Archive for the ‘Meet Ups’ Category
Hobbits, and Rangers, and Elves! Not to mention Dwarves, and Easterlings, and Haradrim! All are welcome at Tolkien Forever‘s annual Hall of Fire event on Saturday, October 11. Every year this party seems to grow more elaborate as we take over a massive, multi-tiered yard at a private residence in Glendora, CA, and turn each nook and alcove into a different Middle-earth-themed experience. Share music and poetry in the Rivendell Pavilion, have dinner, supper, and tea in Hobbiton, peruse Smaug’s golden hoard, and raise a pint or three with the crowd in the Flaming Mûmak Tavern. Costumes are highly encouraged (although not required), and like the Hall of Fire in the House of Elrond, everyone is welcome to participate by bringing games, poems, stories, and music to share.
As the event is held at a private residence, the address will be sent to those who RSVP directly on our Facebook event page, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. All ages are welcome, but please be responsible for your children. The party is held in a big backyard with a pool in the middle of it. Some parts of the yard are dimly lit, so please be aware of your surroundings. All party attendees must respect the wishes of the home owners at all times.
For more information and to RSVP, visit the Hall of Fire’s Facebook page. To see pictures from previous events, click here and here! Tolkien Forever is the local Los Angeles Lord of the Rings fan club group and the L.A. Smial of the Tolkien Society.
What: Tolkien Forever’s Annual Hall of Fire Party
Where: Glendora, CA (RSVP to receive address)
When: Saturday, October 11, 2014, 6:00 p.m.
Posted in Events, Fans, Meet Ups, Other Events, Uncategorized
This is just a final reminder that TORn’s big Baggins Birthday Bash will be kicking off on Sunday at noon in Griffith Park. Luckily, the triple digit heat we’ve been having for the past week has finally broken, so it will only by in the low 80′s on Sunday, woohoo. Come celebrate with your fellow Elves, Dwarves, Hobbits and Wizards as we salute our favorite Halfling Heroes, Bilbo and Frodo Baggins. This is a Potluck, so bring some munchies and/or beverages of choice and get ready for one fine party to remember. We’ve set up an Event page on Facebook with all the details, such as maps, directions and a list of items being brought already. So check it out at Baggins Birthday Bash Please RSVP on either the Facebook Event page, listing what you are bringing, or send me an email at Garfeimao@TheOneRing.net. Oh, and remember, there will be a special contest for creating the most creative and/or delicious Middle-earth themed Cake or Cupcakes, so bring it ON!
Posted in Baggins Birthday Bash, Characters, Events, Fans, Hobbit Book, Hobbit Movie, J.R.R. Tolkien, Meet Ups, Movie Fellowship of the Ring, Movie Return of the King, Movie The Two Towers, The Hobbit, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, Tolkien
You’re invited to a Costume Party of Special Magnificence, courtesy of our wonderful friends at Red Carpet Tours!
One Party to rule them all ! Celebrate the release of The 3rd and final Hobbit film – The Battle of the Five Armies!
Red Carpet Tours, The Roxy and Weta Workshop have great pleasure in welcoming you to a grand union of folk – big and small.
Posted in Events, Fans, Headlines, Hobbit Cast News, Hobbit Movie, Meet Ups, Premieres, The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies, TheOneRing.net Announcements, Wellington, WETA Workshop, William Kircher
INVITE YOUR FRIENDS! SPREAD THE WORD!
Southern California Tolkien fans are invited to join in the merriment of TORN’s Annual Baggins Birthday Bash, which will take place on Sunday, Sept 21 starting at noon in Griffith Park in the Mineral Wells area. If you need help finding this location, look at the Directions below and at the Map, which clearly shows Mineral Wells near the Harding Golf Course. We will be celebrating the Birthday of both Bilbo and Frodo Baggins, and rejoicing in each other’s fellowship. (more…)
Posted in Baggins Birthday Bash, Events, Fans, Hobbit Book, Hobbit Movie, Meet Ups, Other Events, The Hobbit, The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
Hawaiian Ringers and all Ringer fans heading to Hawaii this November, Old Toby of Tol Andúnë (The Hawaii Tolkien Society) has written to tell us about their Premiere Party on November 30, 2014.
Posted in Events, Fans, Headlines, Hobbit Movie, Meet Ups, The Hobbit: There and Back Again
For the first time in North America, the complete film trilogy The Lord of the Rings will be presented live, in concert, at the David H. Koch Theater at Lincoln Center, New York, April 8-12, 2015. Beneath a giant screen, the Academy Award-winning scores by Howard Shore will be performed by 250 musicians, on stage, including symphony orchestra, chorus and soloists, in two trilogies, Wednesday-Friday, April 8-10, and Saturday-Sunday, April 11-12. The production is created by CAMI Music, and follows acclaimed concert presentations of the first two films of The Lord of the Rings trilogy at Radio City Music Hall (2009 and 2010).
The Lord of the Rings, In Concert, at Lincoln Center, features the 21st Century Symphony Orchestra & Chorus of Lucerne, Switzerland, conducted by Ludwig Wicki, which specializes in bringing films and their scores to life, and performs an annual program of film concerts at the KKL Luzern. Soloists and chorus for the 2015 trilogy performances at Lincoln Center, as well as related forums and other events, will be announced at a later date.
Posted in Concerts, Crew News, Events, Fans, Film Screenings, Headlines, Howard Shore, Lord of the Rings, LotR Movies, Meet Ups, Movie Fellowship of the Ring, Movie Return of the King, Movie The Two Towers
Peter Kenny and the Brisbane Tolkien Fellowship have some amazing events coming up this September and October to celebrate all things Tolkien. So if you’re going to be in Brisbane from September 21st to October 4th come and join them for some wonderful Hobbity fun. (more…)
Posted in Events, Fans, Headlines, Lectures & Education, Lord of the Rings, Meet Ups, Other Events, The Hobbit, Tolkien, Tolkien Reading Day, Tolkien Toast
Once again the fine folks at American Cinematheque will be privileging us with the chance to watch all twelve glorious hours of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy: Extended Editions on the big screen. The screening will take place at the Aero Theatre in Santa Monica, California, on Saturday, August 30, and the first film kicks off at 1:00pm. There will be a 20-minute intermission between each film, and your nominally awesome TheOneRing.net staffers will be on hand to provide trivia contests and prizes during the breaks. The Meat in the Middle food truck will also be on hand for your elevnses, tea-time, supper, and dinner needs.
Tickets are available online now for $15 ($10 for Cinematheque members). TheOneRing.net is also giving away one pair of tickets to this special screening. How do you win? You show us your #MiddleEarthLife!
Win tickets: Show us your #MiddleEarthLife
Put on your favorite Middle-earth “lifestyle” and upload the best photo of yourself living a #MiddleEarthLife! We are looking for more than just costumes; show us how a Ranger, an Elf of the Woodland Realm, a Dwarf, or a happy Hobbit might enjoy their leisure time at home (or even in the garden). Even Wizards, Orcs, Eagles, or shape-shifting bear men can try their hand at this contest. One winner will receive a pair of tickets to the August 30 LOTR Trilogy screening at the Aero Theatre in Santa Monica.
Imagine if Esquire or Vanity Fair magazines came by to do a “lifestyle interview” of you as a Middle-earth character – what kind of image would be shown as a splash page for your interview? Whether you are shown sporting, relaxing, cooking, gardening, or even other activities like horseback riding or climbing trees to see huge purple butterflies, we are looking for fandom to show us their creativity!
Use hashtag #MiddleEarthLife when you submit your images to Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram. Feel your creativity flow and show us what your lifestyle is like as a character in a casual, fun setting. We will judge entries on how creative the costuming, how appealing the setting, and how closely it ties to the theme. You have until 12:00pm (PST) Wednesday, August 27, 2014, to post your submissions, and the winner will be notified by Thursday, 8/28.
Be sure to use the hashtag #MiddleEarthLife and tell us about your entry!
Posted in Contests, Events, Fans, Film Screenings, Lord of the Rings, LotR Movies, Meet Ups, Movie Fellowship of the Ring, Movie Return of the King, Movie The Two Towers
The annual tradition of determining who won or lost at San Diego Comic-Con is in full swing across the blogosphere. The all-volunteer staff of TheOneRing.net (who always attend on their own accord and dime) experienced all the booths, panels and exclusive lines at SDCC 2014.
After taking it all in, here are just a few reasons we think 2014 SDCC belonged to The Hobbit. (more…)
Posted in Andy Serkis, Benedict Cumberbatch, Cate Blanchett, Collectibles, ComicCon, Conventions, Elijah Wood, Evangeline Lilly, Fans, Graham McTavish, Hobbit Movie, Lee Pace, Luke Evans, Manu Bennett, Meet Ups, WETA Workshop
Attendees at our sold out Laketown Luau SDCC party were treated to a wonderful new photo op featuring Barrel-riding dwarves and Dragon-fighting Bards. Check out the wonderful cosplay and fun photos from all attendees — including Richard Taylor and the WETA team!
Ringmaker Jens Hansen made the photo booth possible, and the Lake-town Luau through the wonderful support of Weta Workshop and Badali Jewelry.
Share these photos and tag your friends! (more…)
Posted in ComicCon, Conventions, Fans, Meet Ups, WETA Workshop
We are so happy to be hosting an ‘offsite event’ here at San Diego Comic Con, and can’t wait to party like Hobbits and Dwarves with you all. So here are a few fast little facts you all need to know about the party.
1) The Laketown Luau is located at the Kona Kai resort and runs from 7pm to 10pm. 1551 Shelter Island drive, San Diego, CA 92106.
2) The Kona Kai is on the TEAL shuttle route, which takes about 30 minutes drive time, each direction. Or you can drive there in about 20 minutes, just take N. Harbor up past the airport, turning left on either Scott road or Rosecrans, the left again onto Shelter Island drive, with the Kona Kai being the last hotel on the island.
3) We are Sold Out. If you did not buy tickets on the Eventbrite page, or get an email from me (Garfeimao), you are not on the guest list. There will be no additional ticket sales at the door beyond those who have received an email from me. The one exception is a contest we are currently running on our Facebook page. Simply leave a comment on the post regarding our newest sponsor, Jens Hansen Ringmaker, and a winner will be chosen and contacted shortly after Noon. They are hosting a complimentary Photo Booth at the party, but were unable to actually attend the party, so they wanted to offer you, the Fans, their tickets. You must either be in San Diego, or able to get here in a rather short period of time in order to take advantage of these tickets.
4) There will be games and contests and prizes, lots of prizes. Everyone will walk out of the party with something, maybe several somethings. Of course, you have to play the games and enter the contest to win the good stuff. Games include: Golfimbul (Goblin head Golf, with a baseball bat), Pin the Black Arrow on the Dragon (try and pin the Dragon in the heart), The Hula costume contest (see below), and there may be a few other little games tossed in for good measure. There is also a Tiki Piñata and the Photo Booth, so lots of fun and games to be had by young and old. This is a Family Friendly event.
5) The one contest that seems to have several people scratching their heads is the Hula dancing costume contest. But it’s quite simple, wear a costume, dance the hula, win something. There will be a prize or three for the best costumes, Tolkien themed and non-Tolkien alike. But there will also be prizes for the best Hula, or the funnest, or funniest, and non-costumed folk are eligible for this aspect. But the thing to remember is everyone entering the costume contest will be asked to Hula, solo or en masse, as you all see fit. We’ve posted Hula tutorials previously, and instead decided to post a general WikiHow post on how to Hula. Check it out at Dance Hula Wiki/How
6) Our Sponsors – This party absolutely would not have happened if a few of our friends had not stepped in to sponsor and support us. In addition to the aforementioned Jens Hansen Ringmaker as a Sponsor, we are also Supported by our long time friends, Badali Jewelry, who have been with TheOneRing.net since the very beginning. Our Co-hosting Sponsor for the party are the good folks over at WETA Workshop . They are graciously bringing several artists and numerous prizes to the event, you are sure to be blown away by some of the items prizes WETA is bringing with them.
7) Autographs – Don’t do it. This is a party, if any cast or crew should show up, be mindful of this fact and just chat, laugh with, and in general have fun with our special guests. Don’t be snapping photos without asking permission first, especially if using a flash. This statement is not an acknowledgment that any special guest will attend, just that it might happen and we’d appreciate you being respectful of this casual atmosphere.
Posted in ComicCon, Events, Fans, Hobbit Book, Hobbit Movie, J.R.R. Tolkien, Meet Ups, Other Events, The Hobbit, The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies, Tolkien, WETA Workshop
Those attending TheOneRing.net’s unauthorized preview of the final Hobbit film at San Diego Comic Con this Thursday (July 24, 2014 5:00pm – 6:00pm Indigo Ballroom, Hilton San Diego Bayfront) will have a chance to share thoughts and feelings with a camera crew. The crew will be on hand previous to the panel (following the living legend George R.R. Martin — appropriately) to capture fans’ thoughts and memories of Middle-earth. (more…)
Posted in ComicCon, Conventions, Events, Fans, Hobbit Movie, Meet Ups, The Hobbit, The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies