Diego ComicCon by:
Dwalin – Graham McTavish
Gollum – Andy Serkis
Tauriel – Evangeline Lilly
Thranduil – Lee Pace
Legolas – Orlando Bloom
Bard – Luke Evans
Smaug – Benedict Cumberbatch
Frodo – Elijah Wood
Galadriel – Cate Blanchett
This poster (measuring 13′ by 20′), together with the holographic wristband that was needed to get it at SDCC, will be given away to one lucky supporter, chosen at random from all the pledges of $10 and above that we receive THIS WEEK (Monday 12th to Sunday 18th January).
The poster will only be given away IF we reach our goal! If we get to $180k by (or before!) the deadline on Sunday 18th, one name will be chosen at random to receive this amazing poster and wristband. Each new pledge of $10 or higher during this final week will be a separate entry into the draw; the more times you pledge, the more chances you have to win!
(If you don’t want to run the risk of not winning, remember, you could pledge for the ‘Gimli, Son of Gloin’ perk and get a larger poster signed by 12 cast members!)
Help us reach our goal, be part of the celebration, and this fabulous signed poster could be on its way to you!
Huge thanks to the generous supporter who has donated this amazing item; and to all who have supported The One Last Party so far. Together we can make this celebration a reality! Click here to visit the campaign: theonelastparty.com
(Please note, the poster is displayed on a frame in the photographs; the frame is not included in the giveaway! Poster will be shipped carefully packaged in a tube.)
One Last Party fundraiser!
Our One Last Party fundraiser on Indiegogo is almost 80% funded and we’re pretty stoked!
If you’d like to join us as a Party of Special Magnificence in Hollywood in February — a toast to all SIX Middle-earth movies, then now is the time to throw in your support! Even if you can’t make it to Hollywood (or if you’ve already contributed), you can help out by retweeting or sharing our fundraiser across social media to get the word out.Posted in Andy Serkis, Benedict Cumberbatch, Cate Blanchett, ComicCon, Contests, Conventions, Elijah Wood, Evangeline Lilly, Events, Fans, Graham McTavish, Hobbit Cast News, Hobbit Movie, Lee Pace, Luke Evans, Meet Ups, Merchandise, Orlando Bloom, Oscar Parties, Posters Prints, The Hobbit, The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies, The One Last Party, The One Last Party, TheOneRing.net Community
That means we have 27 hours to go from our current total ($123,470) to $128,470 – if we make it, we’ll get a matching donation of $5k from our generous supporter!
If you’ve been pondering getting that amazing Movie Guide signed by SIX cast members (Thrain perk), or snapping up the last Mirkwood Elves VIP ticket, or snagging the poster with TWELVE signatures (and which INCLUDES a VIP ticket – Gimli perk), then now is the moment!
(And of course, every pledge received will be entered in the draw to win the amazing Dragon Bodice – see below!) (more…)Posted in Alan Lee, Christopher Tolkien, Collectibles, Events, Fans, Fellowship of the Ring, Hobbit Movie, J.R.R. Tolkien, Lord of the Rings, LotR Movies, Meet Ups, Movie Fellowship of the Ring, Movie Return of the King, Movie The Two Towers, Oscar Parties, Return of the King, The Hobbit, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, The One Last Party, The One Last Party, The Two Towers, Tolkien